OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I wouldn’t focus on the amount. 100 gallons is pretty generous so you can house most any fish (within reason of course). You might want to get more of a variety. Also yellow tang is a very easy tang to take care of. Although with the enormous equipment that has to be used for a 100 gallon be prepared to buy them as sub adults. If you buy a baby blue tang it will easily get sucked into the pump or filter. With tangs, be prepared to not house to many because they will really fill up the tank. For a 100gallon I would say a maximum of 6 tangs. Snails are also important for a big tank, so i would say you should not only get fish but also get nassarius snails (sand sifters). You could get a 6 lined wrasse, and scooter, lawnmower, watchman goby. But if you have a 100gallon, you could get a snowflake eel, they are fun to keep and very cute! Good luck

I ordered a clean up crew package from reef cleaners that has corinth snails, nassarius snails, assorted hermits, a few emerald crabs, and I added some trochus snails as well. Hopefully I have the clean up crew covered. Should be here thursday or friday. Tanks been wet since aug, so plenty of algae growing to feed them.

I run multiple smaller powerheads rather than 1-2 big ones. I feel like this helps me spread the flow out better with less dead spots, it also helps keep smaller fish from getting sucked up by giant flow. I think I'll be ok there, but I'll keep an eye on it.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely cannot keep 6 tangs in a tank that size, I will be starting a reef with pretty much the same dimensions soon and the biggest fish will be my regal angel, other than him the plan is just a few smaller fish, maybe a white tail tang but most tangs are very active swimmers and require at least a 6 foot tank.

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely cannot keep 6 tangs in a tank that size, I will be starting a reef with pretty much the same dimensions soon and the biggest fish will be my regal angel, other than him the plan is just a few smaller fish, maybe a white tail tang but most tangs are very active swimmers and require at least a 6 foot tank.
You are totally codling it. My dad kept a successful 99 gallon tank in my house when I was younger and we had 2 regal blues, 2 yellows and a powder blue. We had them for about 5-6 years. They were healthy and happy

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never said anything about putting 6 tangs in the tank.

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids call my purple tang Dorrie. They don't even seem to know the difference. I was ammazed. My purple is great. Hardy active, good looking fish fought with my yellow tang for about a week but since then they have been fine. I have the exact same aize tank as you. I actualy down sized a little from a 120g cube bc the cube was too hard to clean. I love this tank. I dont have to go swimming to get things off the bottom. My two favorite fish is my purple tang and flame hawkfish. Thr hawkfish is so unique.

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to stock a 100g mixed reef. 48x24x20. I want fish #1 to be utilitarian and #2 to add color and movement to the tank. I am a little unsure how many fish I can house, so I'm going to list my wishlist in order of importance to me. I am looking for suggestions of good or bad choices as well as any you may think I would find useful. I based my tang selections off of a chart I found discussing tank dimensions/volume recommendations. With the exception of the blue hippo tang, which I know I will likely need to rehome in a few years, but my daughter really wants one and understands we cant keep it forever also. I have reefing buddies who can take it.

Hippo tang
Kole tang
One spot Fox face
Tailspot blenny
Melanarus wrasse
Rainfords goby
Mimic tang
Purple tang
Purple dottyback (wife's only request).
Mandarin goby (I know the tank needs to mature for a long time first. I'm also concerned the wrasse may keep the pod population to small, looking for advice here).

Howdy!
Here's my take on this; At the end of the day, you're going to do what you want to. We all do.
I have a similar size tank to you and I debated on the tang issue as well. I found that a lot of people get real sensitive and compare fish to other animals like dogs. Fish dont feel happiness or sadness. Its also been shown that they do fine in small tanks as long as theyre fed well enough. I have seen blue tangs live in 90 gallon tanks for years and do just fine. Right now, a sailfin, a yellow tang, and a foxface have been living in my tank for years with no issues. They show no aggression towards each other and just follow one another around the tank. They are all doing just fine. I wouldnt get too hung up on all of the naysayers that say it cant be done, and do what you want too. Hopefully that helps.

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go with
Hippo tang
Yellow eye kole tang
Mimic tang
One spot fox face
Tailspot blenny
Rainfords goby
Melanarus wrasse
Black cap basslet

The kole tang and mimic tang should never outgrow the tank. I'll re home the hippo when it gets bigger or I start seeing signs of aggression.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back