D68C5DEC-BA0D-4064-A650-FA118AF17DFC.png
8EAC10E5-3982-407C-BAB0-8EA1B6B921CE.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon if I’m not mistaken, is that a darn perfect reading, in line with the best hands off mode tanks we see posted on here

wow / chemical tests are looking sharp if I’m not wrong

the tie-in for me is the filtration base supports the gross action that resets water params to nearly ideal

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking the Fe and some others are from my macros not looking really good and I added more Chaeto grow than recommend on the bottle. Of course the phosphate from Dino battle.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon if I’m not mistaken, is that a darn perfect reading, in line with the best hands off mode tanks we see posted on here

the tie-in for me is the filtration base supports the gross action that resets water params to nearly ideal
I’m still waiting for the results from the before bacteria test. When do you want me to send in the after bacteria test? It’s been two weeks now since the last rip clean.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whichever time you think is ok, even two weeks after such a storm event is a fine test rebound time, they have lots of pre-rip clean data to source some patterns from I think it will measure in some ways different from heavy organic-laden pre rip clean systems, which is every measure they're taking so far.

I sure have been linking your thread a bunch to rip cleans large and small, plenty are sticking! we're getting lots of work. when their rocks are covered in algae, we're having them scrub + peroxide during disassembly and only reassemble compliant live rocks driven back to clear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whichever time you think is ok, even two weeks after such a storm event is a fine test rebound time, they have lots of pre-rip clean data to source some patterns from I think it will measure in some ways different from heavy organic-laden pre rip clean systems, which is every measure they're taking so far.

I sure have been linking your thread a bunch to rip cleans large and small, plenty are sticking! we're getting lots of work. when their rocks are covered in algae, we're having them scrub + peroxide during disassembly and only reassemble compliant live rocks driven back to clear.
Great I’ll send in the test now. Scrubbing the rocks and using peroxide definitely helps with GHA. I used to do that monthly at year two and three but never did all new water. Do people ever blast the rocks with the garden hose? How much cleaning is too much at one time? My next rip clean I’ll probably scrub the rocks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that will be new ground, any freshwater on rocks. I personally wouldnt do it for stress to the small pods and worms

but you could take up a pressurized buzz lightyear water gun and salt spray rocks! creativity wins heh I know someone that already did that, to be like a Waterpik device and dislodge detritus. its good in that way.

If i had to bet in a reef court of law, I would bet a harsh hose blasting would not kill the bacteria for filtration, they're simply too numerous and housed in biofilms that prevent instant salinity killing etc. all the stuff online stated about nitrifiers comes from those on a slide or in a bottle; tankbound ones are darn near unbeatable we show. but the myriad worms and pods might not like it, so I wouldnt freshwater rinse rock though I think it could tolerate it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m going to send in another ICP test but I’m wondering if the DOC test is necessary or worth doing now?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so, because I can’t fathom anything that could drive down dissolved organics or their precursors better than a dual sustained to the bone rip cleaning.

If you tested it and DOC was low that’s already expected. If you found it high, a wormhole will open / bad
We want to cyclically drive it back up to mid/hi via feeding, associated protein waste and excess fills in the spaces youve blasted out. Preserving the pure clean condition might not feed large corals well, but using this stormed-out real estate as the catch mitt for renewed target feeing is literal bodybuilding exercise but for reef tanks. Tearing down, building up. High protein in, not minor protein in

You’ll be caked in disease free corals. this mimics the action of the frothing sloshing fringing reef every time it’s ran.

if you ever do another rip in the future, feed your system heavily each morning a couple days before. i have been doing this over ten years straight in my reef, can’t count how many rip cleans it’s had. The corals are literally packed in feed as they hang in the air lol I’m surprised it doesn’t tear the polyps off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test two weeks after second rip clean. I’m probably going to keep this water for awhile is there anything that I should adjust or be concerned about?
E86AC969-B9AD-4C22-9590-74F7BE398CA8.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious what the forum thinks about it, I haven’t compared many icp readings to successful tanks. such great data
bump for icp familiar aquarists

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but what was the reasoning behind adding the sand back to the system. You worked very hard to get it out and saw how murky it gets, why not leave it out totally?..Just asking because I am on the fence with removing my sand bed with something similar to this..just curious..learning

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect

it indeed could be left out easily when reassembled, this method above is what is used to disassemble reefs so we can move them, upgrade insides into another reef tank, or wipe out invaders, or go instantly bare bottom agreed

the sand is kept for people that dont mind doing this work so they can keep wrasses or just like the looks of sand

after a big deep clean, many with sand begin weekly deep stick stirring to eject new waste and stave off having to do tank surgery again

this thread shows the bacteria in sand aren’t critical to the system as the hobby once thought; only rock bacteria is critical so rocks are always handled in saltwater. Tap rinsing a sandbed or removing it altogether, same, you could do that if you have typical live rock included

i use a six inch deep sandbed because it holds my rock stack up tall and balances out the visual zones better, it’s just deep cleaned occasionally to reduce pumping out nitrate from waste

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but what was the reasoning behind adding the sand back to the system. You worked very hard to get it out and saw how murky it gets, why not leave it out totally?..Just asking because I am on the fence with removing my sand bed with something similar to this..just curious..learning
I have four wrasses that need sand. I did remove all the sand and went two years without sand. I spent more time keeping the bare bottom clean than I do now with sand.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect

it indeed could be left out easily when reassembled, this method above is what is used to disassemble reefs so we can move them, upgrade insides into another reef tank, or wipe out invaders, or go instantly bare bottom agreed

the sand is kept for people that dont mind doing this work so they can keep wrasses or just like the looks of sand

after a big deep clean, many with sand begin weekly deep stick stirring to eject new waste and stave off having to do tank surgery again

this thread shows the bacteria in sand aren’t critical to the system as the hobby once thought; only rock bacteria is critical so rocks are always handled in saltwater. Tap rinsing a sandbed or removing it altogether, same, you could do that if you have typical live rock included

i use a six inch deep sandbed because it holds my rock stack up tall and balances out the visual zones better, it’s just deep cleaned occasionally to reduce pumping out nitrate from waste
I’m unpacking a order of Garf Grunge and I’m smelling the same death as when I let my sand sit for a few days during the first rip clean. They shipped Monday along with a bag of bugs different boxes. The bugs got here yesterday and were alive the sand just got here now, last night it did get cold here and I’m not sure if I should rinse the sand before I add to the DT?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back