14G Bowfront Nano Reef

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’ve been out of reefing for a few years. After moving 3 years ago, I just never re-set up any of my tanks…but now it’s time! I had this bowfront tank and aio filter that I bought pre-move, so I already had the beginnings of a cool little tank.

IMG_2686.jpeg

Tank: Aquatop Eurobow 14
Filter: FijiCube AIO
Light: will be a NanoBox Duo that I have on hand (assuming it still works)
Heater: Cobalt Neo-therm
Return pump: Sicce Silent 1.0 feeding 2 RFG nozzles
ATO: Duetto that I had from before
Rock: Marco Rock
Sand: 10# Ocean Direct

IMG_2773.jpeg

Siliconed the AIO filter in place and then we were off to the races. The hardest part was deciding where to place the filter. I had tried a couple different rock scapes, moving the filter from left to right, centered. Finally came up with something I liked the look of and was functional, then had to take the rock back out and hopefully be able to put it back in the same way. It didn’t go back exactly the same way, but it still turned out alright. I’m happy with it.

IMG_2771.jpeg

I used one of these bio-blocks under where the filter sock goes for some extra bio-surface. Had to cut it down a little bit on one side, but it fit in there really nice. Cycles the tank using Fritz Turbo Start and ammonia. Man, the Fritz stuff stinks! But it worked, tank cycled just fine in about a week. I’m trying to follow BRS’s biome cycle method somewhat, so after making sure the tank was cycled, I ordered some pods. And by some, I mean a lot….

IMG_2762.jpeg

I got 4 jars of EcoPods and some phytoplankton. Just got those added today so we’ll let them hang out for awhile. Trying to decide if I should add 1 fish to keep my cycle intact or if I’ll be fine just adding phyto daily. Currently not running any lights, but the tank does get natural sunlight sitting across from my office windows. I’ll add a reef light after 1 month.

So I guess that’s where I’m sitting at right now, just watching my pods get blown around by the flow. First part of March I should be ready to add my first coral. Maybe… we’ll see.

IMG_2768.jpeg
IMG_2769.jpeg
IMG_2770.jpeg

IMG_2708.jpeg

Happy Valentine’s Day!!

IMG_2774.jpeg
IMG_2764.jpeg

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool tank design and aquascape! That sure is a lotta pods. I did something similar when I began cycling my cube, added 2 jars after cycle completed but I also began to use PNS substrate sauce and later PNS pro bio to get a variety of bacteria over my surface area. Good luck with this build! Happy to follow along

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool tank design and aquascape! That sure is a lotta pods. I did something similar when I began cycling my cube, added 2 jars after cycle completed but I also began to use PNS substrate sauce and later PNS pro bio to get a variety of bacteria over my surface area. Good luck with this build! Happy to follow along
I do also have the PNS substrate sauce that I started dosing the day that I put the pods in. I’ve never used it before so not sure what to expect, but we’ll see!

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rock scape! What do you have planned for the AIO chambers?
Thanks! Initially I was running just a filter sock, but I removed it when I added the pods. Probably just going to run filter floss in a cup, and the bio-block in the 1st chamber. 2nd chamber has the heater, ATO, and pump so no room for more there. I haven’t decided on a stocking list yet, but if I needed to I could possibly fit a skimmer in the 1st chamber. It’s all still kinda up in the air.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some of this in today…

IMG_2792.jpeg

Put the first dose in today. Not sure what to expect from this product specifically, but I guess time will tell if there are benefits to its use. BRS recommended it during their biome cycling series so figured it couldn’t hurt. Also starting to consider some stocking options for the tank. I’m thinking 3 fish max, possibly a fire shrimp, and a small snail crew.

Fish options:
* clownfish
* clown goby
* tail spot blenny
* pink streak wrasse
* blue or yellow cleaner gobies
* goby/shrimp pairing ( I would not get a fire shrimp of I went this route)

I do need to figure out my lid situation. I have the glass lid that comes with the tank, but it hits a tiny bit on the filter box. I’ve considered just cutting it to fit, or possibly trying to build an acrylic/mesh screen one myself. Or maybe just making an egg crate lid. It seems most people have the mesh screens. Does anyone run glass lids on their tanks??

IMG_2793.jpeg
IMG_2794.jpeg

If I use the glass piece, I plan on getting a plastic filler piece for the back gap.

Pros & cons of glass vs mesh lids??

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've read good stuff about the Life Source, keywords bacteria, diversity and microbiome building. I think you'll wanna dose under the specified amount though. 3 fish in a 14 sounds about right. 100% go with the Tailspot as they are a fun personality and hold their own. Personally I feel clowns are overrated but they are of course the iconic SW fish. As for your CUC, I would start with a small but diverse crew. Ceriths are my fav and Astraea, Trochus and Turbos are all good too! Small crew as to not starve them out from lack of algae and detritus for them to munch on. On my cube I'm using a glass lid most of the time now that I have some fish. I was running topless for the first few months, while I was fishless, and the only benefit I can really detail is that the glass does slow down the rate of evaporation. Mesh will allow for more evaporation.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More goodies came today…
IMG_2823.jpeg

I need to do a partial water change before I add the coralline, so I’ll do all that tomorrow most likely. I also got my light up and running in preparation for adding the coralline. I absolutely love this Nanobox duo. It has always been my favorite light that I’ve ever used, especially on a little nano like this. I’m definitely excited to get some corals under it!

