OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, thats what I was thinking of doing, like this.

url.jpg

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern will be my sump which is 60" long by 16". I will need to be able to remove at least 1 of 2x4s in the back, install the sump and re-attch the 2x4s. I don't think this will be a problem, I hope..

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run that 2x4 behind the overflow clear to each cross brace, instead of just hanging.

For the sump, could you slid it in from the end?

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I get what you are saying now, thanks.
I have a guy who is going to remove the existing panels and place them on the frame so I don't think I will have a chance to slide the sump in from the side.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, lots of options or ways to correct, but rockets template is a pretty forgiving guide to follow.

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another interesting twist the length and width of the current stand are longer and wider than the actual tank dimensions.. my tank actually measures 70 7/8 by 23 3/4

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another interesting twist the length and width of the current stand are longer and wider than the actual tank dimensions.. my tank actually measures 70 7/8 by 23 3/4

Then make the frame and plywood top exactly to that dimension - you want the top frame structure directly under the edges of the tank. Add trim as part of 'skinning' it for a finished look if you want. My 'naked' stand:

img_6827-jpg.497755

And then with panels added:

img_6890-jpg.501318

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see I am not the only one to question another persons work on a stand, I just got a 200g with a stand un-used and have decided to go steel to give me more room underneath and a piece of mind. Although I do like the skin so its not a total loss will be reusing the doors as well
new home.jpeg
besides steel I am looking into fiberglass FRP tubing as well, the cost is more but I am intrigued to say the least
fiberglass stand.jpg
this was the display, looks like steel just never rusts

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going steel with my upcoming 120 build for a few reasons. 1st, I built my 60 cube stand with 2x4s and while the stand itself could hold a volkswagon with little issue it just didn't give me the under tank space i would have liked to have. 2nd, i really don't want a center brace. I'd like it open for easy maintenance. 3rd, I'm planning on making a magnetically attached skin so i can remove 3 sides for full access to everything under the hood. It will cost me about $500 for materials, welding and powdercoat but i think it will be money well spent

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then make the frame and plywood top exactly to that dimension - you want the top frame structure directly under the edges of the tank. Add trim as part of 'skinning' it for a finished look if you want. My 'naked' stand:

img_6827-jpg.497755

And then with panels added:

img_6890-jpg.501318
Definitely going to make sure the edges of the tank line up wit the frame. BTW- you set up looks great.

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going steel with my upcoming 120 build for a few reasons. 1st, I built my 60 cube stand with 2x4s and while the stand itself could hold a volkswagon with little issue it just didn't give me the under tank space i would have liked to have. 2nd, i really don't want a center brace. I'd like it open for easy maintenance. 3rd, I'm planning on making a magnetically attached skin so i can remove 3 sides for full access to everything under the hood. It will cost me about $500 for materials, welding and powdercoat but i think it will be money well spent
What grade steel are you planning to use?

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grade steel are you planning to use?
That is something i have yet to discuss with the builder. I'm still months out from doing this. Gotta finish my basement remodel before i can set up this system. Is there a preferred grade for this application?

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A500 is just a standard carbon steel. It will rust readily so powdercoat is probably a good idea. Though it will likely take decades before the steel loses strength due to rusting.

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi of course the stand builder is lagging but here is a pic of the frame so far. The outside 2x4s aren’t sitting on
E31F6B95-E8B6-4B87-A844-701C46618650.jpeg
the corners like the drawing I gave him of course but overall what’s do you think so far?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good as long as the front beam ends up on top of a stud the same way as the back. What else is planned for support? For that length I'd want a center brace. Any plywood skin planned?

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4CB1DDAD-D20A-43B6-9A57-4DCA0F63E1C8.png
IMG_0570.jpeg
Here’s what I asked him to follow from rocket engineers design. Corners not followed.. yes planning on skinning with these panels.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be good - Rocket's design ensures easy assembly for less skilled DIYers and doesn't require skinning. So the corners are WAY overkill anyway. You just don't want the top frame depending on the sheer strength of screws or nails - gotta be on top of something.

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys another question, so the builder has been dragging his feet with the modification. I just found out he’s going to insert the frame into the original stand. So the bottom of the frame will not sit directly on the floor it will be sitting on the plywood on the bottom of the original stand. He’ll then add another piece of plywood for the top piece of the interior sump area. Will this be ok with the frame sitting on top of the plywood of the stand instead of directly onto the floor?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back