120 Starphire In Wall tank.......

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! You don't get to see detailed pics of in wall tanks too often so I thought I'd post these up. This is a tank we're finishing up in an office building downtown.

Its a 120: 5ftx18"x24"
Lights: 2: 175w 14k Single-ended MH Iwasaki with Mini Lumenarc reflectors
With an Arctica chiller and Euroreef skimmer.

We will be installing 3 water storage containers within the cabinet to mix saltwater for water changes on site as this tank is on the 19th floor.
Maybe my hubby will add more tech details later. ;]

I finished 75% of the rockwork today and added some corals. I'll post some pics once it clears up.

PB270001.jpg

PB270004.jpg

PB270006.jpg

PB270007.jpg

PB270008.jpg

PB270009.jpg

PB270011.jpg

PB270013.jpg

PB270015.jpg

PB270019.jpg

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool looking - hope you'll post more pics as the water clears up so we can see your rockwork! I can't tell - where are the overflows? On the ends?? Whatcha gonna stock it with????

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one overflow on the left side (first pics) by the powerhead. I know you can't see it lol, but thats where it is.

Its for a customer so I'm planning to stock it with some nice lps, mushrooms, zoos, favia, etc. Probably no sps, maybe a few montis if the lights are up to it. I want to go with a more contemporary look with this tank. Sparse live rock, several large specimen corals, and some brightly colored fish. I think starphire tanks really lend themselves to the contemporary look because the glass is so clear that the contents look almost unreal, like you can just reach out and touch them. ;]

So far I get to choose what goes in it, so I was thinking to have 4-5 red fire fish. I think they would look really cool and probably get a lot of attention in an office setting.
I think I'll get a mimic tank of some sort because they grow slow and stay pretty small. I like the half black and eibli but they're harder to find. I don't like to get fish that will outgrow their tank in a short time. Like I hate to see huge Naso tangs, etc in a 6ft tank.
I'd like to put a couple fairy wrasses in if possible. It will be a weekly maintainence, so I should be able to get a away with a few fancier fish. ;]

I should have the new pics tomorrow or so.

Last edited:

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG!!! That almost gave me an.... I'll let you figure out the rest. Beautiful setup!! I really like your woodwork.

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe My husband designed the cabinet and then this great carpenter did all the wood work.

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I've been busy running around getting crazy ricordia for you guys and stocking my other customer's 675 tank. Give a girl a chance to catch her breath. LOL

We're actually going tomorrow to finish up the rockwork and add some more corals. Hopefully I can get new pics if I don't stir up the sand too much. ;]

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ha!

I forgot I took these the other day. The rock work is half way done.

PC010052.jpg

PC010054.jpg

PC010055.jpg

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice rockwork!! I'd like that behind my desk for sure. What is the greyish line/tube next to the black return in the middle? Is it just glare? Nice set up for sure!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look awesome! I love that tank!

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pics

Here's some new pics. Over the last few days I added the rest of the live rock and some corals.

I'm really happy with the way the rockwork came out, it took me awhile to get it in the way I wanted it, but it finally came together in the end. It was definately a challenge moving these big rocks around and not hitting the glass (tank is only 18" wide) and not hitting the pipe in the center as well. There was a moment when I considered throwing the rock out the window. lol

The white pipe in the center was a tall return but we decided it was an eyesore and unnessary, so we cut it down and capped it off. It would have been nice to remove it entirely but that would have entailed draining the whole tank, etc.

Last night I put more corals and added a half black mimic tang. I was really happy to be able to find this tang because I think they are very pretty and they are a spunky little fish. I have one in my personal tank and pound for pound they are one of the scrappiest tangs. lol

I have 6 red fire fish in my own tank that I will probably add next week sometime. They are eating and look great so I'm sure they're going to be awesome in this tank.
I spoke with my supplier and am trying to get some fairy wrasses in. Anyone else have some good, small fish suggestions? I'll make this an interactive tank setup. ;]

PC060006.jpg

PC060007.jpg

PC060008.jpg

PC060009.jpg

PC060011.jpg

PC060012.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm a big believer in the less is more philosophy. I've even been thinking about doing a "How to aquascape with less" thread lately. I've seen a lot of nice tanks on different forums, but I've also seen a lot of tanks where people just pile the rock in with no real purpose/design. lol
I try to make each tank look like a natural reef. Most of the live rock is haitian lettuce rock. Its not as popular with most people, but I think its great. Its very light, cheap, and really has a more natural look than other boulderish rock I see.
Like in the mad science project thread I have, my customer bought 800lbs of kaelini. I really don't like it as it is super heavy, dense, and doesn't have very good shape.

Once I have enough time I'll put an aquascape thread together. ;]

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I like for the fish to have lots of room to swim and open areas. My tank is small but in the futer larger tank I'm goin to go with the column look. I hope to be able to do a 3 side view tank next. I like looking down the long way. Gives it killer depth!!! Great job!

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pics........

Here's some new pics for you guys. This tank is pretty much fully stocked now, I'm debating whether to add a few more fish....

Fish:

4 red fire fish
Half black mimic tang
Yellow back wrasse
Speckled hawk fish
Bicolor blenny (still hiding)
Black/white sebae/saddleback clown

I've really enjoyed setting up this tank as I've been left to myself in choosing what goes in it regarding corals/fish. I wish more of my customers would trust my judgement. lol

The tank still has a little bit of diatom algae that it is working through, but thats going away. I was happy to see a bunch of tiny isopods munching on the algae before I cleaned the glass tonight. The ceriths and queen conchs have done a great job on the sand since I came last week. All the corals seem to be doing great and the coralline algae is starting to cover stuff.

My husband installed an automatic feeder last week and all the fish are looking great. I'm very pleased with the red fire fish as this is my first time keeping them in a setup. I went through several in order to get these four (sigh, difficult to acclimate I guess + a serial killer japanese wrasse didn't help) but my current group seems to be doing well. #4 is a little shy but thats probably because the lights were already off when I arrived. Its too bad purple fire fish don't school.

The yellow back wrasse is also really nice and not shy at all. I have some beautiful solarensis wrasses in my personal tank right now that I should get a shot of. If I do add any other fish, I was thinking of a small royal gramma and some rainford's gobies.

Well enjoy! I know I did. ;]

PC200002.jpg

PC200003.jpg

PC200004.jpg

PC200005.jpg

PC200006.jpg

PC200008.jpg

PC200010.jpg

PC200012.jpg

PC200013.jpg

PC200014.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back