110 gallon tall stock

oversd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys new to the forum and new to reefing. I am starting a 110 gallon tall tank with live sand rock and coral. My cousin is going to help me with a full sump 40 gallon.

My question is how many fish can I get? What fish are good together? I want bright colors (you know the typical reef tank). What are some of the brightest ones you guys suggest? Just trying to look for some help.

We can always make this page into a stocking page with people posting their size of tank with stock. To help everyone

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish you get will depend on what species you get and how much space they have, if you pack your tank full of rock it will limit what you can keep. I would find fish that you like in the store and then research their requirements. You can also look at other R2R members' tank builds that are a similar size to your tank and see what they have to get an idea.

You also need to figure out if you want a reef aquarium, fish only with live rock, or a predator tank.

With a 110T you're going to want to stay away from certain tangs, angelfish, wrasses, parrot fish, puffers, triggers, hogfish, and many other fish that are what I like to call "small and cute at the fish store but turn into big'uns later on" fish.

You can also always ask about a particular fish and what tankmates it may or may not get along with in a separate thread if you're not sure. Fish keeping isn't an exact science so there's a lot of opinions floating around on the internet about the appropriate size tank needed for certain fish but getting firsthand experience from other hobbyists can be very helpful :)

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two favorite fish for a reef are:
lg-26145-green-mandarin.jpg
and the
lg68052CopperbandButterfly.jpg
. Problem is they both love pods, but today the have trained them to eat other foods besides pods. Both need a tank that is established minimum 1 year, if what to be successful. Good luck

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of options for that tank, but ultimately there are many factors that go into determining how many fish you can stock in that size tank.

Find a few options that you are really drawn to and we can help with compatibility.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want bright colors (you know the typical reef tank). What are some of the brightest ones you guys suggest?

Three bright, hardy, relatively peaceful, reef-safe fish that I would suggest:

orchid dottyback
yellow wrasse (H. chrysus)
yellow tail or sapphire damsel

The veteran R2R folks are probably sick of me talking about these three....

Mandarin is a good suggestion too, once the tank and sump (w/ fuge, hopefully) has been running about a year.

OP
OP
oversd

oversd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three bright, hardy, relatively peaceful, reef-safe fish that I would suggest:

orchid dottyback
yellow wrasse (H. chrysus)
yellow tail or sapphire damsel

The veteran R2R folks are probably sick of me talking about these three....

Mandarin is a good suggestion too, once the tank and sump (w/ fuge, hopefully) has been running about a year.

Thank you I’ll have to look in to those

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both, the CBB and Mandarin. The mandarin is about 9 months old in my tank. I got him way too early and because of that, have spent way too much money on pods to keep him alive. That said, he is finally starting to eat frozen mysis and even pellets.
As for my CBB, I also bought him too early and he died within a month . I’m going to get another one but I’m going to make sure it eats prepared food before he leaves the quarantine tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 100 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back