10 gallon LPS tank Lighting

Baseball#27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up guys, i'm looking to upgrade my stock LED's to something better. I have a couple of torch corals, and a hammer and i'll be sticking with lps in the long run. Any suggestions?

CjnBrn2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re only planning to run LPS, I’ve heard great things about the Nemo light but the A80 would work perfect. If only spend the money on the prime if you think down the road you will go with SPS at some point.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up guys, i'm looking to upgrade my stock LED's to something better. I have a couple of torch corals, and a hammer and i'll be sticking with lps in the long run. Any suggestions?

Any budget in mind?

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I like my Kessils, I'm becoming less of a fan of puck style lighting. If you don't mind the aesthetics, I would look into a higher end black box like SB reef lights and reefbreeders.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baseball#27

Baseball#27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I like my Kessils, I'm becoming less of a fan of puck style lighting. If you don't mind the aesthetics, I would look into a higher end black box like SB reef lights.
Is there a big difference between the puck style and the non puck style?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's mostly about coverage. i.e. a Kessil a80 is a tiny cluster that'll spread out to cover your tank. This could lead to shaded areas. The SB Reef Lighting is an upgraded black box that'll basically be the same size as your tank.

I can tell you from personal experience that the Kessil a80 is perfect for your tank. I had one over an Innovative Marine 10 gallon for almost a year and had great growth. Having had a black box, T5 fixtures, AI Prime HDs and Kessils, I can say that the lighting Kessil provides, without question, is my personal favorite. The only thing AI Prime has over Kessil, to me, is that the Prime comes ready to program out of the gate. With Kessil you're not getting any ramp-time unless you also purchase their controller (or have an APEX). I'd recommend watching the videos below. The Black Box & Kessil vids aren't exact matches like the AI Prime HD ones, but they should still give you enough information for you to make your decision.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll vote for Prime. Great versatile light and awesome price for what you get. I currently have one over a display fuge, 24 inches above base because of the mangroves. It’s growing soft coral at that height and even some sps frags.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a YouTube build for budget tanks & he used that light. Think it was Inappropriate Reefer. Looked good and uses quality bulbs. Good idea Dancing Shark!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes and no, it really depends on how many you have. I assume you have a standard 10 gallon tank? If so, I personally would not have fewer than 2 kessil a80's (or better yet, A160's) on a standard 10 gallon, which is over your budget. While it is an issue, shading is not the only issue with single points of light. I had issues with hot spots and severe par drop off when I ran 1 A160 over a 10 gallon coverage area.

I now run T5's over my prop system and am very happy with them. I run 3 A160's over my Reefer 350, if I could do it over (and went with LED's) I would go with a strip or box style fixture.

Now that I think of it, I ran an Orbit Marine over my 10 gallon and while it wasn't perfect, it had great coverage and grew softies, lps and sps just fine.

I think it's mostly about coverage. i.e. a Kessil a80 is a tiny cluster that'll spread out to cover your tank. This could lead to shaded areas. The SB Reef Lighting is an upgraded black box that'll basically be the same size as your tank.

I can tell you from personal experience that the Kessil a80 is perfect for your tank. I had one over an Innovative Marine 10 gallon for almost a year and had great growth. Having had a black box, T5 fixtures, AI Prime HDs and Kessils, I can say that the lighting Kessil provides, without question, is my personal favorite. The only thing AI Prime has over Kessil, to me, is that the Prime comes ready to program out of the gate. With Kessil you're not getting any ramp-time unless you also purchase their controller (or have an APEX). I'd recommend watching the videos below. The Black Box & Kessil vids aren't exact matches like the AI Prime HD ones, but they should still give you enough information for you to make your decision.

While those are great videos, the black box video really only applies to the cheap Chinese boxes and not "premium" fixtures like SB reef lights and Reef Breeders.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no, it really depends on how many you have. I assume you have a standard 10 gallon tank? If so, I personally would not have fewer than 2 kessil a80's (or better yet, A160's) on a standard 10 gallon, which is over your budget. While it is an issue, shading is not the only issue with single points of light. I had issues with hot spots and severe par drop off when I ran 1 A160 over a 10 gallon coverage area.

I now run T5's over my prop system and am very happy with them. I run 3 A160's over my Reefer 350, if I could do it over (and went with LED's) I would go with a strip or box style fixture.

Now that I think of it, I ran an Orbit Marine over my 10 gallon and while it wasn't perfect, it had great coverage and grew softies, lps and sps just fine.

While those are great videos, the black box video really only applies to the cheap Chinese boxes and not "premium" fixtures like SB reef lights and Reef Breeders.
"The Black Box & Kessil vids aren't exact matches like the AI Prime HD ones, but they should still give you enough information for you to make your decision." The primary difference is that SB has a better spectrum.

OP
OP
Baseball#27

Baseball#27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What SB reef light do you think would go well with my tank? I also think that more of a bar type light would go better because it would cover the tank more than if it was just one circle light in one area. Also, Which of these lights come with controls that are easy to use to adjust the different colors of lights and time. Like I.E. an app that comes with the light

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. The prettiest 10 gallon softy nano I’ve ever seen had a kessil over it. Highly recommend!

OP
OP
Baseball#27

Baseball#27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The Black Box & Kessil vids aren't exact matches like the AI Prime HD ones, but they should still give you enough information for you to make your decision." The primary difference is that SB has a better spectrum.
I did really like the videos, What do you think is better AI Prime, Kessil, or SB

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I disagree, the build quality, heatsink, power supply, etc, puts SB and Reefbreeders on a totally different level than the cheap Chinese boxes. The similarity ends at the style of fixture imho.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just go with a prime, leaves room for more demanding corals down the road if you so choose!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 78.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back