16 Gallon Build

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a 18x18x12 SPS and clam tank with a sump and display refugium. Custom built stand ( Im a carpenter) will have a Tiled Exterior and Top edge. m thinking Light natural 1x1 tiles and black mortar. The fuge will be centered In the cabinet Below the tank. It will be flush with the face and trimed in like a picture frame.

Wife isnt happy with me as of now. But after its done shes going to love it.

I had a old 40 gallon sitting in my basement that someone gave me. I have no plans on setting it up. It was just one of those sure ill take it... So instead of Buying pre cut glass im going to try and cut this tank down my self. It has 1/4 glass for all sides and the bottom is 3/8

Here is the tank fresh out of the basement.
DSCF0692.jpg

DSCF0693.jpg

To take the tank apart i used SAFTY gloves ..... Well my work gloves to be exact. A straight razor and a scraping razor. Also a rag and acetone.
I cut the trim on the top of the tank all the way around thru the plastic. Then i cut under the inside lip to get the silicone loose. After twisting and poping it came off in 4 pieces. Then i worked the top side trim off. Set the tank on the floor and did the same to the bottom trim. Now i had a rimless 40 breeder. Taking the scrapper knife i cut all inside seams off. Now for the fun part! Cutting the glass loose. I couldn't believe i was unable to slide the knife blade in between the panels! So i broke out the acetone and dripped some in each corner. Let it sit and worked at each corner again. After 10 mins the acetone did the trick! I was able to slide the knife down and remove the panes with ease!!!

Here they are ready for a soak in the tub. Im going to scrape them down tomorrow. And try a cut.... We'll see if i can cut glass or not. I might end up buying new glass.....

DSCF0694.jpg

The jar has acetone in it.

DSCF0695.jpg

More to come later This should be a fun build! Finally a tank i want my way.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be a lil slow going were going out of town for 10 days. So im not gonna be able to do anything ecept relax and fish in grand isle! Oh the pain... lol

that novice guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i know how you feel you don't want to fish but its so much fun i call it a religion

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you building the tank yourself? I think it's a great idea using the 40 breeder.

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea im going to "try" Lol I figured why not i have the tank and never would use it another way. Because of the hole in the bottom.

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were going on vacation in 2 days. but When i get back im picking up 3 diff birds nest and a Blue tort. Mabey a couple others. there going in the 75 till this is set up.

And Im trying to think of what fish to put in there..... No clowns Need active and BRIGHT !

Clams will be picked after its runing for a while...

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Glass cutting was a FAIL..... First side cut perfect ! Second Split and It was as i scored.... i looked at the other pains and there wavy. I did some reaserch and looking at it i came to the conclusion that the others would do the same. OLD glass its just not gonna cut it for this build...... And looking under Tube light i could see scratches everywhere...... Not cool.

I want a Really nice clean tank So i guess ill pay the $60 bucks and get the glass cut and edges ground at the glass shop..... Now lets just hope drilling works better!

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Drill the holes before you put the tank together in case you make a mistake.

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i get back home I'll figure it out. the center over flow might take up to much room. .... might go with a bulk head and strainer on the back glass. that won't take up barely any room. or a diy mini overflow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back