15 Alk too high?

topjago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I am going to do is put the salt slowly in the tank. Ill take the rocks out so there is only sand.
I would recommend just putting one cup at a time and don’t dump it in just sprinkle it. And wait 5min and do it again you don’t want the water to be super cloudy when adding more salt let it mix a bit. It’s been my experience that if you do this there won’t be any precipitation.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I would recommend just putting one cup at a time and don’t dump it in just sprinkle it. And wait 5min and do it again you don’t want the water to be super cloudy when adding more salt let it mix a bit. It’s been my experience that if you do this there won’t be any precipitation.
Ok will do thanks

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Reefkeeping magazine in June 2004 Randy wrote:

To produce a 3.714 weight percent sodium chloride solution, dissolve 1 teaspoon (6.20 grams) of Morton's Iodized Salt in 161 mL (161 g) of freshwater (making a total volume of about 163 mL after dissolution of the salt). This solution can be scaled up as desired.

How would this solution compare to the solution below when used on a refractomer.

This 3.65 weight percent sodium chloride solution can be made by dissolving 3.65 grams of sodium chloride in 96.35 grams (mL) of purified freshwater. This recipe can be scaled to any appropriate size if suitable instruments are available (36.5 grams in 963.5 grams (mL) of water, 0.365 grams in 9.635 g (mL) of water, etc.).

They both reference a salinity of 35. Just curious how when one is 3.65 weight percent and the other is 3.714.

Thanks
Drew

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I should use 2000g of purified water right?

Repeating exactly what I posted above:

This 3.65 weight percent sodium chloride solution can be made by dissolving 3.65 grams of sodium chloride in 96.35 grams (mL) of purified freshwater. This recipe can be scaled to any appropriate size if suitable instruments are available (36.5 grams in 963.5 grams (mL) of water, 0.365 grams in 9.635 g (mL) of water, etc.).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Reefkeeping magazine in June 2004 Randy wrote:

To produce a 3.714 weight percent sodium chloride solution, dissolve 1 teaspoon (6.20 grams) of Morton's Iodized Salt in 161 mL (161 g) of freshwater (making a total volume of about 163 mL after dissolution of the salt). This solution can be scaled up as desired.

How would this solution compare to the solution below when used on a refractomer.

They both reference a salinity of 35. Just curious how when one is 3.65 weight percent and the other is 3.714.

Thanks
Drew

The three recipes in the article are given for three different types of devices. They use sodium chloride to match the properties of seawater for the device type. One matches refractive index, one matches conductivity, and one matches density. You need to use the recipe that matches the properties for the device type you are using.

3.65 wt percent NaCl is for a refractometer.
3.714 wt percent NaCl is for a hydrometer
3.29 wt percent naCl is for a conductivity meter

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The three recipes in the article are given for three different types of devices. They use sodium chloride to match the properties of seawater for the device type. One matches refractive index, one matches conductivity, and one matches density. You need to use the recipe that matches the properties for the device type you are using.

I bought dr tim’s one and only bacteria and dr tim’s ammonia. Is the ammonia one drop per gallon? Also do they both need to be stored in the refrigerator until I fill up the tank with the water? Thanks

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For the ammonia I would recommend half the amount, then test it. Give it about 1 hour between adding and doing the test. Based on the test add a bit more then check again. You want ~2-4 ppm. No more than 5. More is not better.

Easier to put it in then to take it out.

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you. I had been using the 3.714 with a refractometer. Time to remix.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
For the ammonia I would recommend half the amount, then test it. Give it about 1 hour between adding and doing the test. Based on the test add a bit more then check again. You want ~2-4 ppm. No more than 5. More is not better.

Easier to put it in then to take it out.
So 25 drops for example?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, half the amount of ammonia, then test.

You ideally want 2 to 4ppm ammonia. Anywhere between is fine, but you want at least 2ppm.

My experience with Dr. Tim's was that I did just a bit more then half what was said to dose.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Agree, half the amount of ammonia, then test.

You ideally want 2 to 4ppm ammonia. Anywhere between is fine, but you want at least 2ppm.

My experience with Dr. Tim's was that I did just a bit more then half what was said to dose.
Ok! thanks

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, and I don't mean to say this to be rude, or mean. But you really don't seem to know what your doing. Having a read through the stickies, or even watching the BRS 360(many of the BRS videos are packed full of juicy info, if you don't mind the occasional sales pitch) on youtube would help you immensely.

It would help us, by helping you. We don't mind the noob questions(we answer them all the time, and kind of why we are here. To help each other, and share information). but 99% of what your asking can be answered in the stickies, or in BRS videos.

I believe BRS even has a 20 minute guide series for starting a SW tank. Everything from the extreme basics, to advanced topics.

After you have watched some videos, and read the stickies, then come on back and ask away. We love to help, and I only write this to actually help you.

BTW, the stickies are at the top of "New To Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here" section. Right now we are in the "Reef Chemistry" section.

Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy's patience is a thing of beauty...

@GpixL_ a lot of advice on this thread outside of the direct alk question. If budget is remotely a concern for you, every second you spend reading and watching videos of reputable people will only help you be more successful and save money.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruh. Its not possible to use tubes for this. Im using buckets.
Tell me, how can I get water from a RODI unit that takes out 2 gallons of water an hour UPWARDS to the second story and into the tank? You cant. So buckets it is.

You can drill a float valve into the bucket and put it near the tank , even crazier idea get a bigger container and an ATO.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back