12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great I love it!
Thank you! I really dig your rock work. That is going to be a great build. I was going for something more like yours turned out, but could never duplicate it twice. Then when I could duplicate it I went to put rocks in tank and the opening in the euro braced top was too small. Lol. I am considering a slightly bigger glass cube, but then I have to start over and that seems rediculous after 2 months.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
I like your rock work as well.

47467838_197702541184257_2507990041895410590_n.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I really dig your rock work. That is going to be a great build. I was going for something more like yours turned out, but could never duplicate it twice. Then when I could duplicate it I went to put rocks in tank and the opening in the euro braced top was too small. Lol. I am considering a slightly bigger glass cube, but then I have to start over and that seems rediculous after 2 months.
Do both! Lol

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do both! Lol
I will actually have enough equipment to do another one. Just dont have the room now. Got a baby on the way and a ton of baby stuff everywhere. We are hoping to buy a bigger house in the next 3 years, and one of my must haves is room for a bigger tank. Maybe 90 gal.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly update:
Parameters are holding steady. I am happy with the Purigen as it is keeping Nitrates just under 5ppm. Still researching a good low reading Phosphate test kit. I never get any color on my Salifert kit.

I added 2 small zoas/palys to my zoa corner. Added another acan lord and a small 'grape ape'? Favia to my acan corner on the other side.

I am not sure about my placement of the Duncans. They get hammered after feedings when I kick the 2 Jeboas up to 40 percent after feedings. I am thinking about swapping them with the GSP rock, but will have to keep a close eye on the GSP so it doesnt spread like a weed.

I am super happy with splatter hammer. The LFS had it under MH for a bit and it bleached out a little. 3 weeks in my tank and the green and purple color has come back already.
15516476620012797285028005465202.jpg
20190303_125941.jpg
20190303_125929.jpg

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Good idea watch that GSP.
Acan Lord + Roseville = You in MN??
Are you going to the TCMAS frag swap? April 27th
Are you member of TCMAS? You don't need to be a member.
Anyways come check out the locals. https://www.tcmas.org/forums/
Also great speaker event coming up in May at Augsburg College.
Frag Swap & Speaker Event are free to attend and open to the public.
I was the noob at the spring frag swap last year, it was great to meet everyone.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Good idea watch that GSP.
Acan Lord + Roseville = You in MN??
Are you going to the TCMAS frag swap? April 27th
Are you member of TCMAS? You don't need to be a member.
Anyways come check out the locals. https://www.tcmas.org/forums/
Also great speaker event coming up in May at Augsburg College.
Frag Swap & Speaker Event are free to attend and open to the public.
I was the noob at the spring frag swap last year, it was great to meet everyone.
I am in Roseville California. Unfortunately the only frag swaps I know of are at least 3 hours away. Have not seen any Sacramento area swaps

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. I just checked and there is one nearby in Cupertino in September. Got my online ticket early. Probably wouldn't have searched it if you hadn't mentioned it.
Yay you should stop by my place. I’ll give you some frags. I’m right on the edge of Cupertino. You missed the frag swap last month ! It was epic

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Purigen as a Nitrate control experiment didn't go so well. My Nitrates were doing well for a couple of weeks and then started slowly climbing until they exploded to about 35ppm. I have 2 bags of Purigen so I could have a fresh one every week. I did a 5 gal water change and called up my protien skimmer back to the big league. Within 10 minutes it was skimming like a champ. I am limited to one filter option on this tank. I recently picked up a 30 long by 13 deep by 17 tall glass tank for almost nothing, so I think I am going to move everything over. I will be taking some Paternity leave (thanks California!) So it may be done in the next month.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay you should stop by my place. I’ll give you some frags. I’m right on the edge of Cupertino. You missed the frag swap last month ! It was epic
I just noticed I didnt hit the reply button when I replied to you.

That would be awesome, man. I am down to come check out your set up. I see you are in Mountain View. I know exactly where that is. I used to run a crew that built and installed custom doors for 3 of the big home construction companies out there.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed I didnt hit the reply button when I replied to you.

That would be awesome, man. I am down to come check out your set up. I see you are in Mountain View. I know exactly where that is. I used to run a crew that built and installed custom doors for 3 of the big home construction companies out there.
Oh sweet! Yea man for sure! Come by anytime! I’m on like the Mountain View Sunnyvale border.

OP
OP
12gallonsofhex

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went a little overkill tonight. Cut a hole in the top of the hex (against Tru-vu's recommendation) and added the Tidal 35. I wanted the filter pad and carbon, but the skimmer is a much better Nitrate extractor. Using the vacuum while drilling and cutting worked awesome.

In other news, I got my 20 long on sale at Petco and am planning out that build and livestock transfer. Going to take my time on that one, make sure I will be happy with it instead of making big changes after 2 months like I did with my current tank. Also going to use a larger substrate so my sand doesnt shift like the Arabian desert.
20190325_181709.jpg
20190325_193349.jpg
20190324_143030.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back