OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... basically a week has gone by... here are some observations:

No real aggression going on.. think i have a good mix of size and different color patterns on all the clowns.

Seems to be 4 groups of clowns staying together in different areas of tank. Might have 4 matched pairs? Or will there still be 1 queen and all followers??

Still have 10 to 12 bta the clowns havent ventured over to yet. They have their 5 favorite bta's. 1 platium clown "guards" the other 10 on the other side of tank, lol.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost month into the Harem tank, a few updates. Really no aggression to report, dont see any nipped fins or anything. Clowns are now spread out thru entire tank, pretty much in 2 groups now. My algae scrubber I am cleaning 1 of the 6" x 10" about every 6-7 days with full growth (1 screen gets cleaned on wednesday, the other screen on saturday. Clean skimmer cup 1x a week. Still doing 1 water change a month, 30g out of the complete 300g system. And I add a goby to "work" on cleaning the sand both.. might need to upsize the cleanup screw.

sal. 1.026
Ph 8.0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 0
ammon = 0

temp = 79.5

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little 1st of the 2018 update..

Added 3 new BTA's: Black Widow, Ultra Neon Snowflake, and a Ultra Watermelon. Total of bta's 23ish.. lol hard to count them as big as they are getting. Slowing down on splits they are just growing and growing.

In the process of getting way better LED then thee chinese black boxes.. not doing any justice to the true color of these BTA's.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever receive that True Carpet?

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I read through the posts but I couldn’t get if u just ordered 5 different types of percs in a harm and they get along like they do.? BRS vid was just flakes so it’s a lot nicer 2 see and I have a nano with 5 BTAs now all diff and won’t split

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep up the updates. I'm getting ready to add around a dozen clowns in my 70g with about 50 BTA's.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I read through the posts but I couldn’t get if u just ordered 5 different types of percs in a harm and they get along like they do.? BRS vid was just flakes so it’s a lot nicer 2 see and I have a nano with 5 BTAs now all diff and won’t split

I got all my clowns from my local breeder... each group of percula's are from the same clutch. There is hardly any fighting.. here and there they do show some agression by chasing.. then the smaller does his shake dance or dives into a group of BTA's, aggression gone.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 month update!!

- All 55 clownfish accounted for.. no causilities!
- Added a carbon reactor.. some bta's looking a little down and deflated.. add a carbon reactor.. back inflated.
- Did loose 2 of my bigger BTA's, One was a green and the other a rainbow, they were rubbing against my rock flower nems.. dont know if that was real issue, but removed 5 of the rock flowers and they started to recover then I was lucky enough to get them out at the 1st sign of melting. But, right after 2 quad bta's split.
- Re-did some rockwork in the front middle of tank to create more 'cracks' and 'creavious" for the bta's to plant their foot in.
- Video shot right before feeding time.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Think i am down to the queen of the tank being crowned... 2 biggest picasso's been at it for 2 days now. Facing off, little chasing, back and forth stare down. Today not so much... don't see any nipped fins or bruise from the confrations.

NemNation

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread, thanks for sharing. I am starting up a 220 shallow nem tank and am about to order 20 clowns. Was going to go with 30 but felt I wanted a little wiggle room for other fish. Love what you have going on here.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread, thanks for sharing. I am starting up a 220 shallow nem tank and am about to order 20 clowns. Was going to go with 30 but felt I wanted a little wiggle room for other fish. Love what you have going on here.

You could probably go with 70+ in a 220. My 180 has 55... I could probably add 10-20 more myself and still have alot of room!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back