10 gallon frag tank set up

spikedangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 10gallon tank as a frag tank/ coral quarantine. I'm going to buy a few frags at a time, QT and observe while they grow out, then add to display if everything is good.

This tank is going to be separate from the display and I was planning to add some snails and one small fish. I have a Jebao pp4 for water flow and I'm using mars hydro led for lighting.

My question is, what kind of filtration is needed here if I'm going to do 10-15% weekly water changes? Space is limited so I was hoping a simple hang on filter would suffice. Any recommendations?

77railer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 rimless setup as a frag/QT and Im using an Aquaclear 70 with active carbon, poly, and biopellets in it. Also using a Jebao SW-8 wide open on random with a Kessil and Black Box LEDs

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to use your frag tank as a fish quarantine tank as well? Can a sick fish transfer it's sickness to coral?

Yes, so long as the fish has something that detaches and forms a cyst (like Ich)

I was tempted to do something similar, but I just don't have the room to setup a second tank... I'm building a sump right now with a 'big' frag section (Okay... Like 16x10, not exactly "big", but just 4" short of a 10g tank).

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can get away with a large hang on the back filter if you are willing to do frequent water changes.I would suggest using activated carbon and some sort of media to catch detritus.A sponge would work out well.Just be sure to squeeze it clean in the dirty water change bucket to preserve beneficial bacteria.I would also add clean live rock to the tank to help promote natural filtration.

OP
OP
spikedangles

spikedangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I think you can get away with a large hang on the back filter if you are willing to do frequent water changes.I would suggest using activated carbon and some sort of media to catch detritus.A sponge would work out well.Just be sure to squeeze it clean in the dirty water change bucket to preserve beneficial bacteria.I would also add clean live rock to the tank to help promote natural filtration.

I'm planning on doing 50% weekly water changes. The tank is bare bottom with live rock so I'll be able to suck up most detritus. I'm doing softies initially so I'm not worried about using carbon in the coral QT/FRAG tank

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a fish in your coral QT tank will make it possible for your corals to bring Ich into the display tank. If in comes in on the coral, it can attach onto your fish, and continue the life cycle. The only way to make sure that doesn't happen is to have your coral QT completely fishless for 72 days.

OP
OP
spikedangles

spikedangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a fish in your coral QT tank will make it possible for your corals to bring Ich into the display tank. If in comes in on the coral, it can attach onto your fish, and continue the life cycle. The only way to make sure that doesn't happen is to have your coral QT completely fishless for 72 days.

Whichever fish goes into the coral QT will have gone through extensive prophylactic QT to prevent this. If the fish shows signs of disease after it is introduced then I will remove it and wait 90 days to introduce corals to the display

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whichever fish goes into the coral QT will have gone through extensive prophylactic QT to prevent this. If the fish shows signs of disease after it is introduced then I will remove it and wait 90 days to introduce corals to the display
The problem is that your fish can be completely Ich free, and still be an issue. Ich can come in on coral frags, and the presence of a fish in the tank will allow it to continue it's life cycle. Leaving your Coral QT fish free will kill any Ich the coral brings in, because being fallow for 72 days is certain to kill off all Ich.

OP
OP
spikedangles

spikedangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that your fish can be completely Ich free, and still be an issue. Ich can come in on coral frags, and the presence of a fish in the tank will allow it to continue it's life cycle. Leaving your Coral QT fish free will kill any Ich the coral brings in, because being fallow for 72 days is certain to kill off all Ich.

I plan to frag all corals before they are put into the tank. New plugs. I want a fish to feed the corals, I'm doing all softies to start. Still a bad idea?

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using it as your QT, I would still advise against it.

It's very easy do dose Amino Acids and whatnot, and use small particulate food like reef roids and reef chili, to feed the corals without having a fish giving you the possibility of perpetuating Ich.

moncheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, I'm trying a similar setup. so if a coral tank fish shows ich, then it will be moved to the QT and treat for 72 days or longer, at the same time the coral tank will fallow for the same amount of time, after that, the tank should be Ich free again, right?
so after the coral tank was initially set up. then the procedure goes
1. add new coral frag
2. watch the tank for 2 months or 72 days
3. if fish start showing symptoms
- move all fish to QT for 72 days , coral tank gets fallow for 72 days
4. if no symptoms, the tank still looks healthy after 72 days
- move the new frag into DT.

does that sound viable?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back