jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
schuran_aquarium_drawing.jpg
Happy new year everyone!

First working day after the new year and it was nice to find an email from Julia at Schuran with a drawing of the tank. Build time is now 8-10 weeks so a bit longer than hoped for but works OK with everything else I have to do before it arrives.

Drilled:
I have 2 x 50mm outlets planed for water to exit to the sump and 2 x 32mm returns. I will have 2 return pumps so there is a fail safe it one fails etc.

Circulation:
Still not decided on circulation. Could go with powerheads as its easy and straight forward but I hate how they look from the side view. Closed loop system would be much neater. Really interested to hear peoples opinions here!
Look into the Gyre Powerhead/pumps. http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-xf130-gyre-generator-830 the link takes a bit to load. I have two in my 72 /273 liter and they move some water. I also like them for the reason the are not big and ugly orbs everywhere in the tank. They also have a 150 size.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Circulation: Still not decided on circulation. Could go with powerheads as its easy and straight forward but I hate how they look from the side view. Closed loop system would be much neater. Really interested to hear peoples opinions here!

Mark:

Don't be afraid to go with the closed loop. I too didn't like the idea of seeing power heads (mine is set up as a peninsula) so I went CL on a 120g. With some of the newer DC pumps, they don't have to be the power consumers they used to be. Having said that, I did end up adding a Maxspect Gyre XF150 to suppliment the CL. This is only because I messed up on my CL design...lol. It's mounted on the wall-end and you it's not blatantly obvious. They do move a ton of water, so if the CL isn't an option, take a look at them as well.

Now get back to waiting on the delivery!

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the Gyre Powerhead/pumps. http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-xf130-gyre-generator-830 the link takes a bit to load. I have two in my 72 /273 liter and they move some water. I also like them for the reason the are not big and ugly orbs everywhere in the tank. They also have a 150 size.

I am running a Maxspect Gyre in my current tank. It's OK but not overly impressed and I think it's noisy so I tend to run it low

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Maxspect Gyre in my current tank. It's OK but not overly impressed and I think it's noisy so I tend to run it low

We were typing at the same time. Interesting comment on the Gyre. I do not hear mine at all, but I can only run it at a max. of about 60% or it blows the sand off the bottom of the tank!

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark:

Don't be afraid to go with the closed loop. I too didn't like the idea of seeing power heads (mine is set up as a peninsula) so I went CL on a 120g. With some of the newer DC pumps, they don't have to be the power consumers they used to be. Having said that, I did end up adding a Maxspect Gyre XF150 to suppliment the CL. This is only because I messed up on my CL design...lol. It's mounted on the wall-end and you it's not blatantly obvious. They do move a ton of water, so if the CL isn't an option, take a look at them as well.

Now get back to waiting on the delivery!

Have to admit I'm leaning more and more towards a closed loop system.
What did you do wrong in yours David, what would you change?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were typing at the same time. Interesting comment on the Gyre. I do not hear mine at all, but I can only run it at a max. of about 60% or it blows the sand off the bottom of the tank!
I would contact Coral view and let them know the you are having a noise issue. like @dbl was saying I can not hear mine.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to admit I'm leaning more and more towards a closed loop system.
What did you do wrong in yours David, what would you change?

This was my first aquarium so I did several things wrong! My CL outlets are actually over the top (hidden by canopy) and the two outlets are on the opposite end of the peninsula, at the top of the display. I figured those two outlets, along with the two from my return, would be sufficient. Turns out I was wrong. Again, this was my first go at this hobby so I had no idea what I was doing. Some probably still wonder if I do now.

In hind sight, I would have had more holes drilled in the display bottom and incorporated the outlets in to the rock work like it should have been. It worked out fine at first, but I started adding SPS corals (for which I've been lucky and they have really grown in the year), and they required additional flow. I wasn't about to drain the tank and redo the CL, so I went with the Gyre. If there is ever a "next" tank, I will certainly go with a CL system, only a well designed well next time!

