• DDAAB90C-0FE9-42F7-9D31-3910CC2F8691.jpeg
    DDAAB90C-0FE9-42F7-9D31-3910CC2F8691.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 54

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last post here, I promise (this time). We all have to fight the urge to respond to this nonsense. At this point I have a hard time believing he will ever set up a salt tank for any of us to worry about what he puts in it. Kind of like someone saying they're going to jump off the bridge (no, you're not)lol. We all know finances usually catch up to a tank no matter the size. Not to mention half of the crazy thoughts here and the upkeep costs of those ideas (in the real world).
I've concluded it's all an attention grab, which is fine I suppose, but as they say, it's getting the wrong kind of attention. Like many of you, I've tried to stay away. But after making my tongue bleed, pulling hair out, beating head on walls/tables, etc, sometimes I just have to get it off my chest. But it only gives in to the attention that is being sought.
In this special consideration, we as a community need to turn our figurative back until a tank is actually being setup. Unless one wants to keep adding fuel to this fire. Everyone here has gone above and beyond with this individual, to not to feel bad about about turning their backs.
Now he's posting on other threads with no actual physical experience of a salt tank. Some who do not know his background could actually be listening to this non sense. I wanted to call it out, but I don't want to taint the other honest threads. So I guess I will continue to make my tongue bleed.

JAKos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, he hasn't listened to anything anyone says, and in the end he's going to do what he wants and the fish are going to be the ones paying the price.

He thinks he's smarter than everyone else so he's right and we're all wrong and don't know what we're doing or talking about.
Sadly true, he keeps on acting like an expert on other threads and i hope people don't actually take his advice seriously.. and if he does get inappropriate fish for his tank then i hope they don't suffer to long.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly true, he keeps on acting like an expert on other threads and i hope people don't actually take his advice seriously.. and if he does get inappropriate fish for his tank then i hope they don't suffer to long.
True, I actually corrected him on one thread about mandrins needing 20 pounds of live rock each to survive.
Thankfully the person listened to me, but you're right.... how many people are going to listen to his incorrect advice and lose everything and never have another saltwater aquarium.

Question....... Can't the mods do something about him?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am going to start calling him out on threads where he posts unsubstantiated guidance.

I am also going to start using the Report post tool too.

Going off piste on your own thread is one thing but giving advice to other people, without making it obvious that you have no experience and are only regurgitating things that have been read from the internet (or completely made up) that may or may not be true, crosses the red line as far as I am concerned. Somebody's reef could get seriously impacted by these shenanigans and that is not on.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was gonna do

The biggest problem I see with mandarins and seahorses is your first post on this forum said “I vacation a lot”.

They need the pumps cut and to be target fed. Do you legit have a plan for someone to do that twice a day while you are on vacation? Also someone who can do water changes for the sea horses since they need proper clean water (they are prone to bacterial infections) ?

And no a frozen auto feeder is not appropriate nor are they commercially available and don’t tell me your seahorses will eat pellets.

Here it costs me 30 dollars a day for a fish maintenance person or about the same if I trust my paid cat sitter. It’s very costly if you vacation often.

I kept mandarins for six years. I moved and got rid of them and the tank. Why? Because I wanted to do other things with my life besides stay home and feed them even if they are beautiful.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem I see with mandarins and seahorses is your first post on this forum said “I vacation a lot”.

They need the pumps cut and to be target fed. Do you legit have a plan for someone to do that twice a day while you are on vacation? Also someone who can do water changes for the sea horses since they need proper clean water (they are prone to bacterial infections) ?

And no a frozen auto feeder is not appropriate nor are they commercially available and don’t tell me your seahorses will eat pellets.

Here it costs me 30 dollars a day for a fish maintenance person or about the same if I trust my paid cat sitter. It’s very costly if you vacation often.

