125 w/header fuge build

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up scoring a reef ready 125 used for cheap. Including return pumps, powerheads, wave maker, and some lights(which I might not be able to use). I disassembled a couple defunct freshwater 40 gallons and once I've finished cleaning out the space of equipment etc... I'll be building a stand for the 125. It's kind of an alcove so I'll actually make the stand go wall to wall which will make it longer than the tank. So I'll need to make some sort of removable side panels to cover the space on the ends.

Since I saved so much on the tank and gear it's allowed me to seriously look at setting up a custom header fuge. The header tank I'm thinking about would be 72"x12"x12". It would overflow into the DT and would have it's own return pump from the common sump.

I'm probably going to follow some of the BRS ultra low maintenance ideas for this project.

Header tank will be live rock, macros, zoas/palys and some maxi-mini anemones. Fish will be what I currently have in my 29 that I don't want to transfer to the DT . Yellow assessor, pink streaked wrasse, Randal's goby, perc clown, and a Talbot's damselfish. Inverts will be anything I'm interested in that would be eaten if it was in the display.

Header equipment is undecided. I'll need to pick a light and powerheads but I'm up in the air at the moment.

Shared sump will be a converted 40B. Plan is to go skimmerless at this point. Overflows from the DT will drain into a sediment settling area w/heaters then through an area for chaeto, then to the return section. Pretty basic. Two return pumps will run the DT, one for the header and another for the cryptic fuge and kalk reactor(I suppose I could just get a bigger pump that could be hooked to a manifold and run the header tank, cryptic fuge , and kalk reactor). I'll have a large RODI reservoir to feed the ATO(not selected yet). Cryptic fuge will be black acrylic on three sides with just the front clear to check with a flashlight from time to time.

DT is a bit loose at the moment. The plan is for 4 separate structures. This will allow me to create islands for different kinds of coral. The base area of lower light will be 1)Florida ric 2)st thomas & carlgreni, 3)rock flower, 4)yuma. The upper areas will be divided between euphyllia, gonipora, pectinia, and a more miscellaneous one with duncans, acans, favia, etc.... Not completely sure what to use for lighting for the DT.

Should be a fun project once I get going on it.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still all over the map as far as stocking goes. Since the tank won't be ready for months I guess I have plenty of time for dreaming :)

Stuff I'm thinking about;

Tiger wardii or pinkbar goby and tiger pistol shrimp
Ember or Starry blenny
Yellowhead jawfish
Flame Hawkfish
Blackcap basslet
Coral Beauty and Potters dwarf angelfish
Kole and yellow tang.
Would like a pair of Gold stripe maroon clowns but I'm not sure if they'd be too agressive
Australian copperband butterflyfish
Golden semilarvatus butterflyfish(x2 maybe)
A mix of flasher wrasses(carpenters, mcCoskers etc...)
Yellow blotch rabbitfish
Green mandarin(pair maybe)
Goldflake angelfish(if the price starts to come down that is )
On the fence about Anthias or cardinalfish.

Of course the list could change by tomorrow but that's where my head is at for the moment. Now off to bed and more dreaming.........

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a little progress on this build today. Cleaned out the old tanks and equipment from the alcove.
efDeTu3.jpg

Built the frame for the tank stand.
VYT7SGX.jpg

Built the frame for the base.
pbms6xt.jpg

I should finish attaching the base and leveling it, but I'm beat. Me and heat don't get along. It's time for a beer.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now to clean and prime everything. Then paint the inside white and the outside black. Not sure how I'll trim it out yet or what I'll do about doors. Problems for tomorrow. :)

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan for the sump is a single baffle(1/4" tinted glass) for the drain section. It's going to be 12" high and 12" long and the full width of the 40B (18"). This is quite large I know, but even though I'm intending on going skimmerless on this build I wanted to be able to add one in the future and didn't want to limit my choices if I should change my mind. The section will have a bubble tower for the drain lines, the heaters, as well as clams and feather dusters(or whatever filter feeders I feel like adding). The next section will be for chaeto (still deciding on a light) and it will be separated from the return pumps by a piece of aquamesh.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in seeing this one come together! Looks good so far.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Everything takes longer than I plan on it seems. Theoretically I'll have the tank in place and the sump done this week and I can work on the plumbing this weekend. I'll have to finish designing the bubble towers as well. Which means I may actually be doing a wet test of the DT by the end of the weekend.............time will tell. Then I have to make a trip down to the acrylic shop and finalize details for the display fuge and ATO reservoir and get them ordered. Then it'll be time to work on the scape.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muscled the tank in place. I don't necessarily recommend doing it alone but I can be stupid like that.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank came with 1" drains and 3/4" returns. Smaller than I would like, but since this is a softie and LPS tank I think I can deal with the lower flow. The drains are some sort of adjustable durso pipes. I'm more familiar with herbie or bean animal drains. I'm thinking of just changing it to a herbie style which should get me higher flow anyways when compared to a durso I think? Ordered some stuff from Amazon and BRS so it looks like I won't have it plumbed until next week since some of the stuff won't come until Monday.

I need to do some research as well so I can work on the cryptic fuge design and decide how big to make it. As well as how to control the flow through the Kalk stirrer since I've decided against a whole system controller like an apex etc...

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally managed to get down to the acrylic fabricator and get my header fuge and ATO reservoir ordered. Should be done in 3 weeks or so.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attempt 2 . Moved the center structure to the right to try and give a little more open space between it and the left
79083200e0700773eaffbf3463e45f54.jpg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Great build !! Nice rock work. Following along...

MR BEAN 2.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Great build !! Nice rock work. Following along...

MR BEAN 2.jpg
Thanks! It's been slow going for sure. I'd like to get the rockwork somewhat settled and my DT drain and return lines plumbed so I can at least do a freshwater wet test on everything within the next week.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's been slow going for sure. I'd like to get the rockwork somewhat settled and my DT drain and return lines plumbed so I can at least do a freshwater wet test on everything within the next week.
Yep, is better to go slow on a build and take care of all the details. You're doing great.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back