minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think applying reef superglue (I m not sure if regular superglue is safe) to the acrylic and tank, and then siliconing it would secure them a bit more? Maybe also scuffing the edge of the acrylic to create a better bond? Just got the acrylic sheets in and a laser cutter that I haven’t tried yet.
I’m super lucky my dad owns a construction shop/warehouse that he lets me use for my projects :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Here’s the finished glass sump I made, I’m thinking I might need a brace in the middle after I add the baffles. I have a stainless steel frame on it, the top I covered it with a thin plastic border and the bottom I coated it in a marine primer, I might paint it black to match.
I would not use super glue on acrylic. It doesn't stick well without a special primer and it won't add anything to the process. The silicone by itself will work fine if you use thick enough stock and put it on both sides.

You can Google aquarium glass safety calculator if concerned about your sump. Ideally you want a safety factor of 7 or greater. Good luck!!

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Sort of an update :confounded-face: I changed my mind andnow I’m making it into an eel tank with internal cave setups. My smaller tank that I set up right now, I integrated the caves, and they love it! Buuuut I think I can work on the look of it to be better looking to the eyes. Their tank basically has a lot of pvc covered in rocks so it looks like a giant tank of rocks with my banana eel poking out of the caves lol sooo with looking at my giant empty tank I wanted to reattempt the caves with three separate cave systems of different sizes for my eels:smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes: and when I do that I’m going to change my horses to the long tank the eels are in eventually. I’ve been getting into predatory fish and so far my corals don’t mind and my eels are healthy :3

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back