If you haven't looked in to the Ecotech DC pumps, you might want to. They seem pretty promising. It's what I will replace my CL pump with when the time comes. They actually have a CL mode program built in to them. The reviews I've read thus far are pretty good.

I certainly don't want to derail this thread, but to give you an example of what I'm talking about (also so you can see the Gyre doesn't distract all that much), I'm linking a video capture I did from my webcam. (I did this to show another member the images of the particular webcam I use). You'll see the two CL outlets at the top right, one of the two return outlets at the top left, and the Gyre on the left mounted inside my overflow box.

As I always like to say, these are only my opinions and should be taken as such.

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first aquarium so I did several things wrong! My CL outlets are actually over the top (hidden by canopy) and the two outlets are on the opposite end of the peninsula, at the top of the display. I figured those two outlets, along with the two from my return, would be sufficient. Turns out I was wrong. Again, this was my first go at this hobby so I had no idea what I was doing. Some probably still wonder if I do now.

In hind sight, I would have had more holes drilled in the display bottom and incorporated the outlets in to the rock work like it should have been. It worked out fine at first, but I started adding SPS corals (for which I've been lucky and they have really grown in the year), and they required additional flow. I wasn't about to drain the tank and redo the CL, so I went with the Gyre. If there is ever a "next" tank, I will certainly go with a CL system, only a well designed well next time!

If you haven't looked in to the Ecotech DC pumps, you might want to. They seem pretty promising. It's what I will replace my CL pump with when the time comes. They actually have a CL mode program built in to them. The reviews I've read thus far are pretty good.

I certainly don't want to derail this thread, but to give you an example of what I'm talking about (also so you can see the Gyre doesn't distract all that much), I'm linking a video capture I did from my webcam. (I did this to show another member the images of the particular webcam I use). You'll see the two CL outlets at the top right, one of the two return outlets at the top left, and the Gyre on the left mounted inside my overflow box.

As I always like to say, these are only my opinions and should be taken as such.

Great film! You know there is always a next tank! haha

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12583760_10153291467060911_704954276_n.jpg
Artificial Corals!
This is a subject that often gets a lot of grief on forums. Any time people see them they feel the need to start talking about plastic and how terrible it is. Almost as if you haven't earned the right to keep fish if you don't have a full reef.
I disagree, not every display is the same, I think artificial reefs and corals have very valid applications.

This is one of those. As I will be keeping potential coral eating tank mates I have chosen to take this route and welcome the challenge to make a nice display and environment for my fish.

Today I received my first shipment of Aqua Decor artificial corals I will be trying. ATM UK are the European distributors and from what I have seen so far I think they look great!
12540218_10153291467000911_1374105008_n.jpg
12576315_10153291466865911_1256281186_n.jpg
12576368_10153291466825911_106309121_n.jpg
12583864_10153291466950911_1860722956_n.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates?? Been a long time!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ready to see this thing up and running man!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be some delays on construction of his house. It is cold in Norway right now.

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys sorry for the lack of updates. Had a crazy couple of months on the house.

The tank is delayed from Schuran. Latest news is it's 3 weeks away now.

I have been busy insulating which is a horrible job but managed this week to start on the framing that will sit over and around the metal stand.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458854561.751624.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458854620.442615.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458854646.905581.jpg

Hope to get the metal stand in over the next couple of weeks.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be nice when it is done. That Pepsi will kill you, drink beer:D

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I can promise you there is more empty beer than Pepsi!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I can promise you there is more empty beer than Pepsi!
Until seeing you standing in the tank space, one really realizes how darn big that tank is going to be.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, that looks crazy already!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man oh man! That's going to be a great space! Look at all those windows! Going to be a huge tank... can't wait to see more!

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Even though I know the size of the tank it was something else to see the frame go up. I just want to tank to arrive now!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back