125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. Then usually it is good to wash, as it removes any crud that can be stirred up and then decay. Not so bad when just sitting there, but when stirred up it can decay and spike nutrients, but the worst part is it can settle on rocks and clog the pores in the rocks.

I did this for a reason.

First, there is more in old sand than dead and decaying matter. All of the micro-organisms that covert that into healthy water are present in that sand. To wash it out removes the "gunk" but also kills or removes that microfauna.

Second, I ran my existing canister filter on the upgraded tank for over a week. This not only cleared out the gunk from the water column, but also kept in the system any and all of the microfauna that I believe kept my 55g system healthy and beautiful.

Did I make a mistake? Time will only tell. Aside from the film algae issue, Which seems to be most prevalent on the glass, after 18 days, I see no other algal blooms.

I guess you could say I am running an experiment as to the value of washing or not washing sand, both new and existing.

As a point of reference, the 55g was started using a 5g bucket of used UNWASHED sand from the guy I bought my 180G tank from.

I am strongly encouraged to believe that there is a considerable degree of quality in reusing old sand than is given credit in the hobby.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Office view.
20220728_110622.jpg

And don't get me started on the "nothing in the house for dinner" comment. Trust me there is nothing because there's nothing she wants. Ask me how I know.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used 3 bags of AragAlive and about 50 pounds of sand that's been in my garage for about 5 years. I rinsed the old sand a little bit but not the AragAlive. The third bag of Arag I added after the tank was running. It caused cloudiness for maybe 3 hours.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Office view.
20220728_110622.jpg

And don't get me started on the "nothing in the house for dinner" comment. Trust me there is nothing because there's nothing she wants. Ask me how I know.
My answer: Sure, I'll run out to the woods and get some meat - oh wait, I already did that. Would you prefer elk, goat, deer, javelina, squirrel, dove, quail, or rattlesnake? No? Well how about a frozen pizza? Chicken? Lasagna?

What should I buy from the store?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this for a reason.

First, there is more in old sand than dead and decaying matter. All of the micro-organisms that covert that into healthy water are present in that sand. To wash it out removes the "gunk" but also kills or removes that microfauna.

Second, I ran my existing canister filter on the upgraded tank for over a week. This not only cleared out the gunk from the water column, but also kept in the system any and all of the microfauna that I believe kept my 55g system healthy and beautiful.

Did I make a mistake? Time will only tell. Aside from the film algae issue, Which seems to be most prevalent on the glass, after 18 days, I see no other algal blooms.

I guess you could say I am running an experiment as to the value of washing or not washing sand, both new and existing.

As a point of reference, the 55g was started using a 5g bucket of used UNWASHED sand from the guy I bought my 180G tank from.

I am strongly encouraged to believe that there is a considerable degree of quality in reusing old sand than is given credit in the hobby.
As long as you had additional filtration to aid in the removal of the gunk, then I would not worry. I have done it both way, as like you mentioned, microfauna. I love to keep diversity in my tanks. For example, my sump in the 180 just had some sand from the old nem lagoon just scooped out and then dumped into it (about 30 lbs) I just ran sock (I normally dont), set the skimmer to a little wetter and let it ride. This was added to a fully mixed reef and 0 issues. When I added the sand to the biocube, I washed it (bacteria stays alive), but due to not able to provide extra filtrtation, figured wash it and be done. I can add a small scoop from the 180 sump or the 180 later to add some micro fauna back in.

Where I see the issue and washing sand be recommended is that most newer folks do not really understand properly caring for a tank. Usually I will recommend them to wash it and then save a small amount that has not been washed to add in. Being as they usually do not test regularly or accurately (this is all learned from experience), it just seems the best option to try and set newer folks up for success and to not have issues.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer: Sure, I'll run out to the woods and get some meat - oh wait, I already did that. Would you prefer elk, goat, deer, javelina, squirrel, dove, quail, or rattlesnake? No? Well how about a frozen pizza? Chicken? Lasagna?

Bagged salad kit.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you had additional filtration to aid in the removal of the gunk, then I would not worry. I have done it both way, as like you mentioned, microfauna. I love to keep diversity in my tanks. For example, my sump in the 180 just had some sand from the old nem lagoon just scooped out and then dumped into it (about 30 lbs) I just ran sock (I normally dont), set the skimmer to a little wetter and let it ride. This was added to a fully mixed reef and 0 issues. When I added the sand to the biocube, I washed it (bacteria stays alive), but due to not able to provide extra filtrtation, figured wash it and be done. I can add a small scoop from the 180 sump or the 180 later to add some micro fauna back in.

Where I see the issue and washing sand be recommended is that most newer folks do not really understand properly caring for a tank. Usually I will recommend them to wash it and then save a small amount that has not been washed to add in. Being as they usually do not test regularly or accurately (this is all learned from experience), it just seems the best option to try and set newer folks up for success and to not have issues.

Check this out my friend..

Here is my tank the day I first added water....

1659021453663.png

This is a 5g bucket of old unwashed sand and 4 bags of new unwashed sand.

Here is the tank after 18 hours with my canister filter running on it.

1659021615342.png

Not only is the water column cleared out considerably, but again, I saved as much of the existing microfauna as I could. Both by using the existing sand as-is, but also by using the canister filter from the old system to clear out the gunk.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Office view.
20220728_110622.jpg

I saw burritos in freezer. Sent message to husband. Bring home burritos for dinner.

When dinner happens... I'm not going to want burritos.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's that you say? "All the gunk just settled back on the bottom!" I say NO! I had at the time 2 very powerful flow makers aimed directly at the sand for the sole purpose of digging holes and preventing settling. I also manually stirred up the sandbed 3 times in that 18 hours.

No my friends, this clear water is a result of a quality canister doing its job.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's that you say? "All the gunk just settled back on the bottom!" I say NO! I had at the time 2 very powerful flow makers aimed directly at the sand for the sole purpose of digging holes and preventing settling. I also manually stirred up the sandbed 3 times in that 18 hours.

No my friends, this clear water is a result of a quality canister doing its job.
And that is exactly what needs to be done when doing it. Sadly, most will not put the effort into it, even when you tell them to lol.

While I did not use a canister filter in my 180 setup, I put filter socks in (i move a ton of water in this setup), turned the skimmer so it ran wetter, and my 2x gyre 4ks moved it all over the place in the sump lol.

Same principle though. Extra filtration, more flow and keeping things stirred up makes a huge difference and makes it possible to do it and have 0 issues.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The default answer is yes dear.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is exactly what needs to be done when doing it. Sadly, most will not put the effort into it, even when you tell them to lol.

While I did not use a canister filter in my 180 setup, I put filter socks in (i move a ton of water in this setup), turned the skimmer so it ran wetter, and my 2x gyre 4ks moved it all over the place in the sump lol.

Same principle though. Extra filtration, more flow and keeping things stirred up makes a huge difference and makes it possible to do it and have 0 issues.
I am finding the flow part to be a huge factor.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you also notice in those pics, the sump is not even online yet?

What is represented in those pictures is solely a result of the canister filter.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back