View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54672308596__60A5B6E7-4A5C-42A8-A5A8-B3D6A58B02FC.jpeg
54483973678__FF8CC73A-F9EE-47BD-A6E0-9261DC30DD35.jpeg
6B992705-0229-4AF7-BA9B-09B580F18E98.jpeg
8AB12EED-9478-43CB-B822-CA54825DC683.jpeg
Hey guys, I did t build this stand I had it done. I’ve been dragging my feet to get my new tank set up. It’s a 180 glass aquarium. I stained and protected the inside myself. I just noticed 2x4s are used thruought. So 8 vertical 2x4s but I noticed only form left to right 2x4 number 2 and 4 have a horizontal top piece 2x4. Will this design be ok to hold the weight? Please see the pics. The guy I had build it has been making stands for a long time.

794B13B5-A6B3-428F-A040-603581972BA2.jpeg

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us tend to over-build, so it may be fine. No idea myself, but have to say that is an odd stand. Why do uprights 2 and 4 have cross beams, and not 2 and 3, or 1 and 4, seems almost random. He went through the effort of using pocket screws even, yet left plywood just resting on the end of a 2x4.

Some commercial stands look so weak I'm surprised what they hold though.....

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m looking for ideas now how to reinforce this stand so I don’t have to start from scratch

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could turn it upside down. Cut two 2x4 to fit in for the cross braces. Stand on them so they are good and flush with the top sheathing. Pocket screws on each end, but from the rear you could run a couple more screws. Cut some small blocks to go under the ends and screwed into the uprights.

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know im a bit if alarmist about these things but i wouldn't trust that stand. Thats not to say it wont hold the weight its just that when i build a stand i make sure you can park an rv on it safely. It doesnt have much in the way of transverse or lateral support--theres little to allocate the weight throughout the structure or resist outside forces. If you live on a fault line, i feel like a decent earthquake would ruin your day.

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scooter, do you think with the modifications you are suggesting would make this stand suitable for use?

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm like thediscobandit and like everything built like a tank myself :) It would help add more support though. For lateral support you could skin the open ends on the back and leave only the center open. If I were you I'd wait for someone who can tell for sure though. Those are just ideas to strengthen what you already have. Even my recent steel stand is overbuilt and the local welder looked at me like I was nuts when I gave him the drawing, lol.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know im a bit if alarmist about these things but i wouldn't trust that stand. Thats not to say it wont hold the weight its just that when i build a stand i make sure you can park an rv on it safely. It doesnt have much in the way of transverse or lateral support--theres little to allocate the weight throughout the structure or resist outside forces. If you live on a fault line, i feel like a decent earthquake would ruin your day.

I have to agree, while it will hold the weight, there are a number of areas that are weak and prone to flexing or racking, and relying on those kreg FF screws into ply that barely bite.

I don't mean to be rude, but that's some sloppy work the guy did for someone that has supposedly made stands for a long time.

It could be corrected I guess, but it's almost easier to just start fresh and build properly, certainly easier than trying to guide you from here.

That stand would not fly w/ me as is, especially if a trimless tank relying on that ply top to not flex.
The 2x laid flat for joist support will sag, that top will flex over not too much time

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some pretty good advice here, I would suggest a do over. The structure of the supports and not constructed right. Here is what I suggest
Basic stand structure layout-Model.png

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*EDIT, JSKER typing same time, I was pointing at scooter V's pic

^^ Well, nicely done but a different animal.

It could be built w/ ply, w/ proper design, but honestly OP's looks like someone just started grabbing sticks and cutting and nailing w/out putting much thought into design.
Why is there just one 2x for joist and top support, and laid flat on top of it, among other things, no rim joist, just vertical 2x's screwed into ply, which could easily rip right out w/ just slight movement

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much
I'm like thediscobandit and like everything built like a tank myself :) It would help add more support though. For lateral support you could skin the open ends on the back and leave only the center open. If I were you I'd wait for someone who can tell for sure though. Those are just ideas to strengthen what you already have. Even my recent steel stand is overbuilt and the local welder looked at me like I was nuts when I gave him the drawing, lol.
appreciated

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do completely start over, would I be better getting a steel stand?

If you want to pay for it. But properly built diy 2x4 stand is easy to build and will be more than enough for your 180. The frame would probably cost $50-60 in material. Moreover, i like using wood because it is much nore modification friendly. Steel stands are not really necessary until you get up into the 5-10 ton range, but they are cool.

OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree, while it will hold the weight, there are a number of areas that are weak and prone to flexing or racking, and relying on those kreg FF screws into ply that barely bite.

I don't mean to be rude, but that's some sloppy work the guy did for someone that has supposedly made stands for a long time.

It could be corrected I guess, but it's almost easier to just start fresh and build properly, certainly easier than trying to guide you from here.

That stand would not fly w/ me as is, especially if a trimless tank relying on that ply top to not flex.
The 2x laid flat for joist support will sag, that top will flex over not too much time
Thx, I’m really disappointed that I ended up with this sloppy work, especially when I had two wait almost two months for this guy! Frustrated I wasted money, but that’s my fault..

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Caribbean_Shark

Caribbean_Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to pay for it. But properly built diy 2x4 stand is easy to build and will be more than enough for your 180. The frame would probably cost $50-60 in material. Moreover, i like using wood because it is much nore modification friendly. Steel stands are not really necessary until you get up into the 5-10 ton range, but they are cool.
Got it, thanks. Hoping I can at least reuse the panels from the current stand..

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do completely start over, would I be better getting a steel stand?

I'm a carpenter myself, so I always build my own or for others, but having said that nothing beats a well made steel stand really when it comes to precision and longevity.

Not that you need to do that, wood is just fine, done properly, and up to 180g is about where I draw the line, and think over that steel becomes more practical cost wise and strength wise on long spans w/ that much weight.

While ply is plenty strong for a 180g, you need proper design and joinery skills, and I agree on the comment of 2x being much more forgiving for the novice builder, providing you can sight boards for being true and straight as possible.

Rocket engineer's template has been used by so many over the years, it really is a proven design that is also easy for the back yard builder.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I've always built stand frames for larger tanks, very similar to rockets design, but I lay 2x at floor flat instead of on edge, and I also do a flat 2x "picture frame" on top that helps ride over deviations, and ply top glued and screwed to stitch all together and gives support for non trimmed tanks.
Just something to consider/go by

*Note, this did not actually even need the center vertical, but I made it removable, really I just wanted something for doors to land on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back