20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
I hope t5 and water change will solve your issues.
Thanks Remi we shall see.
High nutrients is really the problem.
As far as lightning goes, white, as Tim said, is for our pleasure/viewing enjoyment.
I think the white spectrum causes algae of all types.
I've always thought this
But we all enjoy different viewing as far as our tank goes and I think I just enjoy the T5's, really.
We'll see where it goes from here.
 
Berghia take a while. Like Kevin said, sometimes a few generations in. I put mine in (3) and saw almost immediate improvement, then an explosion of Aiptasia it seemed like, then slowly it started dwindling again and then, almost overnight it seemed like, all Aiptasia just disappeared.

I was raising 6 or 7 in my 6 gallon while @tharbin was deciding if he wanted them or not and I threw close to 100 Aiptasia in. That was gone in about 2 days. :face-with-tears-of-joy: They were eating them faster than I could harvest from the 135 and the 135 was being steadily and quickly consumed by the remaining Berghia in there.
Wow these are some impressive creatures! Well that settles it. I'm throwing the book at them
 
Man, I'm hoping to see them dwindle soon Tim. They're getting close to a torch and some acans. I'm really glad to hear that you had success with them. Mine is really small lol. He looks like a real PM shrimp fingers crossed.
I got 2 for my 20.
Demolished all of them in 2 days.
 
I found one bubble algae at the base of one of my torches today but I had to leave the house early and couldn't get it off. Is there any reason for this type of algae to appear or could it have come with some coral?
I had a bunch come in on a frag plug. I took them out by hand and it started spreading. Luis, I got an emerald crab and it disappeared in 3 days. I've never seen another single bubble since.
 
Im looking at the 12 frag mount. did you just glue it in place on existing rock in your tank? and do you feel it gives the corals enough room to grow out nicely?
You won't regret your purchase. These are great mounts/shelves.
 
Im looking at the 12 frag mount. did you just glue it in place on existing rock in your tank? and do you feel it gives the corals enough room to grow out nicely?
Welcome to the Smorgasbord!
 
I had a bunch come in on a frag plug. I took them out by hand and it started spreading. Luis, I got an emerald crab and it disappeared in 3 days. I've never seen another single bubble since.
My last experience with an emerald crab wasn't very good, it ended with him in the sewer and me with a dead torch and a super damaged hammer that never recovered.
 
My last experience with an emerald crab wasn't very good, it ended with him in the sewer and me with a dead torch and a super damaged hammer that never recovered.
Oh wow!! Your coral munching tsb is shaking in his boots right now lol
Scared Persuasion GIF by True and the Rainbow Kingdom
 
I'd love to hear the Smorgasbord strategy for aiptasia. What do you all do, or have done?
Note: There is no aiptasia in the second shot. I just thought it was an awesome picture lol!
Screenshot_20250210_113145_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250210_113325_Gallery.jpg
Like others have said, berghia! I added 3 into my 15g. That week I saw lots of eggs. Then th3 next week I saw lots of babies. Still no noticale decrease in aiptasia. And then boom. One morning I woke up, and all of them were gone. Pretty crazy.
 
Like others have said, berghia! I added 3 into my 15g. That week I saw lots of eggs. Then th3 next week I saw lots of babies. Still no noticale decrease in aiptasia. And then boom. One morning I woke up, and all of them were gone. Pretty crazy.
That IS crazy Walker. I bet you thought they weren't going to work until they did one day. I'll have to give them a try for sure
 
Evening everyone. Nothing new today. My wrasse ate one of my new trochus. However some good news the tips of my GHA seem to have a little white on them but I can't tell.
 
squash wasnt even allowed when i was growing up! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: unless it was pumpkin pie! my dad is a no veggies kinda guy!:squinting-face-with-tongue:
I like squash as long as it's cooked with the hibachi method!
 
20250210_110408.jpg
Could be an issue....
Yikes.
Is it the angle of the camera or do you have massive hands Joel??? :face-with-tears-of-joy: your checker looks like half the size of mine when I hold it lol
 
@tbrown Reading your answer about the lights, I realize that I was wrong. I knew that blue lights are necessary for the zooxanthellae living within corals for photosynthesis, but I don't know where I read or someone told me that white lights were more important.
I'm not positive you're wrong, it's just a big argument at this point mainly because there's no scientific studies proving one side or another.

The biggest point towards blue light is that typically white light is filtered out by the water by the time it reaches the typical corals we have in our tanks.

Also, white causes algae growth so the less white you have the better chance of having a lower amount of algae.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new