10G Nano Reef Tank

cursedcalamari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Well it’s 2021 and a perfect time to reset after a failed tank in 2020. I won’t go into specifics but it was an eye opening and disappointing experience that taught me A LOT.

So after a recent life change I’ve decided to start a new tank project and here’s what I got going:

IMNuvo 10g AIO w/stand
AI prime lighting with bracket
5gal ATO system
AI Nero 3 powerhead (came from old tank, may or may not use it)
10lbs of dry live rock
Black sand (I’m aware of the issues that may come with it and that it is not 100% black)
Filtering will be ChemiPure and floss

As for stocking the tank I am not 100% what to do in terms of coral, I do have a couple zoas in mind.

Livestock: Still figuring that out because I want something unique and I am not opposed to making a species tank. I’m also leaning towards a strictly invert tank.

Everything will get set up this Saturday and I will post pictures then.

Any suggestions or tips are hugely welcome.

Edit: I also have UV sterilizer for the tank along with a media reactor though I’m not sure I’ll need them. They came brand new with the tank.

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, what are you thinking for an invert or species tank? A wartskin angler would be awesome or maybe a mantis shrimp?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I have a wartskin angler and a invert (giant hermit crab) tank so I get it! I'd also lean towards the angler. Heres mine, the king of the algae jungle
20210106_214103.jpg

OP
OP
cursedcalamari

cursedcalamari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking a sally foot crab to get with him. Thoughts?
Also would you mind sharing your feeding schedule for him and what you’re feeding him?

OP
OP
cursedcalamari

cursedcalamari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I have a wartskin angler and a invert (giant hermit crab) tank so I get it! I'd also lean towards the angler. Heres mine, the king of the algae jungle
20210106_214103.jpg
Also would you mind sharing your feeding schedule for him and what you’re feeding him?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry that the crab will get big and attack the angler or that the angler will see movement and snap at the crabobably killing them both).

For feeding I do 2 freshwater ghost shrimp every other day. And the occasional molly. My kids wanted a freshwater glofish tank so I just buy a bunch of shrimp and throw them in there.

I'd like to feed frozen food at some point too but am in no hurry since live is healthier

OP
OP
cursedcalamari

cursedcalamari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry that the crab will get big and attack the angler or that the angler will see movement and snap at the crabobably killing them both).

For feeding I do 2 freshwater ghost shrimp every other day. And the occasional molly. My kids wanted a freshwater glofish tank so I just buy a bunch of shrimp and throw them in there.

I'd like to feed frozen food at some point too but am in no hurry since live is healthier
Gotcha, I wanted to add some kind of CUC but I think if I manage my water changes properly each week and maybe incorporate the media reactor that I got with the tank I may be ok on managing the algae and bioload.

OP
OP
cursedcalamari

cursedcalamari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve decided to go with a black anglerfish for the tank. Pair it with some bright corals and against the black sand and I think it will look pretty nice.

For corals I decided to try out the sub service that WWC has and see how that goes. My first group should be here Tuesday. I also have my torch I’ll be transferring from my other tank.
I’m currently researching live feeding options and I’m starting to think a small ghost shrimp tank wouldn’t be a bad idea.

OP
OP
cursedcalamari

cursedcalamari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after to of research I’ve ordered a bonded pair of Penny Coral Crouchers. They will be here on Friday. Here’s an updated picture of the tank. I added:

Yellow Submarine Zoa
Lemon Tipped Cloves
Lavender Platy
J. Fox Redneck Favia
Hollywood Stunner Chalice

I’m hooking up the ATO today and also the media reactor. I keep getting bubbles shooting from the return pump and slipstream nozzle and not sure why. I checked the line and everything is good and the water level is good as well so I’m stumped at the moment.
image.jpg

OP
OP
cursedcalamari

cursedcalamari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 different cloves on 2 different rocks right now so I’m probably going to put them on one rock. I’m still learning coral placement so if you have suggestions I’m all ears. I’ll update again on Friday when the fish come! I’m hoping to add Frogspawn or a mushroom. I thought about a clam but decided that the clam would be better in the 20g. Next post I will post my test results as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cursedcalamari

cursedcalamari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update with a picture of one of my Coral Crouchers. They’re super cool and very cryptic. They hide very well and sometimes hard to find, even in a 10g tank. I have a bonded pair and here is one of them in their hiding spot.

Attachments

• C919A7D6-DB0F-401C-989A-5D176EE1A05C.jpeg
    C919A7D6-DB0F-401C-989A-5D176EE1A05C.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
cursedcalamari

cursedcalamari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help, what the heck is this in the pic? Is it algae or something else? It’s covering sand and rock. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

75E1358A-E2F1-45E3-81AA-4F9F2352415C.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back