125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you also notice in those pics, the sump is not even online yet?

What is represented in those pictures is solely a result of the canister filter.
I did. and a canister filter is a good option to do this. I just did not have that option, so added extra filtration in the sump and let it ride.

Many ways to skin a cat.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did. and a canister filter is a good option to do this. I just did not have that option, so added extra filtration in the sump and let it ride.

Many ways to skin a cat.
My cat is offended. She doesn't want to be skinned any way.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many ways to skin a cat.

I will be honest here.. I am actually considering pulling the canister filter back online in this system.

The mechanical filtration from the canister is phenomenal. (as clearly seen in the photos above) Filter socks just can't compete with that. As of now, the sump is the sole filtration system. A single filter sock is the only mechanical filtration on this system. I honestly can't see how that is enough.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will be honest here.. I am actually considering pulling the canister filter back online in this system.

The mechanical filtration from the canister is phenomenal. (as clearly seen in the photos above) Filter socks just can't compete with that. As of now, the sump is the sole filtration system. A single filter sock is the only mechanical filtration on this system. I honestly can't see how that is enough.
I'm wondering if my nitrates problem on the 75 isn't coming from the canister.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if my nitrates problem on the 75 isn't coming from the canister.

Unlikely.

I ran canisters on my 55g since day 1. My nitrates were above what is considered optimal, but if you watch my videos, can you honestly say that my tank was suffering?

Too much emphasis on chasing numbers and not enough evidence on just running a healthy system.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is where it gets tricky. I do not use socks, I let the tank consume most things. By tank I am referring to all of the corals, nems, microfauna, hermits, sponges, snails, etc. etc. that consume most organics that are present in all the stuff that can float around. In my sump, I never vacuum it. The pods and other stuff eat most of it and the mulm that results from detritus sitting there is a home for worms and other critters. Also, most of the detritus that accumulates in a sump is inert and doesn't contribute to nutrients once it has settled and been gone though by the worms and such.

This is the method I use though and it may not work for all. Especially if you want super clear water. While my water is super clear (no tint to it) and the fish do look like they are floating in the air, the stuff being blown around also does.

That is one of the things I love about this hobby though, many many ways to make out little glass boxes thrive. Some run a super clean (as in no particles everywhere) tank and other (like me) let it ride with all the stuff that does float/get blown around.

In short, I just have a lot of things that eat the stuff, so leave it there to be eaten lol.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where it gets tricky. I do not use socks, I let the tank consume most things. By tank I am referring to all of the corals, nems, microfauna, hermits, sponges, snails, etc. etc. that consume most organics that are present in all the stuff that can float around. In my sump, I never vacuum it. The pods and other stuff eat most of it and the mulm that results from detritus sitting there is a home for worms and other critters. Also, most of the detritus that accumulates in a sump is inert and doesn't contribute to nutrients once it has settled and been gone though by the worms and such.

This is the method I use though and it may not work for all. Especially if you want super clear water. While my water is super clear (no tint to it) and the fish do look like they are floating in the air, the stuff being blown around also does.

That is one of the things I love about this hobby though, many many ways to make out little glass boxes thrive. Some run a super clean (as in no particles everywhere) tank and other (like me) let it ride with all the stuff that does float/get blown around.

In short, I just have a lot of things that eat the stuff, so leave it there to be eaten lol.

Ok this is the input I am interested in. I want to just "let it ride".

Amazing how after over 35 years of aquarium keeping, I still want to fix things that will just fix themselves if I let them.

I see this algae on the glass, clean it off and see it suspended in the water column and I just want it OUT!! I keep telling myself "relax its part of the process" and yet I want to add the canister filter back... Ugghhhhh why is it so much easier to advise others than to follow the same dang advice yourself????

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is the input I am interested in. I want to just "let it ride".

Amazing how after over 35 years of aquarium keeping, I still want to fix things that will just fix themselves if I let them.

I see this algae on the glass, clean it off and see it suspended in the water column and I just want it OUT!! I keep telling myself "relax its part of the process" and yet I want to add the canister filter back... Ugghhhhh why is it so much easier to advise others than to follow the same dang advice yourself????
In my tank, the fish follow the scraper lol. It doesnt sit there in the water column for long.

ALso, that algae is one of the best foods for pods. If you have pods and see them on the glass a bit after lights off, they are eating it. Now, throw that into the water column, it settles on the rocks and the pods can munch on it anytime they want.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I like the pancake breakfast sausage things on a stick but never an actual corn dog. And I'm born and bread in the Midwest. I just missed that right of passage at the fair.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank, the fish follow the scraper lol. It doesnt sit there in the water column for long.

ALso, that algae is one of the best foods for pods. If you have pods and see them on the glass a bit after lights off, they are eating it. Now, throw that into the water column, it settles on the rocks and the pods can munch on it anytime they want.

What I have, looks like a fine brown dust when I clean it off. I know it is a normal thing. it will eventually dissipate on its own. I've seen it before.. I just don't like it. It just bugs me that it reattaches to the glass so quickly. Literally within hours.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have, looks like a fine brown dust when I clean it off. I know it is a normal thing. it will eventually dissipate on its own. I've seen it before.. I just don't like it. It just bugs me that it reattaches to the glass so quickly. Literally within hours.
More than likely diatoms or a type of slime algae. You are right about it "will go away eventually" and I get not wanting to see it lol.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back