120G - Two corner overflows - Herbie?

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys:

Trying to figure out the best way to plumb my new to me aquarium.

Details:

120G with two corner overflows
each over-flow has a 3/4" and a 1" hole
The return has its own holes drilled along to top of the tank

What I'm thinking is using a Herbie method overflow system. The 3/4" on each side would be the main siphon, with a gate valve on each. Then the 1" would be the emergency overflow.

Also, the sump will be one story down in the basement, so the gate valves would be easiest placed near the tank to make adjusting easier, but is that going to work ok?

Thanks in advance!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like you have 4 holes - two on each side. You could use the 3/4" holes as returns with the 1" holes as drains (herbie style) or you could use 3 or 4 of the holes as drains (Bean Animal Style). It doesn't matter what side of the tank the holes are on for a Herbie or Bean Animal approach to work - the holes don't have to be right next to each other.

#reefsquad

OP
OP
F

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh interesting! I didn't know that it could be spread across overflows like that.

I think i'd like to keep it a bit simpler and go with the separate herbies! Thank you all for the advice.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot run a functional bean from two, independent weirs. I know, I tried. Unfortunately the dual corner overflows just stink. With my prior ML265, I ended up with dual herbie as the best of a bad situation. In my current tank, I am using an after market ghost-style overflow and it is SO MUCH better. If you are handy, I'd seriously think about tearing out the two corners, patching the holes and grinding for a ghost-style. A bit more work up front, but years of payoffs.

OP
OP
F

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any pros/cons to the position of the gate valve with a basement sump? IE should I have it by the tank or by the sump.

I would think the tank would be easiest for adjustments but wanted to make sure that wouldn't cause issues

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only downside of putting the gate valve near the tank, is that you can get air pockets downstream of the valve due to the large negative pressure there, and it may create some additional noise. In effect it is no longer operating as a true siphon but more like a drain. I have heard of some people having issues with that. You could put valves at each location as a safeguard in case that becomes a problem.

OP
OP
F

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing I am thinking through on this, what if my sump only has 2 drain bulkheads? How should I most safely handle that? T-ing things together would of course work, but I don't want to defeat the purpose of the whole system.

Any ideas?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have 2 choices that would work better than trying to franken these overflows into something they are not meant to do.

1st one is to use both as beananimal, and then add separate returns (either drilled or over the top) See this video on how this is done

2nd option is to remove both overflows, plug the holes and then do proper overflow box and return. This is what I planned on doing and it was quite easy and fast on the 120G tank I had. I never got around to setting this tank up, but I did remove overflows and plugged holes up without any issues. Step by step on how to remove overflows and cover holes can be found here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1934188

OP
OP
F

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting, the returns are already run separately from the overflows. that first option looks great....any concerns?

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could t the emergency line in with the main drains or some people leave there emergency line above the water in the sump away from the socks in order to make noise as a kind of alarm but with tour sump in the basement it’s kind of pointless to do that.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing I am thinking through on this, what if my sump only has 2 drain bulkheads? How should I most safely handle that? T-ing things together would of course work, but I don't want to defeat the purpose of the whole system.

Any ideas?

T-ing will not work and will be dangerous. Find a way to get 4 drains into the sump. They don't have to go into bulk heads,they can just hang. And the emergency/trickle drains don't have to go into the first compartment, since they won't produce bubbles, if that helps.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back