1/2 gallon pico build

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the smallest sw tank in history. My 1/2 pico with a hermit crab. I'm getting supply's today, ill send pics of my stuff at some point today. I'll build and start cycling on Saturday, ill send pics of the cycling tank on saturday. When my tanks cycled ill add the following to my 2.5 litre (1/2 gallon tank)

2 yellow tangs
1 unicorn fish
1 bamboo shark

JOKING JOKING, dont worry that was a joke, ill acctally stock it with:

1 blue legged hermit crab
2 zoa
A peice of rock

Ill send posts of the progress throughout the journey of this tank (no joke, I have bigger peices of Tupperware than the tank lol)

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the smallest sw tank in history. My 1/2 pico with a hermit crab. I'm getting supply's today, ill send pics of my stuff at some point today. I'll build and start cycling on Saturday, ill send pics of the cycling tank on saturday. When my tanks cycled ill add the following to my 2.5 litre (1/2 gallon tank)

2 yellow tangs
1 unicorn fish
1 bamboo shark

JOKING JOKING, dont worry that was a joke, ill acctally stock it with:

1 blue legged hermit crab
2 zoa
A peice of rock

Ill send posts of the progress throughout the journey of this tank (no joke, I have bigger peices of Tupperware than the tank lol)
Wait... no tangs? Lol
I want a super Nano so bad. Watching.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All coral start out small! You could try some slow growing sps, or whatever tiny frag catches your eye at the lfs!
This is a half gallon tank I don’t think if he hasn’t thought about evaporation he has considered keeping stuff stable so I wouldn’t recommend any sps. Honestly it would be best just to see how the crab goes for a bit. Best of luck though and keep us updated on how you plan on doing this.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a half gallon tank I don’t think if he hasn’t thought about evaporation he has considered keeping stuff stable so I wouldn’t recommend any sps. Honestly it would be best just to see how the crab goes for a bit. Best of luck though and keep us updated on how you plan on doing this.
Alright! I'm thinking of putting a mark near the top of the tank, if the water goes below the line I'll top the tank up with water, if the water goes above the line I'll take some out. Is this a good udea?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! I'm thinking of putting a mark near the top of the tank, if the water goes below the line I'll top the tank up with water, if the water goes above the line I'll take some out. Is this a good udea?
Seems good to me! Don’t know why you would ever really need to take any out tho.

have you thought about a Nano ato? It would really help keep the tank stable, however for something this small it could be a bit impractical.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems good to me! Don’t know why you would ever really need to take any out tho.

have you thought about a Nano ato? It would really help keep the tank stable, however for something this small it could be a bit impractical.
Great idea, thanks!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would work in theory but depending how fast it evaporates you may not be able to leave it longer than 12-24 hours without a top off and I think on a tank this size that would be shorter. If you are always home and are never away then again in theory this works. I don’t know what top off would do good in a tank that size but I’m sure there is one out there. Like the other person said I don’t know why you would have to take water out so don’t worry about doing that. Not sure if you have messaged @brandon429 or read his article on his nano reef yet but I would strongly suggest it. You could also take a look at some other builds that are similar to what you are doing. I think there was a mini complete tank competition on here with tanks around the size you want to do. Might be good to see how they handled all these issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back