OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, not really fish related but a few have asked me now so heres a few shots of outside. Both build projects go hand in hand right now so I guess its ok.
We live in Norway but my brother lives in whistler so the house is inspired from our visits to Canada.

12903614_10153437987515911_1140160747_o.jpg
12887397_10153437987530911_2088065729_o.jpg
Here's the front and back side of the house.

12443420_10153437987470911_1760049059_o.jpg
12903952_10153437987395911_606189070_o.jpg
Heres the deck 2 weeks apart!

12896350_10153437987445911_1699136723_o.jpg
Youve seen out ther main windows from the back of the house, these are the window upstairs on the other side. This is the kids bedrooms.

12887362_10153437987410911_1720326873_o.jpg
The idea of the house was to bring the outside in.

More on the aquarium next time!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showing the wife the Build and she is asking what the wood is on the outside of the house? Really nice place to build a house. Don't give away the address or you will have all kinds of people showing up wanting to see the build. But then again you could run tours and make a few bucks to pay for corals;)

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showing the wife the Build and she is asking what the wood is on the outside of the house? Really nice place to build a house. Don't give away the address or you will have all kinds of people showing up wanting to see the build. But then again you could run tours and make a few bucks to pay for corals;)

Its Norwegian pine, direct translation is core wood. It is cut from the center of the tree where the rings are tight. You dont need to paint or varnish it. It will go from light brown to dark brown to a grey color as it ages.
There's always people coming up for a nosey, I already have the first aquarium for this project it was actually smashed in the bottom glass by someone being curious so the schuran tank is the replacement.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get one of these and paint it in the yard with a no trespassing sign

Last edited:

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rammed you make it of stainless steel, ally 304 as a minimum or alloy 316 if possible. 316 alloy stainless steel is specifically designed to head off rust. I used 2" stainless steel, TIG welded, square tube to make the stand for my similarly sized tank. I do not recall off-hand what the tube wall thickness is. I have a lot fewer legs, eight in all, leaving lots of room underneath for whatever you need it for. I cannot lift the stand, but I could pick up an end and move it around easily before I mounted the tank on it. Two of us could easily lift it and move it. That low weight turned out to be more important than I had thought it would be.

Static and dynamic structural analyses performed by a professional structural analyst show that my stand is much stronger in each axis both in straight deflection and in rotational deflection.

Pm me if you want more info.

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rammed you make it of stainless steel, ally 304 as a minimum or alloy 316 if possible. 316 alloy stainless steel is specifically designed to head off rust. I used 2" stainless steel, TIG welded, square tube to make the stand for my similarly sized tank. I do not recall off-hand what the tube wall thickness is. I have a lot fewer legs, eight in all, leaving lots of room underneath for whatever you need it for. I cannot lift the stand, but I could pick up an end and move it around easily before I mounted the tank on it. Two of us could easily lift it and move it. That low weight turned out to be more important than I had thought it would be.

Static and dynamic structural analyses performed by a professional structural analyst show that my stand is much stronger in each axis both in straight deflection and in rotational deflection.

Pm me if you want more info.

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure which grade he has planned for the stand but i will ask and find out. I may pick your brains later about your stand. Anywhere I can save weight and maintain strength is great.
What did you choose to put between your stand and aquarium?

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3/4" marine plywood on top of the stand. On top of the plywood I have a layer of 4'x8'x1/8" white plastic sheet that I use extensively in my equipment room to help ward off water damage. The plastic sheet is glued down to the plywood with a sealant that was carefully chosen to bond to the specific kind of plastic that the sheet is made of. I get the plastic sheet from Home Depot. I can probably get you the Home Depot part number for the plastic sheet material.

I also lag screwed short pieces of 2x4 lumber onto to bottom side of the plywood. These pieces of wood butt up against the top horizontal frame members, preventing the plywood from being able to shift in any direction when mounting the tank on top of it. There are very strong horizontal forces on the plywood when sliding the very heavy tank into its final position. Without these wood pieces I could not have gotten the tank positioned squarely on the plywood surface without the plywood having moved. That leads to adjusting the wood's position under the tank. Then adjusting the tank's position and then the wood's position, ... oops the tank is crooked again ...and on and on.

Also, I made the plywood 6 inches wider than the tank, front to back dimension. The tank is centered on the plywood such that I have a 3" lip in front and in back of the tank. The front lip supports a marble ledge. The rear lip is topped with the same plastic sheet as is under the tank. I work on the tank from the rear, so water and spillage cannot seep under the plastic sheet and dampen the wood, eventually supporting wood rot, even though the wood is marine grade plywood.

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet that whoever is making your stand will not use stainless steel unless you direct him to. You should deal with this issue right away before it is too late too change it. Believe me, a steel stand will rust. It will get started rusting within days of first getting saltwater on it, even just a smear of a few drops of saltwater. Once it starts you will not be able to stop it from worsening and becoming increasingly unsightly.

Stainless steel will "stain less." 316 alloy stainless steel will really resist corrosion very well. It is more expensive, though, than other stainless steel alloys. Not just anyone can weld stainless steel properly. It requires TIG welding. So your guy may have a conflict of interest in this.

By the way, stainless steel really looks nice. It requires no cosmetic help.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet that whoever is making your stand will not use stainless steel unless you direct him to. You should deal with this issue right away before it is too late too change it. Believe me, a steel stand will rust. It will get started rusting within days of first getting saltwater on it, even just a smear of a few drops of saltwater. Once it starts you will not be able to stop it from worsening and becoming increasingly unsightly.

Stainless steel will "stain less." 316 alloy stainless steel will really resist corrosion very well. It is more expensive, though, than other stainless steel alloys. Not just anyone can weld stainless steel properly. It requires TIG welding. So your guy may have a conflict of interest in this.

By the way, stainless steel really looks nice. It requires no cosmetic help.
What do you think about powder coating the stand? if @x_burt can not get the stainless. Powder coating would save a lot on cost and have a lock tight bond and coating the would not rust.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about powder coating the stand?

Better than no coating, but will chip, breakdown, and finally rust will begin.

Once a chip or a crack starts to rust, the integrity of the coating is compromised. Rust will spread underneath the powder coating. This is often seen in powder coated bird cages. The joints between the wires start rusting. Rusting then accelerates.

It is the same with various "rust proofing" paints. They work until a scar, scratch or chip compromises the seal the paint provides.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better than no coating, but will chip, breakdown, and finally rust will begin.

Once a chip or a crack starts to rust, the integrity of the coating is compromised. Rust will spread underneath the powder coating. This is often seen in powder coated bird cages. The joints between the wires start rusting. Rusting then accelerates.

It is the same with various "rust proofing" paints. They work until a scar, scratch or chip compromises the real the paint provides.
True, but It give him an option if stainless is not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back