12 Gallon NC & Wrasses

Mariellas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small piece of the ocean, 12 gal JBJ nanocube, has been running since June. We have soft and LPS corals, crabs, and amphipods- oh my.
Everything was going well until the Zoas snapped closed and lo and behold- the dreaded Zoa Spiders. Sucked one out and dipped in iodine immediately, but I am worried about the long eradication process.

Well, I love Zoas, and I know I want to get more. I initially wanted this to be a Coral-Only tank, but pests are a dime a dozen. So now I am considering getting a small wrasse to help with any pest issues- the spiders now and any future ones.

But my question- will a six line wrasse be okay in my 12gal tank as the ONLY fish?

Any help or other suggestions to keep creepy crawlies at bay are very welcome!

PXL_20211216_174120893.jpg PXL_20211216_173218693.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO way too small.

OP
OP
M

Mariellas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are set on a wrasse. Maybe a pink streak or possum wrasse, but even those I dont know if they are too big for a 12g
I guess I'm not necessarily set on a wrasse. Any type of fish/invert that will pick bugs off my corals will be welcome with open arms and lots of love, lol.

But, my husband is now excited about the possibility of getting a fish in the reef. Should've kept my mouth shut!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm not necessarily set on a wrasse. Any type of fish/invert that will pick bugs off my corals will be welcome with open arms and lots of love, lol.

But, my husband is now excited about the possibility of getting a fish in the reef. Should've kept my mouth shut!
You could try a blenny. My tailspot blenny was constantly picking stuff from the rocks, although I dont know how much of an impact he made.

Miatafan98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a 6 line as the only fish in my 14g nuvo since it was started a year ago with no issues, i have a ton of rock in my tank so water volume is likely similar

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a blenny. My tailspot blenny was constantly picking stuff from the rocks, although I dont know how much of an impact he made.
I think blennies go after films and copepods more than big stuff. I’ve never seen spiders personally, if they move around a bunch and wiggle then yeah I think the blenny would go for it.

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try something like a Longnose hawk fish. They specifically go after small invertebrates like spiders. They’ll eat small shrimp but should only pester crabs. Cute little guys too.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
your best bet are invertebrates. depending what type of "pests" you'd like to have a defense for, your options will be limited.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back