1 Gill Closed, rapid breathing

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Yesterday I noticed Bursa trigger has 1 gill shut, with other gill rapidly beating. No damage and no aggression.
This morning, Emperor Angelfish has one gill closed and other rapidly breathing. I have an annularis that “playfully” chases him sometimes but they are friends. They eat together and swim together and neither has any damage.
pH 8.24, temp 77°F, salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0.01, Nitrat 20, Nitrit 0.02
Rest of the fish are doing fine.
They both refuse to open their gill, it is tightly shut. I’m very worried.
No new fish have been added and it is a fish only tank.
Please help me help these 2 out and prevent others from developing this problem!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your troubles. Can you please post clear photos of the fish?

I have a few questions for you;

Did you add anything new to the tank recently?

How long have you had these fish and
did they go through QT?

Are they still eating?

Besides the clamp gill and heavy bread thing, do you see any visible spots, discoloration, flashing, scratching, yawning, etc??

Let’s start there

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t added anything new.
I’ve had the angel for over 2 years. And the bursa trigger for 6 months. Both went through qt.
I see no damage or dots on their bodies. No scratching.
The bursa is not eating. And i just confirmed that the angels appetite has decreased.
The bursa trigger opened his gill and now both are beating, extremely fast, and he has parked himself in front of a flow. I could not get a picture of the bursa because he is behind a coral.
The picture I have taken of the angel looks like he has dots but i assure you he does not. My acrylic is a bit damaged and theres

0CD390CB-9111-46ED-8349-23C7E515452E.jpeg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t added anything new.
I’ve had the angel for over 2 years. And the bursa trigger for 6 months. Both went through qt.
I see no damage or dots on their bodies. No scratching.
The bursa is not eating. And i just confirmed that the angels appetite has decreased.
The bursa trigger opened his gill and now both are beating, extremely fast, and he has parked himself in front of a flow. I could not get a picture of the bursa because he is behind a coral.
The picture I have taken of the angel looks like he has dots but i assure you he does not. My acrylic is a bit damaged and theres

0CD390CB-9111-46ED-8349-23C7E515452E.jpeg

Thanks. How are your water parameters? Ammonia,etc...

How long has it been since the bursa stopped eating?

Do you have an additional powerhead that you can throw in to agitate the water surface more aggressively to see if that helps?

To confirm nothing was added even snails, inverts, etc?

The fact that the bursa is swimming into flow and increased breathing indicates oxygen depletion and it can indicate signs of velvet but that option doesn't make sense if you haven't added anything in the few months.

Let me know. Thanks

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH 8.24, temp 77°F, salinity 1.026
Ammonia 0.01, Nitrat 20, Nitrit 0.02

It is a fish only tank with a lot of predators so I don’t have any snails or crabs.

Bursas appetite may have started dropping on wednesday (not sure) But now because he is breathing so fast he is refusing to eat. The gill closing thing just happened yesterday to him.

None of the other fish are having trouble breathing. But I’ll add some airstones and a powerhead.
Thank you for the help.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also look out for any aggression issues. Best of luck and keep us posted.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming in to power head is often velvet. Add anything wet recently? Coral?

It can also be low oxygen, the main reason they do that is to force oxygen through their gills

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance a toxin (e.g. household cleaner, bug spray, scented candle) entered the water?? I'd run carbon just to see if that makes any difference. If not, this is likely a disease (e.g. velvet) issue. Also test the water for stray voltage.

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bursa trigger. Both gills beating extremely fast. Has maximum flow and oxygen. Not eating. Same parameters as yesterday. He is alone in a 25 gallon tank since yesterday.

982ABCE8-583E-4A80-9593-99951EE1BE30.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to treat him for velvet. I hope it doesn’t stress him too much. I have no idea what else can cause a fish to breathe so rapidly.

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the bursa trigger has died. Only signs before he died were rapid gill breathing, no appetite, and now a pinched stomach. Lack of water Oxygenation and aggression and bodily damage were not causes of death.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back