125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've missed a lot this week on your build.. I am on page 21 I think..... Reading up as we speak....

I am due for an update myself. Not a whole lot to report for my build aside from a continuing battle with algae on the glass and the first round of parameter testing.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a light film of algae when I got home from Missouri. I added 3 margaritas, 2 cerith, 2 nassarius, a stomatella, 2 clowns, and another bag of live sand and all algae disappeared. It's just starting to grow on the rocks but the margaritas are staying ahead of it.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hmmm, pink is probably from saturating photos. Unless they mean the stem...
No clue. I'm not overly worried about the colors or even names. I buy for prettiness.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and that "Power Tower" is awesome!!! I only worry that because it is inside the stand, that moisture may become an issue over time.

The higher priced power strips, designed for aquariums, are likely more resilient to this issue. This cheap unit, likely will fail over time. IDK. For now, it serves its purpose.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and that "Power Tower" is awesome!!! I only worry that because it is inside the stand, that moisture may become an issue over time.

The higher priced power strips, designed for aquariums, are likely more resilient to this issue. This cheap unit, likely will fail over time. IDK. For now, it serves its purpose.
Google Apex EB32 repair and look at the inside of it in the pics. They aint no better lol. I own a few of them, and they all work, but aint no better than cheap stuff for the components lol.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Jedi1199 I have two. TSA Fading Star and the AquaSD Ultra
IMG_20220422_102004765~2.jpg

I've got a couple of gonis as well.
Two SBB - a Daisy Chain and a Rainbow Garden
IMG_20220102_193948257~2.jpg

And a Reef Chasers Green Alveopora (ended up being a super beautiful purple/pink with neon green mouths Goni)
IMG_20220518_185455327~2.jpg

It's so hard to get true color on this one even with filters and lenses. It's usually my super bright ones that fail photos.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yeah, you shared that the day my strip came in the mail. I had already purchased a couple of the Kasa programmable plugs so I'm good for now.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a light film of algae when I got home from Missouri. I added 3 margaritas, 2 cerith, 2 nassarius, a stomatella, 2 clowns, and another bag of live sand and all algae disappeared. It's just starting to grow on the rocks but the margaritas are staying ahead of it.

I ordered a large CUC from ReefCleaners.com that arrived last week. Sad to say, most of the larger snails and one of the crabs were DOA. I followed preicely the instructions they sent but dead is dead.

The algae on the glass is one of those types that literally is back in a couple hours.

I know that my tank, even though it is an upgrade, I also have to look at from the perspective of a "New Build". Such a large volume increase, along with the large amount of new substrate makes this inevitable.

I haven't even begun to add new rocks yet.

I have about 50 pounds of rock that I started curing about 7 weeks ago. I took it out last week to dry so I can cut it up and build the new scape I have planned.

I figure I will get that done in the next day or so... then back into the cure bucket for another 4 or 5 weeks.

On the positive side, did the first round of water testing this morning and everything is spot on. Kinda puts a damper on the "you must wash your sand or the stars will fall from the sky" camp.. lol

Who comes up with this nonsense anyways?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I see hints of pink in this pic. Maybe it's the photo? Bottom left, not center right.
Definitely has some pink in it. The tentacles are pink and the mouths have a little pink, I just wouldn't call it Ultra Pink.
IMG_20220604_195214857.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a large CUC from ReefCleaners.com that arrived last week. Sad to say, most of the larger snails and one of the crabs were DOA. I followed preicely the instructions they sent but dead is dead.

The algae on the glass is one of those types that literally is back in a couple hours.

I know that my tank, even though it is an upgrade, I also have to look at from the perspective of a "New Build". Such a large volume increase, along with the large amount of new substrate makes this inevitable.

I have about 50 pounds of rock that I started curing about 7 weeks ago. I took it out last week to dry so I can cut it up and build the new scape I have planned.

I figure I will get that done in the next day or so... then back into the cure bucket for another 4 or 5 weeks.

On the positive side, did the first round of water testing this morning and everything is spot on. Kinda puts a damper on the "you must wash your sand or the stars will fall from the sky" camp.. lol

Lol.

I wash sand just to avoid dust storms from all of sand sleeping wrasse. Outside of that, there is really no need to wash new sand.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I have my ReefCleaners cart saved. It's so hot here they wouldn't ship it even if I ordered it. I'm waiting until probably September to order an new corals or CUC.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely has some pink in it. The tentacles are pink and the mouths have a little pink, I just wouldn't call it Ultra Pink.
IMG_20220604_195214857.jpg
Ultra is being thrown around as much as holy. They could have called " ultra holy holier than holly pink avle. " But, neon pink, bright pink, hot pink, I don't think anyone knows the difference. It's nice in that photo!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lol.

I wash sand just to avoid dust storms from all of sand sleeping wrasse. Outside of that, there is really no need to wash new sand.
Most of his was old transferred from his tank he was upgrading.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ultra is being thrown around as much as holy. They could have called " ultra holy holier than holly pink avle. " But, neon pink, bright pink, hot pink, I don't think anyone knows the difference. It's nice in that photo!
My Green Warpaint Clown Goby likes sleeping in it during the day.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of his was old transferred from his tank he was upgrading.
Ahh. Then usually it is good to wash, as it removes any crud that can be stirred up and then decay. Not so bad when just sitting there, but when stirred up it can decay and spike nutrients, but the worst part is it can settle on rocks and clog the pores in the rocks.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back