150 gallon tank suggestions for 2022

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’m new here but have been reading r2r forums for a long time.
I‘m getting ready to upgrade from my current 75 gallon reef tank to a 150 gallon (60”x24”x24”). I’ve been in the hobby since the 90s but my current tank is 6 years old; so I’m not too knowledgeable about which manufacturers are good ones in 2022. Not a lot of info on the 150 sized models (that I could find) out there that’s recent.
Red Sea and others that require you to buy there stands are a no-go. I want to build my own; lots of experience with that sort of thing. I’ve read mixed reviews of Fiji cube, but nothing recent. Innovative marine only offers a lagoon style in 150 gallons. And I’ve read mixed reviews regarding SCA tanks.
Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest Cade, Red Sea or Waterbox - because in addition to the stand you also get the sump and plumbing.

Nothing wrong with Lagoon style (you definitely don't get as wet!)

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had same issues looking to upgrade, have my own custom stand that I’ve built and synergy reef sump so didn’t want to waste money on stand and sump that I won’t use. Went with innovative marine.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I can do lagoon style because the size won’t fit well in the room. I need something rectangular and not square. Hmmm, I’ll keep looking I guess.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting to do glass or acrylic? Need to buy something off the shelf or open to ordering something?

I would suggest looking at some of the "custom" tank manufacturers. A lot of them have standard sizes for very reasonable money. Might be able to find what you are looking for that way.

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just a sample size of one, of course, but I recently moved my 180 into our new house and went with a 150 from SCA. Couldn't really be more happy with it. Seemingly great craftsmanship, no bubbles in silicone, etc. Price was great and shipping was great - no surprises during the whole transaction (which is a good thing).

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mediocre experience with SCA, but I purchased my tank last year in March right as everything was getting crazy, so I imagine he was swamped with orders.
I like my tank overall but find the flow and noise a bit difficult to fine tune unless the sump is very full.
I think whatever tank you go with is greatly dictated by your budget. :)

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely have one of the best price/quality ratios available. You get a really nice tank for the price. I would recommend changing the skimmer though.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
96DACC59-9A82-4404-BC0F-2BDD45DE2DDC.jpeg

Joe at Glass Cages built me two 150s with stands, and I’m very happy with them. Their website is now revamped, so I’d check it out.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for your input; very much appreciated. I was thinking about SCA because I can drive 5-6 hours and pick up a tank myself. And their price seems really good.
But I’m not opposed to spending more….I just want something nice. I’m 50 yrs old now and I’ve gotten to the point that I don’t want to fool around anymore.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting to do glass or acrylic? Need to buy something off the shelf or open to ordering something?

I would suggest looking at some of the "custom" tank manufacturers. A lot of them have standard sizes for very reasonable money. Might be able to find what you are looking for that way.
I want the high clarity low iron glass on the front and sides. And I want a rimless tank…..although eurobracing is fine.
I agree that the custom manufacturers are good…..I was hoping to have some reputable ones listed here….ones that the r2r community could recommend.
And, again, it has to be the tank only. I want to build my own stand. I have a full shop for metal and wood and I love making my own stuff. Thanks again.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass cages has been mentioned. If I were buying a tank right now I would look at them.

I went with Custom Aquarium for a tank a couple of years ago and have been happy with the quality of product I got, but there was some frustration in the process. Not entirely their fault.

Another that I have no personal experience with, but have heard nothing but good things about them are Miracles out of Canada. When I was having my tank built I did get a quote from them but went a different route.

I am sure there are other companies worth looking at as well, those are just my personal suggestions/recommendations. Good luck and enjoy the process. Planning a new tank is so much fun.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass cages has been mentioned. If I were buying a tank right now I would look at them.

I went with Custom Aquarium for a tank a couple of years ago and have been happy with the quality of product I got, but there was some frustration in the process. Not entirely their fault.

Another that I have no personal experience with, but have heard nothing but good things about them are Miracles out of Canada. When I was having my tank built I did get a quote from them but went a different route.

I am sure there are other companies worth looking at as well, those are just my personal suggestions/recommendations. Good luck and enjoy the process. Planning a new tank is so much fun.
Thanks for the mention @cmaxwell39 Truly appreciated!

Custom Aquariums, Miracles... great companies too. must look at them too...

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vpierce3 looking for a tank can be fun and challenging at the same time. have patiences, learn and get what fits your needs the best. really should be a fun experience.

Below is a list of Aquarium manufactures (no certain order). You have many options to explore. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits
19. GEO
20. Elos
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations
34. Aquarium Marketing
35. FIJI Cube

The best choice is your choice.

We are honored that to be considered and mentioned above and we are here to help you even if you decide to go with another builder. Growing and educating within this hobby is our mission.

Make it fun!
Joe

Back