180 Gallon Stand

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't quite even visualize what it is he plans to do. I DO know he isn't real good at following specs of a plan and carrying through. I feel for you :( I wish you were close, come by and we could knock out the frame, then up to you to skin and finish. I also just noticed the corner of one pic a few replies back. Is that your tank with the Euro bracing? Black silicone, and looks like a Miracles tank to me, but I'm biased :)

Either way, it looks like an investment to protect. Nothing against you, you keep trying, but I think you have a following of people grinding teeth on this one. WHY is it so difficult for the guy to build it as requested? You've also been given multiple options. 2x6 on top, but 2x4 fine if built right, just as an example. You have much more patience than me!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally am out of patience but have so much time and money invested with this guy. I just want this over! He’s continuing to flake with finishing it up as well. Supposedly it will be finished tomorrow. My tank is eurobraced but don’t believe I posted a pic of it though. I gave him my exact tank dimensions as well to make sure it will sit perfectly on the frame but I bet he didn’t even reference that.. I asked for pics today to be sent over. I asked him if he could take apart the existing stand to utilize the panels over the new frame and he said no problem. Now he tells me only after me prodding him for info he’s not going to remove the bottom plywood because he said he’d destroy the stand. It appears he’s going to somehow slide the frame into the existing stand. Holding he does a good job with that. My thoughts are it should be ok to have the frame sitting on top of the existing stand bottom. Looking for any input on this, thanks.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom Right of post #57 is where I saw a corner of a nice euro-braced tank.

I also can't personally say if it will, or won't work. I lost track of all the changes and can't visualize it. My concern is he's going to try it regardless. We're talking pine 2x4's and a little stain and he is giving you a run around over it, when he seems to cobble stands together by putting one piece at a time in with no apparent plan. Lol, I'm getting mad on your behalf! Sorry I have no answer though :( Someone may be able to piece it together from the past pics though and give an ok.

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the pics he sent so far
B43AFB2F-ED1B-47FA-88F0-AED0672FB37D.jpeg
F9BE5ACF-1876-46D8-A353-1752AD05E566.jpeg

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone with a fine eye may find something, but that actually looks good :) You're adding back supports after getting the sump in? You may be waiting on a cycle soon after all!

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a couple 2x4 back supports and a piece of plywood for sump area. Actually he just sent this pic
C1FA6120-121A-4074-B2E4-3852F0282724.jpeg

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course the two from middle vertical supports aren’t flush against the 2x6 horizontal support, small gap.. he told me the 2x6 has a slight bow or what he called a crown and said when the weight of the tank is on it the 2x4s will be flush. Does that sound right?

A2FB803B-9419-4BCC-9547-8B4B3D000904.jpeg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, being a carpenter that's built a ton of stands myself I would have done some things differently, but just looking at last couple pics, you are relying on screws alone for those vertical supports in back, and going into ply bottom does not give much meat to screw into, neither does the toenail style screws on joists.
I'd at least run screws into joists from the back straight into the middle of those joists, and really the verticals need something, so like a 2x run top to bottom like you did on those front vertical legs, or really a plywood back stitching everything together would be ideal.

It's adding bulk and more lumber than would be needed if you followed rockets template or how I normally do mine, but it would resolve some of your structural issues

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Unfortunately I didn’t do the work and the builder did his own modifications on rockets design I asked him to follow. I’ll run some screws for the joists for sure and the two verticals in the back not sure why he did t do what he did for the front and opted to screw them into plywood instead of the frame. I doubt he ran long enough screws to go they the playwood to the 2x4 frame on the bottom either. Do you think if I run long enough screws for the vertical 2x4 supports thru the plywood and the frame bottom will be good?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't like the rim joist cut in the middle in back like he did, that dropped a bit of strength.
I guess he thought plumbing clearance.

A salvage for what he did there and fix the others I mentioned would be a sheet of 3/4 , cut to width of the outside of those 2x4 vertical supports, have it from very top to very bottom/floor, and screw to the 2x4 verts, the upper rim horizontal, and the bottom horizontal.
That would tie everything together, and I'm pretty sure still have plenty of clearance for plumbing and bulkheads if it's a standard center overflow.

I would also make sure there are screws in subtop going into those joists and rim perimeter, counter sunk so they are below the surface at least an 1/8".

Last edited:

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
besides steel I am looking into fiberglass FRP tubing as well, the cost is more but I am intrigued to say the least
fiberglass stand.jpg
this was the display, looks like steel just never rusts

Hopefully not a thread jack, but @jrlg, do you have information about a builder who can use FRP tubing to build a stand? I assume the weight of the stand in FRP is less than wood and a lot less than steel?

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m going to try and follow your suggestions. So in regards to the plywood skin to attach to the back, it should be two pieces one on each end of the stand spanning to the far edge of each 2x4 upright correct?

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if I add the plywood backing will it be ok to leave the 2x4 uprights in the back attached to the plywood bottom as is?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m going to try and follow your suggestions. So in regards to the plywood skin to attach to the back, it should be two pieces one on each end of the stand spanning to the far edge of each 2x4 upright correct?

No, one piece basically joining the center, straight down middle

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok 1 piece outside edge to outside edge of the vertical 2x4s. Will this also allow me to leave the vertical 2x4s as is fastened to the bottom plywood piece?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok 1 piece outside edge to outside edge of the vertical 2x4s. Will this also allow me to leave the vertical 2x4s as is fastened to the bottom plywood piece?

Yes, this will tie everything together and help from racking, increase strength

You could sheet the whole back, but personally I don't like to completely enclose my cabinets, I'd rather have that airflow and allow it to breath,

Tying those 2 verts and top and bottom rails w/ center piece would be plenty and keep those 2 verts from racking out

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back