15 Alk too high?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't many magnesium testers out there and those that are in my opinion have too many steps and too complex especially for your size tank. Unless you have a **** load of coral than I wouldn't worry about it
What are you talking about there are plenty of mag test that are acceptable for results, salifert works well and Hanna just released a checker but im not sure of that one yet also plenty of other brands . Yes test magnesium it is important h.s

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
How long after mixing are you waiting before testing ?

high alk in a very new system is common .
let it run and cycle .
you will need some sort of ammonia source to get it started .
I wouldn’t worry too much about alkalinity or calcium at this point .

making sure the system can process ammonia is the first and most important step .
do not add any livestock until you are sure it’s cycled .
As the system matures it alkalinity and calcium will stabilize
In the mean time . I would calibrate your hydrometer to measure salinity accurately .

when mixing salt water add salt In measured amounts not to add too much salt .

the best advice : take your time !
nothing good happens fast
Thanks for the info. I calibrated the hydrometer. The one where I have it told me to put freshwater, check that its at 0 and if not calibrate it. It was at 0. I understand there is something off but thats what the numbers told me. Maybe I could post photos of the results?
Yeah agitation on the surface is good! Wow your getting some off advice here, you have a testing error your salinity level is to low to get that high of alk with out either dosing something adding it or you testing wrong. It can't be 15dkh at 1.023sg no commercial salts mix to that.
Then I dont know what I did wrong because im 99% sure that the salinity is that number then maybe my alk tester is wrong?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrometer? As in the plastic floating pointer type?

Or are we talking refractometer, where you put a drop of water on it, then look through an eye piece to match a line to a number?

Either one works, one better then the other(refractometer). But they should all be calibrated with calibration fluid. Zeroing out with RO/DI will get you close, but not even remotely accurate.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you shake the reagent before using it? Is it a new bottle of reagent? Are you making sure there are no bubbles, or fingerprints on the vial?

These are all known to throw the checker off.

I would also agree that with a salinity that low, there is absolutely 0 way to have an alkalinity that high without dosing it(there is not a single salt that mixes that high in alkalinity with that low of a salinity). On that same note, how did you buy the salt? Was it in a bag, box, or bucket? if the latter 2, settling can occur throwing parameters off.

Being that your calibrating your salinity with RO/DI tells me it's off. Close but probably higher then you think.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hydrometer? As in the plastic floating pointer type?

Or are we talking refractometer, where you put a drop of water on it, then look through an eye piece to match a line to a number?

Either one works, one better then the other(refractometer). But they should all be calibrated with calibration fluid. Zeroing out with RO/DI will get you close, but not even remotely accurate.
It is the eye peice one. I unforntunatly do not have RODI water but my water is pretty "clear".
Did you shake the reagent before using it? Is it a new bottle of reagent? Are you making sure there are no bubbles, or fingerprints on the vial?

These are all known to throw the checker off.

I would also agree that with a salinity that low, there is absolutely 0 way to have an alkalinity that high without dosing it(there is not a single salt that mixes that high in alkalinity with that low of a salinity). On that same note, how did you buy the salt? Was it in a bag, box, or bucket? if the latter 2, settling can occur throwing parameters off.

Being that your calibrating your salinity with RO/DI tells me it's off. Close but probably higher then you think.
That is what I tried to do. Let me do it one more time.

The salt was in a bucket.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GpixL_ , there is no way that your ALK is 16 or 15 if you're using Instant Ocean and it is mixed correctly to a salinity of around 34-35 ppt (1.023-1.027). You really need to take your water to a trusted LFS and have them test it for you. If your LFS is the one trying to sell you a coral with bio-balls instead of cycled live rock, I would avoid that LFS.

Your tank is new, and you have a choice. You can either decide now to be patient and take your time, or you can spend a lot of extra cash chasing problems that are created by rushing.

You do need to keep the surface of the water agitated. High ALK DOES NOT create oxygen in a system. Surface agitation allows gas exchange in your tank.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the eye peice one. I unforntunatly do not have RODI water but my water is pretty "clear".

That is what I tried to do. Let me do it one more time.

The salt was in a bucket.

You should not calibrate a refractometer (the eye piece one) with tap water or RODI water. It should be calibrated with calibration fluid.

@Randy Holmes-Farley, can you step in here. A member needs some help with tank chemistry.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So just tested it again, before I got 15.3 and now I got 15.1. Tested salinity again and same thing. 1.024. My nearest LFS is like 40 min away. I dont think they even test. Im not in a really good place for saltwater tanks. I might go anyways today and will call to check if they test water.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
@GpixL_ , there is no way that your ALK is 16 or 15 if you're using Instant Ocean and it is mixed correctly to a salinity of around 34-35 ppt (1.023-1.027).
I really dont know what to tell you. Like ive heard this and it makes sense but ive tested like 5 times and got the same result every time. The alk only went up from 15 - 15.7 and now its down to 15.1 (theoretically). I dont know what I can do differently. Ill try to see if an LFS tests but idk.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in Cali, it's the best place to start a SW tank!

I'm guessing your salinity is way off. You cannot use your tap water to calibrate a refractometer. Your salinity is way higher then you think, guaranteed.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just tested it again, before I got 15.3 and now I got 15.1. Tested salinity again and same thing. 1.024. My nearest LFS is like 40 min away. I dont think they even test. Im not in a really good place for saltwater tanks. I might go anyways today and will call to check if they test water.

Like I said, you have a decision to make, spend a lot of money chasing problems by going fast, or slow down now and do it right. Your tank is not ready for anything right now and your water is an unknown quantity. Not trying to be hard on you, just realistic. You need to figure out your testing and your set-up. If you want to keep coral, it takes time.

We want to help, but only you can choose what to do.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Your in Cali, it's the best place to start a SW tank!

I'm guessing your salinity is way off. You cannot use your tap water to calibrate a refractometer. Your salinity is way higher then you think, guaranteed.
Ok. Sure. Then how do I get the right number? :)
And then when I have that number how can I lower the params?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Like I said, you have a decision to make, spend a lot of money chasing problems by going fast, or slow down now and do it right. Your tank is not ready for anything right now and your water is an unknown quantity. Not trying to be hard on you, just realistic. You need to figure out your testing and your set-up. If you want to keep coral, it takes time.
No I understand. This guy I want the Bio balls from is telling me that he wants me to buy a coral if hes gonna bring stuff to me but ill try to tell him no but keep the bacteria.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Maybe not in your immediate area, but Cali has the most, and best reef shops in the country.
Yeah but near me there are like 2 or 3. And they are all 30-40 min away. I might go on a spree and go to every one to check it out but its pretty far.

Back