The only seahorses appropriate for a 10g are pygmys and they need to eat hatched live every day. FYI. It’s not hard to hatch brine but it is certainly hard to do if you are not home.
I am going to have a ton of live rock and a refugium in both my setups, mabye a auto live shrimp feeder too. If I got a drip system attached to a hatchery couldn’t I hatch them while I’m gone and drip them inside? I was thinking thst or I’d just have our cat sitter come every day (15$ a day)

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATTENTION ALL EXPERIENCED REEFERS

While Noah may not be listening, I am, and so are many others. I understand you are frustrated with the OP, and I get that you feel like your thoughts, suggestions, and advice is falling on deaf ears, but I have learned a great deal from reading these threads. I have two, in my opinion, semi-successful reef tanks set up, and I continue to learn each day. I learn through researching, through asking questions, and I apparently learn through reading through pages and pages of a very confusing thread. So to all of you, THANK YOU! While your intended target may not have listened, the wider audience did. I hope you all continue to advise those who ask, even if they don't appreciate it, because someone out there may read that thread later and learn something.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have a ton of live rock and a refugium in both my setups, mabye a auto live shrimp feeder too. If I got a drip system attached to a hatchery couldn’t I hatch them while I’m gone and drip them inside? I was thinking thst or I’d just have our cat sitter come every day (15$ a day)
Problem is the brine shrimp are not going to be where the mandrins are. Bottom of the tank and seahorses don't swim around for food.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can only fit so much live rock in a 10 and 20. It will never be a ton.

You can’t drip them inside they can swim and will always go to the light. Again the filter and pumps need to be off.

I had 6 mandarins and 5 of the 6 absolutely had to be target fed. I only had one that would swim into the water column and look for it.

I am absolutely telling you from experience these fish are not worth it in a nano if you plan to have a life.

I also had to reseed pods as amphipods are too large and will eventually take over eating the other ones that mandarins like (tisbe). My 20 dollar fish was my most expensive one to keep. Pods are not cheap and the costs adds up quickly.

You have to trust your cat sitter enough to care for delicate fish and do water changes for the ponies. It’s work and they might charge extra if they have to care for your tank and a cat.

Last edited:

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While Noah may not be listening, I am, and so are many others. I understand you are frustrated with the OP, and I get that you feel like your thoughts, suggestions, and advice is falling on deaf ears, but I have learned a great deal from reading these threads. I have two, in my opinion, semi-successful reef tanks set up, and I continue to learn each day. I learn through researching, through asking questions, and I apparently learn through reading through pages and pages of a very confusing thread. So to all of you, THANK YOU! While your intended target may not have listened, the wider audience did. I hope you all continue to advise those who ask, even if they don't appreciate it, because someone out there may read that thread later and learn something.
You're the reason we are here! Helping people who are really interested in learning and who listen.

JAKos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If somebody can learn through threads even some that become nonsense, at least somebody learned and that's what matters.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you mentioned a 10g for seahorses, the only ones I know that fit in a 10g are dwarfs and they will only eat live which needs to be hatched and enriched. They need constant care and no one should buy them without realizing just how much hands on care they are. I would say they are likely not suitable for anyone who vacations without paying someone who has experience caring for such creatures. People who keep them successfully will legit tell you that you can absolutely not leave them without someone coming to hatch/enrich and siphon/clean their tank twice a day.

Again, you can not just drip food into the tank. Even if somehow you got the shrimp to go into the tank, seahorse keepers siphon out the excess after. A week or two of dripping food while you are out of town will lead to death. Seahorses need impeccable water quality which means frequent water changes and cleaning. You also have to tank into account what temperature your tank may get with lighting/in your room.

I will probably never keep seahorses and my mom loves them too. I am not willing to just put my life aside for them. I already do enough of that for my wild cat.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice that his last post was not several posts with 1 sentence each??
More adult sounding.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it is trained to eat prepared it can revert back. They also need a pod population to balance their nutritional needs. Just leave the fish to ppl with bigger tanks and more experience. Like geez when I started I was pumped to have 2 healthy clowns and a Duncan that grew new heads...

Please don't buy the fish and let the experienced hobbyist keep them, as bribo said they still need pods to be healthy and your on a budget so i don't see you dosing pods every month and they can also revert back and stop eating frozen.

Yeah I meant to say you should also have a healthy amount of pods in the system and shoot I didn’t realize they might stop eating frozen! Even the ones that were tank bred and raised on it? They must see pods skittering around and their brains click into hunting mode! “Ew that ones dead! Time to move along!” XD

but yeah eventually I’m still hoping to have one once I have lots of pods! The biocube would be perfect if it wasn’t infested with oenone fulgida worms and has been almost since I started it. Luckily they’re contained to just that tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back