100 PAR okay for Dersa clam?

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read and heard they need around 200 PAR. I’m keeping my Dersa clam in an LPS tank, and those numbers are only at the top of the rocks. Will it be okay long term? The tank is very turbid with organic food to filter feed on.
BC73210F-B737-4E58-B8A2-F77E67B8E2E9.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tridacna clams get like 1% of their energy needs from filter feeding. It is debatable if feeding them is even helpful (as in most cases, people are "supplemental" feeding them to compensate). James Fatheree has an excellent book on tridacna clams, worth a read. They thrive on very high light--you can't give them too much light. You might try a Kessil LED with 30 degree reflector to essentially put a spotlight on your clam. Might work.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i‘ve got a mixed reef with mostly lps and I keep the par near the bottom in the middle around 200. You can ramp the PAR a bit. Here’s the PAR readings. I’ve got torches and Gonis in much higher par than that
1693972604803.jpeg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you keep your Deresa in some sort of a craddle-move clam up, built a platform higher on the rocks and put clam there.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

200+ PAR for A baby, and more as they grow. I keep having to say this: mass increases at the cubic root whereas surface area increases at the square root. Not exact for clams, but closer than not. Therefore, the larger they are, the more light they may require.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way would I keep one at 100 par. I killed clams before getting a par meter.
My derasa that I have now is on the bottom and getting 300 par and my maxima 350 par. They are thriving. Placing one under 100 par is just setting yourself up for failure and will end in the death of a clam. IMO

OP
OP
L

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I’m new to clams. Mostly prefer coral but I couldn’t turn down a good deal. I’ll make sure to get this baby under 200 PAR with a Kessil lense. I have an extra a360x that will be perfect for this.

OP
OP
L

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i‘ve got a mixed reef with mostly lps and I keep the par near the bottom in the middle around 200. You can ramp the PAR a bit. Here’s the PAR readings. I’ve got torches and Gonis in much higher par than that
1693972604803.jpeg
Interesting, is there any benefit you’ve seen to keeping your Gonis under higher light intensity?
My tank is primarily Goniopora (7 at the moment) and Hammers, I’m nervous to go that high as I just don’t want to cause problems.

I’m actually plumbing a 20G cube into my 160G now as a side tank to do something else with, I may put my clam in there and that can be his tank.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, is there any benefit you’ve seen to keeping your Gonis under higher light intensity?
My tank is primarily Goniopora (7 at the moment) and Hammers, I’m nervous to go that high as I just don’t want to cause problems.

I’m actually plumbing a 20G cube into my 160G now as a side tank to do something else with, I may put my clam in there and that can be his tank.
Well they certainly don’t seem to mind it for the most part. It partially seems to depend which vendor I’ve gotten them from. These is are the ones at 279 par
IMG_8433.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I’m new to clams. Mostly prefer coral but I couldn’t turn down a good deal. I’ll make sure to get this baby under 200 PAR with a Kessil lense. I have an extra a360x that will be perfect for this.
Careful when you add the reflector lens to the a360x, it concentrates PAR pretty drastically, so make sure to start low and acclimate up. Clam will thank you for it! And derasas get so big it will fill in that "spotlight" space, no problem.

OP
OP
L

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they certainly don’t seem to mind it for the most part. It partially seems to depend which vendor I’ve gotten them from. These is are the ones at 279 par
IMG_8433.jpeg
I’m pretty sure I have that same pink Goni, one of my favorites. I think it was used to higher par it was kept in an SPS tank. May try to move it up a bit and see how it does.

Attachments

• 4823E9A5-1AA1-49E6-9307-C8AEA43643A1.jpeg
    4823E9A5-1AA1-49E6-9307-C8AEA43643A1.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 054B5F84-EF17-4CB4-8A29-F42224C9AF53.jpeg
    054B5F84-EF17-4CB4-8A29-F42224C9AF53.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 38

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. Because Goniopora are commercially aquacultured for the medical field, there is a lot of research about them. They only need ~90 PAR in the violet/blue spectrum for 6 hours a day. Anything else doesn't affect growth. That being said, mine are under 200+ just due to the nature of my aquarium. It doesn't harm them, it just doesn't lead to an increase in growth.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful when you add the reflector lens to the a360x, it concentrates PAR pretty drastically, so make sure to start low and acclimate up. Clam will thank you for it! And derasas get so big it will fill in that "spotlight" space, no problem.
Clams don't need acclimation. They're farmed under direct sunlight at 1000-2000+ PAR, hobbyists are unlikely to hit that. They also self acclimate if need be by reducing mantle extension and/or producing more light blocking pigments.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We need to change the way we think about lighting clams in terms of numbers, just like water parameters have a wide (acceptable) range to create good chemistry, clams have a wide range of intensity in which they can grow. Whenever I see a number thrown out in regards to lighting clams, I kind of cringe, because it sends the message that it's the goal and the clam will grow just fine. This isn't the case at all. We need to stop thinking of bare minimums when lighting clams, we need to think about health. Clams receive well over 100% of their nutrition from their mantle (simplified version), which is driven by light. So why would you barely give it what it needs? That's like putting 2 gallons of gas in your car, expecting to make a 200 mile trip. The par numbers that most people read are minimums and not the end goal. Ultimately, the clam will tell you if you have enough light or not. If you don't see new shell growth in a matter of days, you simply do not have enough light. All clams (especially smaller ones) will have active growth margins that you can visible see and measure over the course of a few days.
To give an example, I brought home a derasa that was around 3" from a LFS (traded some duncan frags for it, win, win), the clam looked healthy, but there wasn't any growth on the shell. I told the employees that they needed to give their clams more light (as most of the clams barely had any new growth). They kind of shrugged it off, as they said the lights looked really bright to them :rolleyes: and we all know that 3 XR15s are plenty of light for a shallow 4' frag tank :rolleyes::rolleyes:
After putting the clam in my 10g nano, it only took a couple days and it grew 2mm. So the numbers you see should be starting points, not the end goal. Feed your clams plenty of light, lots of light and they will grow and be happy, healthy clams.

