six foot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do we start? I was given a 100 gallon long 72x18x18 about 10 years ago. I bought a 75 gallon that was up and running about two years ago to get my hands wet before I stared the build. Also to find out what I liked and did not like as well as I had zero knowledge on anything regarding a reef tank. for the last two years I have learned alot and still really know nothing at all it seems sometimes.

I decided building the stand high, and large enough for a bigger tank later, wanted to drill the glass (fingers were crossed that it was not tempered and it was not) install an overflow box, a large sump the 75 will be used.
So where am I at the moment.
The stand frame is complete less skin 76'' long, 25'' wide, 36'' high.
Drilled the tank for a Eshopps Eclipes L plummed with 1'' lines, unions, and gate valves
Jebao DCP 8000 8000 LH my conversion puts it at 2113 gph and 3 foot head about 1452 GPH.
running at half power its very quiet and I have not tweeked is yet. most of the flow in the tank will be from the max spec gyers.

Running plumbing today leak check and I just needed to play a little. Overflow has no ploblem at all handling the pump from off to wide open and the bean animal took over. To get the 90 elbows to street 90 to fit I had to cut them down on the table saw removing approimatley half of the glueing area no worries beacuse its a drain and under O pressure. Drilled a 3/16 hole in the secondary drain to stop a full syphon untill completely under water.

I have the drains running into a small sump working perfectly for the trials. return line is 1 1/4'' flex to a PVC parts and pieces to get the water back ing the DT.

pics and video to follow!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
waiting for the pics....

Sounds good so far. You are correct with the zero pressure. Even returns for our tanks are under very little pressure. I get people all the time that want Sch80 and I always tell them that unless they like the grey for the look that it certainly does not matter.

OP
OP
six foot

six foot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t figured out how to post video of the eclipse running wide open.

CA4F09FE-7F41-4C09-8FEC-AAF0E968C7E3.png

OP
OP
six foot

six foot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short clip of overflow running at about 1500 gph comming soon

OP
OP
six foot

six foot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing finished leak testing underway.

Both return bulkheads were leaking tried everything had no choice but to use silicone on the rubber washers and we are now up and running. I had a the worst time tuning the main drain full siphon. It was taking several minutes to break what I can only discribe as a vapor lock, for the main drain to take over on the bean animal style drain with the main drain below the resting water level in the sump. I'm sure someone much smarter than I has figured this out however my quick fix to break the air lock was very simple. With the main drain line submerged in the sump, creating the air lock, and pump off I marked the resting sump water level on the drain line. Then drilled a 9/32 hole right at the waterline exposing the hole to air, this allows the trapped air to escape. Being just above the resting waterlevel once the pump is turned on the water level in the sump rises covering the hole just after the air lock is eliminated and a full siphon is completed in approximatley 30 seconds and the gurgleing stops.

The hole ellimitaning the air lock is shown at the begining of the video.

OP
OP
six foot

six foot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally up and running, kinda feel like Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time". Thanks to all on this site for information to assist in the build. I'm not done but I am satisfied so far. Got the overflow and return tuned in and shes running almost silent, skimmer is the real noise maker but also nearly undetectable.

next project is to turn the old 75 gallon into a sump with half of it being a refugium.

I have more rock to add but drying out in the sun to get rid of the mushrooms which plagued the 75
IMG_1791.JPG

Manual controller ME!

IMG_1792.JPG

Under the HOOD
IMG_1793.JPG

Return plumbing and manifold / far right gate valve for full siphon from Eshopps Overflow
IMG_1794.JPG

lights, return pump, and Maxspect Gyre 250 controllers
IMG_1795.JPG

Stand with full front door, going to dress it up a bit later with some molding.
IMG_1791.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

OP
OP
six foot

six foot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon dyi sump. 25 gallon refugium. Working on getting the skimmer tuned in and running level in the return section. Going to try the triton style sump.

This has to be the slowest reef tank build ever!

image.jpeg

OP
OP
six foot

six foot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer was running great until I put it in the bigger sump. Different water height in here driving me nuts. Lol

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back