Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noah!
Remember what I was saying last night (post #781) about “COOL FISH”?
Now you’re talking about Mandarins? The ultimate “specialty feeder”?
Dude, there are sooooo many seasoned Reefers here to help you be successful and it’s like talking to a brick wall.
I tried to “un-watch“ this thread but I can’t help but to keep coming back to see what “today’s plan” is.
It like driving past a bad car crash. You just can’t “not look”!
looks like he just copied and pasted :p https://www.algaebarn.com/blog/captive-bred-fish/mandarin-dragonets-for-beginners/

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and here I am probably taking mandarins and pipefish off the considerations for my sump macroalgae display (and system altogether) for now because I am not sure I can sustain a copepod population even in a linked 90-gallon display, 75-gallon mangrove lagoon, and 75-gallon sump with ~40-gallon macroalgae portion... I would like them, but I will not buy a fish with any strong likelihood of difficulty in maintenance. I do not want to buy a fish that will die from my lack of care. (Maybe I will consider after copepods are proven well-established and maintainable?) At this point, I will keep them off the plan to keep my system more simple and easier to configure.

I think all of these questions show the need for patience in this hobby and are confirmations to me that I should keep taking my time to do research before asking questions while also narrowing down very specific lists of needed equipment and stocking plans. So much changes for what is ideal with even seemingly small changes in tank size, dimensions, filtration and nutrient control methods, stocking choices and compatibility (size and aggression/predatorial considerations), corals, etc.

...I am fortunate, though, since I was first introduced to this hobby as an employed adult with disposable income.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found two lights that will grow coral with budget in mind

Attachments

• 2DE9DE16-DB96-488E-A163-7A8889128BD4.png
    2DE9DE16-DB96-488E-A163-7A8889128BD4.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 8848E8AD-D49C-439F-9E7E-DAF6A42B7EDD.png
    8848E8AD-D49C-439F-9E7E-DAF6A42B7EDD.png
    396.1 KB · Views: 33

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i skipped about 40 pages... but FWIW... i've slowly starved a mandarin in a 90 gallon tank, 4" DSB, and a fuge bigger than your display.

not that i'm proud of it. i waited a long time for my tank to mature, it was the last fish i added.

J.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOAH PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!

If you won’t give up on the mandarin thing, do yourself and the fish a favor and find a site that sells mandarins trained to eat thawed frozen food! Feed it twice a day! My oldest tank is my biocube running for about 6 years and I wouldn’t even try to get a mandarin to live in it because I’m afraid it’s going to starve to death! When I’m able to find and afford one that willingly eats frozen, that’s when I’ll finally have one. In my opinion they are the most beautiful fish in the hobby and I wanted one from when I started saltwater 8 years ago.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scooter blennies (any dragonet that isn’t a mandarin) and the psychedelic mandarin both are easy to train

a) you’ve never kept ANY saltwater fish. Nor have you ever tried to train a mandarin to eat prepared foods. You objectively have no grounds to say it’s “easy”

b) if it’s so easy, why do so many fish starve to death?

You need to stop telling yourself you know what you’re doing my friend. Get some experience first.

Edit: scooter blennies are not blennies. They are also dragonets. The title blenny for them is a misnomer in this hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a) you’ve never kept ANY saltwater fish. Nor have you ever tried to train a mandarin to eat prepared foods. You objectively have no grounds to say it’s “easy”

b) if it’s so easy, why do so many fish starve to death?

You need to stop telling yourself you know what you’re doing my friend. Get some experience first.

Edit: scooter blennies are not blennies. They are also dragonets. The title blenny for them is a misnomer in this hobby.
I know that the scooter blennies are dragonet. Also, if they came trained then they wouldn’t need any special effort to keep fed, I am not even getting one for a long while

JAKos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scooter blennies (any dragonet that isn’t a mandarin) and the psychedelic mandarin both are easy to train
You've never kept ANY saltwater fish. and it sounds like you haven't researched scooter blennies as scooter blennys need a huge population of copepods and will not just live off of frozen foods you haven't even set up a saltwater tank yet and you want some difficult to keep fish? unless you can get one eating frozen which is very hard even then sometimes their appetite changes and stop eating please just pass on the fish bud.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it is trained to eat prepared it can revert back. They also need a pod population to balance their nutritional needs. Just leave the fish to ppl with bigger tanks and more experience. Like geez when I started I was pumped to have 2 healthy clowns and a Duncan that grew new heads...

JAKos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't buy the fish and let the experienced hobbyist keep them, as bribo said they still need pods to be healthy and your on a budget so i don't see you dosing pods every month and they can also revert back and stop eating frozen.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, he hasn't listened to anything anyone says, and in the end he's going to do what he wants and the fish are going to be the ones paying the price.

He thinks he's smarter than everyone else so he's right and we're all wrong and don't know what we're doing or talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back