150w Halide issues. Agh!

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I bought a 150w sunpod a while back on here with a Current 14k... 4-5 months use on it.

About 2 months later I jumped into SPS. Algae started to grow, zoas started to stretch for light, etc.. I went and bought a Radium DE 150w bulb to plug in. The first day everything went great. The second day, the bulb flickered off after 4 minutes. I turned off the fixture, and turned it back on again. It flickered within a couple of seconds...

I took it to my LFS that ordered me the radium and we put the original 14k back in. The owner came to the conclusion that the sunpod was not 150w, but 70w because they share the same identical features and dimensions.

I just opened up the ballast and it read 150w. Radium says that they have never heard about anything like it! So did I get super unlucky and get the only bad seed in the batch? Any experience with this, anyone?

Thanks!

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for one...150w bulbs are longer and will not fit in a 70w holder..with my single end radium i needed to clean the conection on the bulb to get it to go...just a thought on that one..
Alright, so I bought a 150w sunpod a while back on here with a Current 14k... 4-5 months use on it.

About 2 months later I jumped into SPS. Algae started to grow, zoas started to stretch for light, etc.. I went and bought a Radium DE 150w bulb to plug in. The first day everything went great. The second day, the bulb flickered off after 4 minutes. I turned off the fixture, and turned it back on again. It flickered within a couple of seconds...

I took it to my LFS that ordered me the radium and we put the original 14k back in. The owner came to the conclusion that the sunpod was not 150w, but 70w because they share the same identical features and dimensions.

I just opened up the ballast and it read 150w. Radium says that they have never heard about anything like it! So did I get super unlucky and get the only bad seed in the batch? Any experience with this, anyone?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Dylan

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for one...150w bulbs are longer and will not fit in a 70w holder..with my single end radium i needed to clean the conection on the bulb to get it to go...just a thought on that one..

I didn't try that! But the bulb ran for around 9 hours the first day... :eek:oh:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back