120g refurb

TiggrReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am refurbishing a 15 y.o. 120g reef ready tank; out of use for last 10 years (but kept water in tank & sump)
Replacing sand base; when I removed the sand I discovered some yellow discoloration of the silicone in a small 3” section
The tank is now completely empty.
Should I cut out this section and apply some marine grade silicone?
Does that this indicate that it is failing? The rest appears to be in good shape but for a 2”
E578F118-94F2-482F-9A2F-5EC9E55E764D.jpeg
section across tank (not as bad)
Thanks 86A2816A-8669-4000-81AD-A50433940E8A.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite sloppy on both sides. Looks like a repair in both corners. Maybe it was leaking at some point. The silicone on my 27 year old 120 is perfectly clear. I would reseal.

OP
OP
TiggrReefer

TiggrReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was purchased new from mfgr; 15 y.o.; never leaked

I was thinking "re-seal" Both sections were beneath 2-3" of sand.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resealing the areas you're talking about doesn't do anything. The panels will have to be completely separated, cleaned of any silicone at all, and then realigned and resealed.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resealing the areas you're talking about doesn't do anything. The panels will have to be completely separated, cleaned of any silicone at all, and then realigned and resealed.
If there was a leak point but he’s just worried about the discoloration.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was a leak point but he’s just worried about the discoloration.
Once you start scraping off the original silicone you're messing with integrity. You can't apply silicone on top of silicone, might as well cover with newspaper and duct tape.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you start scraping off the original silicone you're messing with integrity. You can't apply silicone on top of silicone, might as well cover with newspaper and duct tape.
I don’t know why everyone says you can’t overlap silicone. It sticks just fine to itself.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why everyone says you can’t overlap silicone. It sticks just fine to itself.
Because it doesn't bond correctly. Ask anyone who tried to be lazy when redoing a bathroom.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as you scrape the caulking off without digging into the glue that’s between glass, integrity loss can be regained without removing panels.
Because it doesn't bond correctly. Ask anyone who tried to be lazy when redoing a bathroom.
Glueing windows from the rain, snow and wind was my life. But I’m just some random internet guy so I brought pictures hah. Here’s an all in one I built from recycled baffles.
D810C714-6098-4859-83A2-2E0B3AE64AB1.jpeg
I left the old Silicone on the edges (from when they were glued to a sump), glued right over it and tooled the seams to the glass. I left the old glue on to show someone, you can still lay another bead on top of old cone to form a working seal.
image.jpg
3 months in

Last edited:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm man enough to admit I could be wrong. Usually the run off the the edges where the panels meet has nothing to do with structural stability. @Joe Glass Cages how would you recommend proceeding here?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as you scrape the caulking off without digging into the glue that’s between glass, integrity loss can be regained without removing panels.

Glueing windows from the rain, snow and wind was my life. But I’m just some random internet guy so I brought pictures hah. Here’s an all in one I built from recycled baffles.
D810C714-6098-4859-83A2-2E0B3AE64AB1.jpeg
I left the old Silicone on the edges (from when they were glued to a sump), glued right over it and tooled the seams to the glass. I left the old glue on to show someone, you can still lay another bead on top of old cone to form a working seal.
image.jpg
3 months in
Do you have to degrease the surface with Dawn soap or just wipe it down?

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm man enough to admit I could be wrong. Usually the run off the the edges where the panels meet has nothing to do with structural stability. @Joe Glass Cages how would you recommend proceeding here?
Thanks @Jekyl this is interesting for sure.

@TiggrReefer

hmmmmm....

This is a new one. I zoomed in on the pictures and looks like there was some silicone or something put over the initial silicone. Do you know if this happened?

I am not aware of marine grade silicone doing this.

I am really just guessing right now. Id probably reseal or replace.

give me a all if you wanna talk though what is going on there.

OP
OP
TiggrReefer

TiggrReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jekyl this is interesting for sure.

@TiggrReefer

hmmmmm....

This is a new one. I zoomed in on the pictures and looks like there was some silicone or something put over the initial silicone. Do you know if this happened?

I am not aware of marine grade silicone doing this.

I am really just guessing right now. Id probably reseal or replace.

give me a all if you wanna talk though what is going on there.
I purchased the tank new about 15 years ago. This is the first time it has been empty since. It looks to me like some of the silicone is pulling away from the glass but not near the seam where the surfaces meet.
I bought some marine grade silicone for aquariums; I think I am going to surgically remove some of the silicone where it is pulling away and add more in the affected areas.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the tank new about 15 years ago. This is the first time it has been empty since. It looks to me like some of the silicone is pulling away from the glass but not near the seam where the surfaces meet.
I bought some marine grade silicone for aquariums; I think I am going to surgically remove some of the silicone where it is pulling away and add more in the affected areas.
Sounds like fun. Keep that Dino alive!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back