140 L mixed nano

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear reefers,

after many months of reading and education, I decided to start my very first tank. I have started it on 1st of April 2021 and I immediately became addicted.:)

So my tank is a 140 L (37 gal) mixed reef composed of 100 L (27 gal) DT and 40 L (10 gal) sump. Both, DT and sump are custom made.

Equipment:
2x Hydor Koralia nano powerheads
Nyos Viper 2.0 return pump
Nyos Quantum 120 skimmer
Tunze Osmolator ATO
Aqua Medic EVO 4 dosing pump
EcoTech Marine Radion XR15 G5 Pro LED lightning
Fluidized filter (ceramic rings)
Fluidized filter (Seachem Matrix)
Fluidized filter (GFO + GAC) - currently switched off as my phosphates are constantly at 0.0-0.1, and I am currently doing my best to solve this
I am avoiding heaters as I can simply regulate temperature of the room with tank keeping my temp between 25.5-26.5 °C (77.9-79.7 °F)

Chemistry and feeding:
Dosing TM All-for-Reef (3x3 mL daily) keeping alkalinity very stable at 8.5
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Red Sea AB+ (3x5 mL every other day)
NL Spectrum Nutricell (2x per week)
Easybooster Nano (1-2 mL daily) together with Nyos Goldpods
Flakes - Mysis RS flakes, Vitalis Platinum (alternating daily)

Inhabitants
2x A. ocellaris
3x C. viridis
1x P. squamipinnis
1x L. amboinensis
1x L. tessellata
and other CUCs (bristle stars, hermit, different snails, etc.)

Few softies, few LPS and various SPS

I am testing my parameters twice a week and do a regular once a week water change. Till now, everything is running as was expected (short ugly phase - I have started with 8 kg of live rock and live sand, stabilizing of parameters, etc.) and everything is doing well. Recently, I have started to collect SPS frags, and I was surprised that they are going better than most of my softies. I really believe that stability is more important than chasing numbers, and this is the way I am trying to go. I learned a lot by reading different threads at R2R. Thus, I am also here to kindly thank you all. You are really an excellent community!

Here is my tank (sorry for the quality, I am still optimizing how to take the pictures of my reef...:)).

IMG_1450.JPG

Happy reefing from Czech Republic,

Zbynek

Last edited:

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear reefers,

after many months of reading and education, I decided to start my very first tank. I have started it on 1st of April 2021 and I immediately became addicted.:)

So my tank is a 140 L (37 gal) mixed reef composed of 100 L (27 gal) DT and 40 L (10 gal) sump. Both, DT and sump are custom made.

Equipment:
2x Hydor Koralia nano powerheads
Nyos Viper 2.0 return pump
Nyos Quantum 120 skimmer
Tunze Osmolator ATO
Aqua Medic EVO 4 dosing pump
EcoTech Marine Radion XR15 G5 Pro LED lightning
Fluidized filter (ceramic rings)
Fluidized filter (Seachem Matrix)
Fluidized filter (GFO + GAC) - currently switched off as my phosphates are constantly at 0.0-0.1, and I am currently doing my best to solve this
I am avoiding heaters as I can simply regulate temperature of the room with tank keeping my temp between 25.5-26.5 °C (77.9-79.7 °F)

Chemistry and feeding:
Dosing TM All-for-Reef (3x3 mL daily) keeping alkalinity very stable at 8.5
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Red Sea AB+ (3x5 mL every other day)
NL Spectrum Nutricell (2x per week)
Easybooster Nano (1-2 mL daily) together with Nyos Goldpods
Flakes - Mysis RS flakes, Vitalis Platinum (alternating daily)

Inabitants
2x A. ocellaris
3x C. viridis
1x P. squamipinnis
1x L. amboinensis
1x L. tessellata
and other CUCs (bristle stars, hermit, different snails, etc.)

Few softies, few LPS and various SPS

I am testing my parameters twice a week and do a regular once a week water change. Till now, everything is running as was expected (short ugly phase - I have started with 8 kg of live rock and live sand, stabilizing of parameters, etc.) and everything is doing well. Recently, I have started to collect SPS frags, and I was surprised that they are going better than most of my softies. I really believe that stability is more than going crazy about numbers, and this is the way I am trying to go. I learned a lot by reading different threads at R2R. Thus, I am also here to kindly thank you all. You are really an excellent community!

Here is my tank (sorry for the quality, I am still optimizing how to take the pictures of my reef...:)).

IMG_1450.JPG

Happy reefing from Czech Republic,

Zbynek
very beautiful! Nice work

OP
OP
TheBiochemist

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So few days ago, I celebrated first year with my reef tank. Compared with the first post, I have changed a lot of things (equipment, dosing, controller, etc.). I have also faced few loses (few montis to MENs, lawnmover blenny that although eating everything survived only 7 months). Earlier, I got rid of 3x green chromis as I found them quite boring with onsets of aggression towards my anthias. Instead, I added red ruby dragonet, which is a very cool fish. Although being nano, my tank parameters are fortunately very stable, so yet, I havent faced any critical complications. Still very addicted.:) Just for the record, I attach few photos. Unfortunately, I still cant take representative photos, so maybe next year…:) Happy reefing!

600989F3-668E-4D34-BD7A-ACC88EFE3464.jpeg

62809243-D587-44B0-A824-A31A4B7F76F5.jpeg
59D1A86B-2AED-4243-8CBC-0C61A566D594.jpeg
6885FD28-1740-4E08-8418-67BA2255F29E.jpeg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back