120 Peninsula build flow question

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already ordered a 120 Gallon 48X24X24 peninsula SC Aquarium. I think I've got most of my build plan already intact.
My question is would 2 6105 Tunzes on overflow side be enough?
I am thinking maybe some SPS close to overflow side where flow is strongest, and then toward open end of tank maybe LPS or Softies. I am also thinking, I could add a gyre to the open end of the tank if it would be that much better. Could I conceal it somewhat in upper part of the tank. I think the gyre would help with pushing detritis etc toward overflow, but I don't know how a gyre would look on open end of tank. What do you all think?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me with this decision.
P.S.
(I will be doing a build thread when I get started.)

OP
OP
shakey

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I was planning on have one on each side of overflow box. I think approximately a third of the way up in aquarium to start with. I will then adjust as i feel needed to get desired flow.

Upvote 0

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the tunze, but I ran my WAV on each side the the overflow wall of my RSR500P (4x2x2), placed 1/3 from the water line. I can only have it up to 40% max on WAV, without kicking up a sand storm. Even with that I have to mount the WAV horizontally, so none of the flow is aiming at the sand directly. Also I’m against mounting any power head on the 3 viewing panes. Flow is plentiful, according to APEX Fusion, I’m getting 40-50x turnover from the WAV. I’m only 6 months in, so only Fishes with LPS on the lower 1/3. The upper 2/3 is strictly for the SPS, that’s where the WAV are targeted. Hope it helps. Happy reefing!

1BCE160C-AA3A-436A-BE5F-D21A3F6B8C8A.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
shakey

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is cycling in the garage. Waiting on the floors to be done after my previous tank cracked...
Cracked , Wow that’s aweful!
Not sure on the tunze, but I ran my WAV on each side the the overflow wall of my RSR500P (4x2x2), placed 1/3 from the water line. I can only have it up to 40% max on WAV, without kicking up a sand storm. Even with that I have to mount the WAV horizontally, so none of the flow is aiming at the sand directly. Also I’m against mounting any power head on the 3 viewing panes. Flow is plentiful, according to APEX Fusion, I’m getting 40-50x turnover from the WAV. I’m only 6 months in, so only Fishes with LPS on the lower 1/3. The upper 2/3 is strictly for the SPS, that’s where the WAV are targeted. Hope it helps. Happy reefing!

1BCE160C-AA3A-436A-BE5F-D21A3F6B8C8A.jpeg
that helps a lot. If you are only running 40% I should be good with my setup. I love the DC products. When I was in to it years ago we didn’t have them. Nice to set the flow exactly the way you want it.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back