1.030 specific gravity

UpAcreekWithOutApaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so my solidity is high I mean very high should I do a 25% water change or 50% its a 50g with 10g sump. I plan on going to a 50 g sump tomorrow should i do the water change now or wait till I put the 50g sump in and make sure the solidity is lower than that in the tank so I can bring it down

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in your tank? You need to lower the salinity but I would not do it all at once. Slowly lower it
over the course of a couple days.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ten gallon sump? How frequently do you have to top that off? Do you have an ATO?

A larger sump is going to help you A LOT with stability. I would try and make changes slowly, especially if you have corals in your system. What is your target salinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sg = 1.030 is not an emergency, so do not lower it rapidly. Reef creatures do fine at that salinity and higher in the Red Sea.

I would replace 1 gallon daily with RO/DI water. In a week or so you'll be down to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264). :)

OP
OP
UpAcreekWithOutApaddle

UpAcreekWithOutApaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a new tank only Ben cycling for olmost 2 weaks now. I picked up a hermit crab yesterday just to help it along and its the only thing in the tank besides rock. About once every 3-4 days for top off and no ato yet... My target is about 34ppt I plan on having corals but that's in a few months want to get it established first and get a pod pop going in the refugium

Last edited:
OP
OP
UpAcreekWithOutApaddle

UpAcreekWithOutApaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a gallon of purified water in the sump brought my other 50g from out side in the house going to try and get it set up this weekend or so I hope lol

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 7.3%
Back