1000gal DT build

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little FYI - one is not supposed to use teflon tape on threaded PVC fittings. Because of how the fittings are manufactured using teflon tape can, and often does, lead to leaks.

I've been lead to believe it's actually because the teflon tape allows you to over tighten the fitting, which causes the leaking. So it's indirectly, directly responsible haha.

@ATL REEF -- Either way, I might suggest plumbers paste instead. It does the same thing without allowing you to over tighten fittings.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to plumb it with out leflon tape?

There are sealants made especially for threaded plastic. One of them is below the link to Lasco which is a giant PVC producer.

http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

Screenshot_20190308-143217_Chrome.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great info, I’m gonna have to redo some more plumbing with that! I appreciate it!

You got it, buddy! The only reason I know about this is because an "old school" plumber told me about it while we were running plumbing in a house. This was a little over 20 years ago and I thought to myself, "This old guy doesn't know what he's talking about! I've been using Teflon tape on my tanks and other plumbing for 10 years, at least. Sure, I've had some leaks but that's due to bad manufacturing!" Got home that night, got on the computer, ran a search and, "Holy cow, the old guy was right!" I thanked him the next day and he said, "No need to thank me, just help someone else." So, that's what I try to do.

I am looking forward to following this build and watching things flourish! BTW - I was in Atlanta last May and June for work. Wish I would have looked you guys up!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, tape can certainly lead to cracked fittings. I just find it easier so still use it but a bit of care is required to not overtighten. BTW many of the ABS bulkheads have slightly looser threads than most standard PVC fittings. Requires more tape/paste than normal. I’ve moved to solvent glued slip bulkheads.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, and also hello from Auburn. I have heard about y'all from multiple people, but just haven't had the opportunity to look into your club! I hope the recent storms did not blow y'all away either. I have a current build going, and maybe I can pick up on some of your carpenter skills!
Howdy neighbor! I’m outside Mobile..... oh, and...

ROLLLLLL TIDE ROLL!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy neighbor! I’m outside Mobile..... oh, and...

ROLLLLLL TIDE ROLL!

Did someone say Mobile? (Yeah, I know it's pronounced "mobeel" but still...)

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother lives in Mobile, home of the original Mardi Gras!

Since plumbing is the topic, what's the best way to remove old plumbing? Such as removing old silicon work, PVC glue, etc. Also do y'all feel like hard plumbing is better than soft?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother lives in Mobile, home of the original Mardi Gras!

Since plumbing is the topic, what's the best way to remove old plumbing? Such as removing old silicon work, PVC glue, etc. Also do y'all feel like hard plumbing is better than soft?

@K-Philly - I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "old silicon work" or "PVC glue". Can you please give a couple examples?
As for hard vs. flex plumbing it really depends on the specific application. So that's a tough one to answer too. Not trying to be difficult but simply looking for more info so as to answer your questions correctly.

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@K-Philly - I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "old silicon work" or "PVC glue". Can you please give a couple examples?
As for hard vs. flex plumbing it really depends on the specific application. So that's a tough one to answer too. Not trying to be difficult but simply looking for more info so as to answer your questions correctly.

Ah, no it’s quite alright. I understand, but I have used some silicon on like an old check valve. It was an external application, and I honestly feel like a good ole razor blade may work.

PVC glue is on the inside of the pipes. It’s how you pipe the stuff together. I was wondering if there was a way to undo this other than by just cutting the pipes out.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, no it’s quite alright. I understand, but I have used some silicon on like an old check valve. It was an external application, and I honestly feel like a good ole razor blade may work.

PVC glue is on the inside of the pipes. It’s how you pipe the stuff together. I was wondering if there was a way to undo this other than by just cutting the pipes out.

Thanks for the explanation!

The coming answers are probably NOT what you want to hear but in your best interest.

A razor will probably do the job but I would buy a new check valve.

It's never a good idea to try to reuse slip fittings or pipe that have previously been cemented. Cut out whatever needs to be worked on/fixed and buy new pipe/fittings.

As an aside; I never use any Oatey products when cementing PVC. I only use Weld-On. It's a little more expensive but provides a better chemical bond.

And as another aside; if you're not already aware of it and ever looking for custom PVC parts or the like the website below can be a great resource.

https://flexpvc.com

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The coming answers are probably NOT what you want to hear but in your best interest.

It's never a good idea to try to reuse slip fittings or pipe that have previously been cemented. Cut out whatever needs to be worked on/fixed and buy new pipe/fittings.

As an aside; I never use any Oatey products when cementing PVC. I only use Weld-On. It's a little more expensive but provides a better chemical bond.

And as another aside; if you're not already aware of it and ever looking for custom PVC parts or the like the website below can be a great resource.

Oatey isn't worth a flip on pressure fittings IMO and experience.

I used Weldon on pressure lines. If I am out, and need to do drains then I will grab oatey because I can get it locally.

If I had my druthers, I would only use Weldon all the time.

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the heads up, now I know better! That site is cheaper than BRS, if I saw correctly.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh my gentle Jesus I wish you hadn't let me see that site. It's a rabbit hole.

LOL!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a few exceptions, I’m using flex PVC for all my drain a return lines. Mostly I bought the EX flow version, though that does not appear to be available anymore/currently. I find flex much easier to get from my basement sump room to the display.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back