16" sBox light for a 40" long?

• Thread starter 106334
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

View Badges
Hi everyone! Beginner here,
I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer for.

I'm thinking of buying a 42gal 40*18*18 long aquarium. I want to convert it into a planted freshwater, so lack of light won't be a problem. But I'm not sure if the light angle of the 16" sBox basic light will be enough to cover the 40" span of the tank (using the hanging kit provided with the light).

Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Beginner here,
I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer for.

I'm thinking of buying a 42gal 40*18*18 long aquarium. I want to convert it into a planted freshwater, so lack of light won't be a problem. But I'm not sure if the light angle of the 16" sBox basic light will be enough to cover the 40" span of the tank (using the hanging kit provided with the light).

Thanks!
The lights aren't a great shape for that tank. If you raise it high enough to cover the 40" length you will have a lot of light spill over the 18" width. I'm not sure if it will be enough light for a planted FW tank. No experience there.

OP
OP

View Badges
For a tank that size is recommended 50W or 4500 for medium light so I think it would be plenty, but thanks tho!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back