13.5 fluval

Beauty & the Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spent a long time figuring out what kind of tank set up I wanted and a long time until I was satisfied with how my tank looks. Any advice? Or Constructive criticism

20210721_175403.jpg 20210721_175324.jpg

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals and scape look good. However, the stocking not so much. That tang and coral beauty are way to active for that size tank and the orange linkia is one of the hardest animals to keep alive in an aquarium. I’m assuming you haven’t had it long as the tank still looks relatively newer (less than 7-8 months). The clown is fine though and the corals look good.

OP
OP
B

Beauty & the Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals and scape look good. However, the stocking not so much. That tang and coral beauty are way to active for that size tank and the orange linkia is one of the hardest animals to keep alive in an aquarium. I’m assuming you haven’t had it long as the tank still looks relatively newer (less than 7-8 months). The clown is fine though and the corals look good.
Thank you,
The tank has actually been up for a year now and all parameters are stable and I change my water ever 4 days, as well test my water every week. I also feed alot. And I actually haven't had any issue with the fish or star fish. I've had the 3 fish for a year and the start fish about 3 months.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank scape looks good!
I’m going to agree that the tang and angel are in way too small a tank. The coral beauty needs lots of grazing room as it ages (likely to attack coral in so small a tank).
The blue tang gets almost as long as the tank is wide fully grown, and would need a 180 gallon to thrive at the minimum.
It takes a while for a star to starve, but when it does (and it will, they die in much larger tanks), it will nuke the tank and basically poison the water with the ammonia released.

NemoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks amazing despite what was previously said I'm sure you'll be upgrading your tank in the future when your tank starts growing. No need for anyone to be saying her Linkia Starfish will definitely die. This hobby is evolving every year.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evolving hobby isn't gonna mean the star will survive. Its simple math - there is just not enough space to generate enough variety of microfauna to give the star the variety of diet to remain healthy. If you are only fed 1 slice of bread each day, no matter how "evolved" modern medicine is, eventually you will starve.

Most star fish can survive months without food so you probably won't see the impact for another 3 to 6 months.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op asked for constructive criticism. I stated the scape and corals look great but the fish selection just isn’t appropriate for a 13.5 gallon tank. Linkias are known to have poor survival rates even in large tanks. The tanks been doing well for a year so she’s doing something right.

I hope op is planning an upgrade as those fish require it and I hope growth hasn’t been stunted but from experience with a tang in a small tank it usually ends badly. I had a small desjardini sailfin in a 40 breeder for about a year and a half. Grew some then just stopped but still healthy. Then one day stopped eating and became incredibly shy and died. Learned that lesson the hard way and that was a tank 4x this size. But like I said the corals look great and I really like the scape just not so much the fish selection or star.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty family. As others have said ... a year in and you made it this far. The scape is great and the coral looks healthy. Are you running a protein skimmer or wavemaker? I agree with all of the previous posters, your livestock is wrong for a nano. I would consider swapping the tang and coral beauty for some firefish, maybe even a mandarin if you can establish pods. (Beware - the Tang Police are coming.) Otherwise, great job! That is a popular little tank!!
Any feedback about the Fluval Evo for the rest of the class?
Dog Police GIF

OP
OP
B

Beauty & the Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty family. As others have said ... a year in and you made it this far. The scape is great and the coral looks healthy. Are you running a protein skimmer or wavemaker? I agree with all of the previous posters, your livestock is wrong for a nano. I would consider swapping the tang and coral beauty for some firefish, maybe even a mandarin if you can establish pods. (Beware - the Tang Police are coming.) Otherwise, great job! That is a popular little tank!!
Any feedback about the Fluval Evo for the rest of the class?
Dog Police GIF
Hi, I do plan on upgrading my tank but from I'm hearing I'm hesitant to wait an extra half year or so. I am using a skimmer and a wave maker. I took it to take the picture because it was covering some corals. I really like the tank I live in a small space so it is convenient for me. And I love my two fish but if it lead to so many issues until I'm ready to get a 200 gallon I may have to give them up. I appreciate all the feed back.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I do plan on upgrading my tank but from I'm hearing I'm hesitant to wait an extra half year or so. I am using a skimmer and a wave maker. I took it to take the picture because it was covering some corals. I really like the tank I live in a small space so it is convenient for me. And I love my two fish but if it lead to so many issues until I'm ready to get a 200 gallon I may have to give them up. I appreciate all the feed back.
Hang in there. Many people have had success with those Flex 13.5's....

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. nice scape work and when the corals grow out, it will be spectacular.
Evolving is totally correct, you will find what works for you and your tank throughout this hobby. With experience you will also zero in on what works and doesn't work. IME, when i had my 125 reef tank, I would chase numbers and research till i turned blue but then the hobby doesn't become fun after that. Find you niche and enjoy.
I don't have my 125 any more and have been on 5 year hiatus but a friend gave me his Evo 13.5 and now im back.
1629064811221.png

I have a bit of a shroom problem!!! lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back