125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Mschmidt use aragonite sand and either mortar of Portland cement. Like was mentioned previously it takes usually between 2 weeks and 90 days to cure for the pH spike portion (some people say vinegar helps) and then you want to saltwater cure it before adding to the tank.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Make sure if you use playground sand for the mold you don't get silica sand - you don't want to add silica to your tank.

Edit: some people use playground sand instead of aragonite sand for the rock itself too, but again make sure it is silica free.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mschmidt use aragonite sand and either mortar of Portland cement. Like was mentioned previously it takes usually between 2 weeks and 90 days to cure for the pH spike portion (some people say vinegar helps) and then you want to saltwater cure it before adding to the tank.
Salt water cure in old tank water, I'm assuming? Looking at be the prices for sand and mortar, it looks close to dry rock. But I get the shapes I want and it's another project. Heaven knows how much I love those!
Make sure if you use playground sand for the mold you don't get silica sand - you don't want to add silica to your tank.

Edit: some people use playground sand instead of aragonite sand for the rock itself too, but again make sure it is silica free.
That would be a rough diatom bloom...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Salt water cure in old tank water, I'm assuming? Looking at be the prices for sand and mortar, it looks close to dry rock. But I get the shapes I want and it's another project. Heaven knows how much I love those!

That would be a rough diatom bloom...
I can get 40 pounds of aragonite sand and 40 pounds of Portland cement for under $40 total. That'd make it about $40 for 60-70 pounds of rock. I can't find dry rock under $2 a pound these days so for me it makes sense.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
save yourself the time and spare yourself the DIY thread unless just for pics. Steve did a great job with the info you need.

* though whether dissolved fast or slow I don't think it matters regarding the salt... unless I'm missing something.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
save yourself the time and spare yourself the DIY thread unless just for pics. Steve did a great job with the info you need.

* though whether dissolved fast or slow I don't think it matters regarding the salt... unless I'm missing something.
For the salt, you just want to mix it in after you make the actual base mix. If you add it right off the bat, the initial heat and mixing will make it dissolve really fast. Then you won’t get all the texture and pores for when it dissolves after it starts to set.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making rock

angus-young-acdc.gif

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Working from home today. It's my new supervisor duty - have to work from home every Thursday.

Too bad I start at 6. My computer is at my fish "room", but my lights don't come on until 10.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"have to" work from home. One a week would be nice, but I like leaving the house most days.
Working from home today. It's my new supervisor duty - have to work from home every Thursday.

Too bad I start at 6. My computer is at my fish "room", but my lights don't come on until 10.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"have to" work from home. One a week would be nice, but I like leaving the house most days.
I work from home all of the time, unless I have to travel to meet a customer or go to the corp office in Boston. I do not actually notice I am at home most of the time. So busy (well, busy with useless calls) that I just work and piddle around on R2R and the day goes by pretty quick. The wife works from home also, so we rarely cross paths due to our "coffee schedules". I also like it, as it saves an hour drive to the office in heavy traffic.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My wife: Can you stop and get something for dinner on your way home, we have nothing in the house.

Me stopping in the garage on the way home since we have nothing in the house:
IMG_20220728_071325084.jpg

IMG_20220728_071310884.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife: Can you stop and get something for dinner on your way home, we have nothing in the house.

Me stopping in the garage on the way home since we have nothing in the house:
IMG_20220728_071325084.jpg

IMG_20220728_071310884.jpg
I see burritos. You have dinner!!!!!!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work from home all of the time, unless I have to travel to meet a customer or go to the corp office in Boston. I do not actually notice I am at home most of the time. So busy (well, busy with useless calls) that I just work and piddle around on R2R and the day goes by pretty quick. The wife works from home also, so we rarely cross paths due to our "coffee schedules". I also like it, as it saves an hour drive to the office in heavy traffic.
My house could be set up for two people working from home. Would need some sound proofing and early COVID taught me it's hard to sell the "chaplain Marshall is here for you" line over the phone.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bro.. what is that in the 75g?(Top left) Goni or Aleviapora? You MUST share a frag of that with me!
That is an Ultra Pink (not sure where they got pink from, but whatever) Alveopora.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back