IMG_2834.jpeg

I wanted to go get a fish today, but when I called the place I was gunna go, they didn’t have anything I was looking for. I was hoping to pick a fish up locally, but might just have to order instead. Stocking wise I think I’m planning on a catalina goby or clown goby, tail spot blenny, and a clown. And I’d really like a pom pom crab, but I need to do some more research on them.

The pods are doing great and I like watching them scoot around all over the glass. I’ve been dosing phyto EOD, and PNC substrate sauce on the opposite days. So far so good, but it’s still early. I also need to get some baseline testing done to see where my levels are at. That’s about it for now, slowly trudging forward…

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have an inhabitant!!
Meet Jenny, the tail spot blenny! (it’s probably a boy, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t really matter)

IMG_2842.jpeg

IMG_2841.jpeg

Hopefully I can get some better pictures of her out more, but understandably, she is hiding for now. It’s nice to have something to look at in the tank.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost forgot…. had to put my smaller Nanobox Tide on temporarily. The light overspill from the duo was A LOT, and since I don’t have any coral in yet, figured I’d just run the smaller one for now. I’m glad it still works! It’s been sitting in the basement for at least 4 years! But it started up like a charm. Wondering if I can get by just using this light even with corals?? I’m only planing on some softies and LPS so may work… but we’ll see.

IMG_2865.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I almost forgot…. had to put my smaller Nanobox Tide on temporarily. The light overspill from the duo was A LOT, and since I don’t have any coral in yet, figured I’d just run the smaller one for now. I’m glad it still works! It’s been sitting in the basement for at least 4 years! But it started up like a charm. Wondering if I can get by just using this light even with corals?? I’m only planing on some softies and LPS so may work… but we’ll see.

IMG_2865.jpeg
Looks to be off to a nice start. Is that a starry Blenny?
Did you cycle the tank? If so how and how long?

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a tail spot blenny. Tank has been cycled for about a month now. I followed BRS’s biome cycle series and have been following that method this time around. I detailed my process above in the thread.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend had some diatoms show up. Only had a small amount, nothing too bad and really only lasted a few days. This weekend it already looks like the pods have taken care of it.

IMG_2885.jpeg

I added a small powerhead to the tank for some extra flow. I was getting a lot of debris buildup behind my rock work, so places the powerhead directly facing that area. Seems to be working so far. It’s the Hygger nano slim powerhead (picked up off amazon) So far I’m pretty happy with its performance, and the size is perfect for this little tank. Controllability was easy enough after watching a video on it. So far, I’m liking it.

IMG_2883.jpeg

Jenny the blenny is doing well. I put a piece of nori tied to a rock in for her to pick off of. She seems pretty happy with that. She also eats some spirulina brine shrimps occasionally. Love watching her dart around the tank after snacks.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change day!!!

Things have been running along pretty smoothly **knock on wood**
Diatoms have completely cleared up, and I’m starting to get a couple spots of green algae on the rocks (forgot to get a picture). I did a pretty large water change to bring phosphates down more, they were creeping up there with feedings I’m assuming. Did 5 gallons. I’ll retest in a day or 2 and see where we’re at then.

IMG_2935.jpeg

Swapped out the filter floss, added some Life Source mud, and added a small bag of carbon to the filter area.

Last week I received 3 small rock flower anemones! They have settled in well, and add a small amount of color to this rather monotone tank so far.

IMG_2938.jpeg

IMG_2939.jpeg

And as always Jenny the blenny is doing well and has been exploring the rock work more. Soon she’ll have a couple more companions……

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jenny has a few new tankmates!

Meet Nemo and Marlin (I let my daughter name them)
IMG_2950.jpeg

Also starting to get some green coloring on the rocks, which means things are moving right along and maturing.

IMG_3002.jpeg

And I’m hoping the little specks in these last two pictures are coralline!!

IMG_3014.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg

Things have been running smoothly this far. Weekly 20% water changes, dosing LifeSource mud immediately after. Still also dosing PNS Substrate sauce every other day. Not sure what it’s doing exactly (other than additional bacterial biodiversity). I need to research it more, but it’s not hurting anything so far. Everyone is doing well.

Getting ready to set up a mini frag quarantine tank. I have a LifeGuard 4.14 gallon AIO tank with a frag rack stand. I just can’t decide on what light to put on it. I was hoping for a strip light to match the dimensions of the tank better, rather than a puck light. Really considering the AI Blade grow light. The 12” one would fit perfectly, I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ve been hoping with all the AI sales lately on BRS that the blade would go on sale also. Otherwise, doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of options on decent strip lights that are controllable.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jenny has a few new tankmates!

Meet Nemo and Marlin (I let my daughter name them)
IMG_2950.jpeg

Also starting to get some green coloring on the rocks, which means things are moving right along and maturing.

IMG_3002.jpeg

And I’m hoping the little specks in these last two pictures are coralline!!

IMG_3014.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg

Things have been running smoothly this far. Weekly 20% water changes, dosing LifeSource mud immediately after. Still also dosing PNS Substrate sauce every other day. Not sure what it’s doing exactly (other than additional bacterial biodiversity). I need to research it more, but it’s not hurting anything so far. Everyone is doing well.

Getting ready to set up a mini frag quarantine tank. I have a LifeGuard 4.14 gallon AIO tank with a frag rack stand. I just can’t decide on what light to put on it. I was hoping for a strip light to match the dimensions of the tank better, rather than a puck light. Really considering the AI Blade grow light. The 12” one would fit perfectly, I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ve been hoping with all the AI sales lately on BRS that the blade would go on sale also. Otherwise, doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of options on decent strip lights that are controllable.
Nice looking clowns!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back