150 Regal too large for 55g?

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey Jeff/Jeremy -
I'm working on a new tank build: 55g display, 10-15 gal sump, will be heavy stocked and SPS dominated. My question is, would a 150 Regal be too large for my system where it would not perform? Could the DC pump be ran at 50% (for example) to size it more appropriately to my system? My main concern with a skimmer choice is near silent operation and the varios pumps seem to be the best on the market for performance and quiet operation.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A #reefoctopus Regal 150 will work very well on a 55g medium or heavily stocked tank. I currently am using a Reef Octopus 150 classic on a 55g and am pleased with the results - with the Regal you will have even more control. I would encourage you to consider a slightly larger sump (such as a 20 long). Good luck with the new system!

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would go with a smaller skimmer, something with a 4in body like the Classic 110 or Essence. The Regal 150 could work with a very heavy bioload but most likely would perform inconsistently no matter what the power setting you choose on the controller.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@poidog - I am also running a Reef Octopus Essence 130 on a 75g and a Reef Octopus 110 classic on another 55g and they also work well. Although IMO a 150 will work, a 110 or 130 will handle a heavily stocked 55g. If you are hoping to upgrade soon to a larger tank or already have the 150, then it may still be a viable option. Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks Jeremy, that's what I was afraid of :confused:. Any plans for a 100 Regal in the future? Seems like there is a big gap that could be filled there. I won't be using any AC pumps on this build to minimize sound and heat.

@Peace River Thanks for the help. I would love to give it a try, but after Jeremy's advise it may be futile. My other option was a Deltec DC skimmer which does have that smaller body Jeremy talked about. I've heard they are very quiet, but not as silent as the varios driven skimmers and not as much real life experience with them out there.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just a thought: could I raise the water level and reduce the air input in the 150 to deal with the larger body, which would shorten the reaction area to compensate for the smaller system size?

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere in between. I got some good sludge with the Regal 150....

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry team, one last question since it seems like body size is the biggest factor here... would the Elite be a better option, between the two, since it has a narrower body more throughout the skimmer?

Image-1.jpg

Cameron Carter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry about the video, that’s why I added pictures, sorry the pics aren’t the best either but the skimmer is definitely a beast! Also that pic is about 4-5 days of skimming FYI

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back