12g Nano Cube DX build

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update, Current tank setup after 4 months, 6 RFAs, 1 small clown, 2 hermits, 2 trochus snails. removed the wave maker. Tank seems to be thriving so far. fighting with a little bit of cyano on the side, Had 2 rfas melt inside the rockwork and dumped nutrients in the tank -.- my current peramiters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. started changing water ever 2 days 20% to try to remedy that.The two green and purple rfas at the top dont seem to be opening as big as before if anyone can give me any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.
IMG_20180426_204557.jpg
IMG_20180426_204603.jpg
IMG_20180426_204611.jpg
Happen to know the name of the 2 types of RFA? Exact same as my son's.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I didn't know if they had names like Coral or not. He loves them.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the little tank, chemiclean did my cyno issue in but looks like you've got things under control, mostly those nitrates. I love RFA s and can't wait to get a few of my own.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! So far I have never seen any names I will ask next time I'm in the shop. I love RFAs also.

Thought about chemiclean for a few weeks . Then decided against it. But some people have to use it if all else fails. Also if there tank size is huge and rip cleaning is not easily obtained it will work for a time till it comes back eventually due to a food source being present.

Thank you. I didn't know if they had names like Coral or not. He loves them.

Beautiful little tank

Love the little tank, chemiclean did my cyno issue in but looks like you've got things under control, mostly those nitrates. I love RFA s and can't wait to get a few of my own.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking over my tanks equipment and went back to my gph of water movement. I only have currently 106 gph which is around 8x turn over of water movement. I have a small Hydor pico evo mag circulation pump which is 180 gph. My question is where do you guys and gals recommend I place this pump? I use to have it next to the over flow opening but I am not sure if that would be counter productive?

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now with the power head and return pump imat exactly 286 gph which is a nice improvement. The clown is playing in both flows now. It very fun to watch he loves it. The RFAs are fully open. Situated it at the top left before the overflow pointed toward the glass to meet half way and mix with the return flow as @Stella1979 recommended. Here are some pics of how its looking. After this rip cleaning ,updated scape, and updated light it has sprung a renewed passion once again! revived the defeated demenor from the cyano! Im looking forward to putting some more corals in the tank soon!

IMG_7065.JPG
IMG_7066.JPG
IMG_7067.JPG
IMG_7068.JPG
IMG_7069.JPG

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested water parameters after doing the rip cleaning now 2 weeks. Looks perfect so far. few small dots of cyano in crevices I cannot reach but it looks like a kind of dark purple coraline is starting to cover the rocks. Picked up a small two headed duncan frag who is looking happy now.

Ammonia - 0 PPM
Nitrite - 0 PPM
Nitrate - 2-5 PPM
Phosphate - 0.03 PPM
PH- 8.0
SG 1.025

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 3 update everything is still looking good. A two tiny patchs of cyano showed up on the sand and some specs on a rock next to it. Gravel vacd it out and brushed it off the rock and siphoned it out. Would not have noticed it if I was not looking for it lol
Diyd a skimmer to see if it eliminates the small patches from being formed from any organics or detritus in the water column. I am currently feeding my anemones 2-3 times a week. Sand has no detritus drop test it every week. My nassarius snails have been doing a good job of sifting through the sand. I see them every day, opposed to seeing them every week.

Peramiters
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 2-5 ppm
Phosphate 0.03 ppm
pH 8.0
Sg 1.026

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update to tank. added a diy ato which stuck and started to flood tank even with double float switches. Added a timer to the ato it only turns on 30 mins a day when I am home and I have had no issues. found my clown fish in the rear filter compartments a dew days ago was fun trying to get him out lol. today marks 4 months and 14 days after rip cleaning and my tank is still looking good, algae free and coralinestarting to grown on rocks. my two favias are growing nicely and my duncan went from two heads to now 8 heads. feeding 3-4 times a week alternating between reef roids and seafood mix. also my trochus snail had a bunch of babies and I have around 15-20 small ones around the glass.

20181229_170007.jpg
20181229_170015.jpg
20181229_170046.jpg

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking of adding a second powerhead to increase for to around 30-40x tank turn over. was thinking may be a koralia nano 240 on the right side under the discharge of the rear compartment or maybe upgrade the return pump to a maxi jet 900. the koralia would take me to 40x turn over, the maxi jet alone would take me to 35x turn over. which would everyone recommend?

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I was cleaning gha off some rocks and used a little to much h202. 250ml to be exact, almost crashed the tank but it is recovering. bleached most of my coraline but it is starting to come back now, all my corals are opening up. my monti is still white from its red color. both war corals are coming back slowly also. Have been feeding every other day reef roids and started dosing zooplankton and seachem reef plus to aid in recovery. found three vermitid snails which I removed which I though were tiny feather dusters lol.

week 1.jpg

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
attached my duncan today. made a little platform with some epoxy from instant ocean, then placed a little too much crazy glue on the rock lol almost engulfed the poor duncan. he would not retract and a few of his tiny tenticles got caught in the glue had to seperate them with a baboo skewer lol he should do ok once he relaxes and opens back up.

duncan.jpg

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking better everyday, Just did a water change and tested all perameters prior.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
No4 0.1
Ph 8.0
Sg 1.026
Temp 77-78

Installed a inkbird this week after having my heater fail it has me paranoid, Would not want it to fail on. Have a small plant light coming in to light the hob breeder box refugium tommorow.

I have never been so nervous as to buying chaeto. I am super paranoid to add any pest into the tank with the introduction of chaeto. ughhh

20190731_174701(2).jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back