100 gallon rimless tank build ( started from the bottom)

Flameangel08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I would like to share my story to other reefers out there who get discouraged about reef building. I have gone through the ups and downs of building a reef (not to mention a lot of money) to something I can finally call my master piece (that is still in the process of growing). I first started out with a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I will skip that and go straight to when I turned it into saltwater. This was about 4 years ago and I didn't know a thing. I was ignorant about the true knowledge of reefs and just wanted something nice to look at. This was the equipment. T8 lights, on for 24/7..... Fake rock, crushed coral, and two emperor 400 filters. NOTHING else. To my surprise, I was able to keep a clownfish, damsel and sailfin tang. I never did water changes (didnt even know about that), and topped off with straight tap water from the hose. This went along for about 4 years. One day, I was on the internet looking for a new fish to put in. I came across this forum. Started to read and WOW was I going down the wrong path. Fast forwarding to re-setting up the 55 gallon (the right way), I put live rock in, live sand, protein skimmer, t5 lights, and some powerheads. unfortunately, none of the old fish survived. They were too shocked in the new tank and died within a week. So now i got really discouraged. after having many fish die in the new tank, I gave up. I ended up selling it. With the money I had made, I put it towards a new tank. I did a lot of research, watched videos, read books to the point where I felt comfortable starting over. I chose the CADLIGHT 100 gallon rimless. It came with a sump, protein skimmer, pumps and all the plumbing. For my lights, I chose the AI sols. ATO is a tunze. Powerheads are two mp10's. I have a UV and phosphate reactor. Today, is about 8 months of the new tank setup. Man am I pleased. I now house over 20 different corals, mostly lps, (I dont think Im ready for sps) and 7 fish. Including two designer clownfish. I will post some pics of my new creation and share anything you guys would like to know. My advice is to never give up and do proper research before jumping into a new hobby. Enjoy !!

Attachments

• DSC_0243.jpg
    DSC_0243.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC_0244.jpg
    DSC_0244.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC_0245.jpg
    DSC_0245.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC_0299.jpg
    DSC_0299.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC_0279.jpg
    DSC_0279.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 366
OP
OP
F

Flameangel08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Started 100% dry with marco rocks. Really happy with my choice. Do you know how I can change my thread title? Its supposed to say 100 not ! 00 :/

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautifull tank keep it up.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful! What's the dimensions of the tank?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI Sols too but hate the original controller for them. A lot of ppl on here have Sols. Today I ordered the VDM module for Apex from BRS that controls AI Sols. It's gotta work better than AI's controller.

newe70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank like yours...extremely pleased with my Cadlights tank.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! You know you can adjust most hinges to get your doors to line up perfectly. I just did my doors, and I'm OCD that way, LOL! Great scape too!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back