OP
OP
L

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to change the way we think about lighting clams in terms of numbers, just like water parameters have a wide (acceptable) range to create good chemistry, clams have a wide range of intensity in which they can grow. Whenever I see a number thrown out in regards to lighting clams, I kind of cringe, because it sends the message that it's the goal and the clam will grow just fine. This isn't the case at all. We need to stop thinking of bare minimums when lighting clams, we need to think about health. Clams receive well over 100% of their nutrition from their mantle (simplified version), which is driven by light. So why would you barely give it what it needs? That's like putting 2 gallons of gas in your car, expecting to make a 200 mile trip. The par numbers that most people read are minimums and not the end goal. Ultimately, the clam will tell you if you have enough light or not. If you don't see new shell growth in a matter of days, you simply do not have enough light. All clams (especially smaller ones) will have active growth margins that you can visible see and measure over the course of a few days.
To give an example, I brought home a derasa that was around 3" from a LFS (traded some duncan frags for it, win, win), the clam looked healthy, but there wasn't any growth on the shell. I told the employees that they needed to give their clams more light (as most of the clams barely had any new growth). They kind of shrugged it off, as they said the lights looked really bright to them :rolleyes: and we all know that 3 XR15s are plenty of light for a shallow 4' frag tank :rolleyes::rolleyes:
After putting the clam in my 10g nano, it only took a couple days and it grew 2mm. So the numbers you see should be starting points, not the end goal. Feed your clams plenty of light, lots of light and they will grow and be happy, healthy clams.
Thanks for explaining it this way. I will be doing more research on clams, as I’ve found out I don’t know much.
I want my little clam to get as much as he needs, which sounds like as much as I can give it.
I moved it to an empty 20 gallon cube I’ve been planning on plumbing into my main tank for some time. It’s in about 250 PAR now but I’m going to move that closer to 1000 this weekend. I have another Kessil a360x I’ll add and see if it boosts it, and an AI Hydra 32HD I’ve been using as a refugium light. My refugium is getting 1200+ PAR at the surface so maybe I’ll just go with the Hydra.

Attachments

• 9C967208-8D74-49DE-9A95-0AB2D33FE7BD.jpeg
    9C967208-8D74-49DE-9A95-0AB2D33FE7BD.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 37
  • C76FD05C-1C44-4DD5-AB17-6694E86F68C9.jpeg
    C76FD05C-1C44-4DD5-AB17-6694E86F68C9.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 33
  • B203C280-7A8A-4487-BD2A-3F91D388974C.jpeg
    B203C280-7A8A-4487-BD2A-3F91D388974C.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 34

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for explaining it this way. I will be doing more research on clams, as I’ve found out I don’t know much.
I want my little clam to get as much as he needs, which sounds like as much as I can give it.
I moved it to an empty 20 gallon cube I’ve been planning on plumbing into my main tank for some time. It’s in about 250 PAR now but I’m going to move that closer to 1000 this weekend. I have another Kessil a360x I’ll add and see if it boosts it, and an AI Hydra 32HD I’ve been using as a refugium light. My refugium is getting 1200+ PAR at the surface so maybe I’ll just go with the Hydra.
I don’t think you need that much power. I would start at 250+ and see how the clam does. If you don’t see new growth in a couple days, increase by 50-100 micro moles. Also, but James Fatherree’s book on clams from Amazon.

OP
OP
L

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you need that much power. I would start at 250+ and see how the clam does. If you don’t see new growth in a couple days, increase by 50-100 micro moles. Also, but James Fatherree’s book on clams from Amazon.
My clam has been happy and open under those lights so I’m not changing anything for the time being. I did add the 35 degree reflector though, man does it do it’s job.

Thanks for the book suggestion. Clams are incredibly interesting, I may have to make room for a few more lol.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My clam has been happy and open under those lights so I’m not changing anything for the time being. I did add the 35 degree reflector though, man does it do it’s job.

Thanks for the book suggestion. Clams are incredibly interesting, I may have to make room for a few more lol.
As long as you see new growth on the shell, you’re good to go. A clam that small, you should see a good growth margin.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back