180g ClownFish Harem Tank Build

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While my tank has been sitting fallow last few weeks recovering from marine velvet. I decided to make my 180g into a clownfish harem tank. Figure I should be able to buy the whole clutch from a breeder, just got decided on what species. Soo, last night decided to redo some rock work to make more room for all the bta's.

So anyone needs to get rid of or dont want their BTA's msg me. Figure I need 2 dozen to start and get growing before 11/1/17 is when I can add fish again to my tank.

Thanks...

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aquascape. Off topic- How did you do your sides and back? Great stuff?

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well traded some coral to the LFS for 2 rbta and 1 bright green BTA.

4 down.. about 21 to go!

4 nems.jpg

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they split!! save me some $$$. With me putting 40'ish clown fish in my tank.. I have to make sure I have plenty of bta's for them to hid and to keep aggression down.
I'm sure at least 2 of those bta's that you put in Will split within a week. It's typical for them to in a new system.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little BTA update...

3/4 have stayed right were I put them over a week ago.. 1 is mia, guess he is doing a sight seeing tour of the tank to determine were he likes it. Hope in the next few days I should(?) be adding up to 11 more BTA's.. 1 Rainbow 10 GBTA... Then got at least 2 secured up to a total of 12 rainbows end of October.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the walk-a-thon is on!! Picked up 9 GBTA's from a fellow reefer in the area! after the 1 hr acclimation period to my water in the tank they went! Turned all my power head and pumps off till I got them in place and there foot was attached. So I tried to place them were I would like them.. but we all know 99/100 there gonna be strolling around for a while.. hence I removed my remaining coral to the sand. A few shots of them finding a happy home:

20170917_194634.jpg

20170917_194750.jpg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Those green ones have purple tips? That's incredible.

Are you only filling it with BTA's?

I think it's funny 99/100 will start walking. They will first go tap your corals on the sand, then find a good spot most likely =X

I was thinking of BTAs too, but I want to keep ocellaris, and with my luck, 100% sure the ocellaris will just go host the powerhead rather than any BTA. So I'm hoping to find some beautiful H. Magnifica to increase my luck of the clowns accepting the anemone as a host.

FinnyGyrrl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update.. been 1 week now since I added 9 (only 7 made it) GBTA... and add 1 RBTA this past Thursday. My total is up to 13 BTA's... about 1/2 way there to my starting point of 24. Redid some rock work to get a couple to move into view.. lol

Can you tell me please which powerheads you use? Placement? Recommendations? (Coming from, a history of past anemones who felt urgent need to investigate powerheads!!) Thanks!!
Beautiful tank.
Love how you designed your rock!!!

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me please which powerheads you use? Placement? Recommendations? (Coming from, a history of past anemones who felt urgent need to investigate powerheads!!) Thanks!!
Beautiful tank.
Love how you designed your rock!!!

I run 2 of the newest jeabo 40's.. about 2/3 high on each side of the tank centered. My only draw back is I cant move them due to the 3D rock wall, only run them on speed setting 2 out of 10 and only turned up 1/4 on the slow to fast dial. I also have the foam cover on the power heads as well.

OP
OP
zagviper71

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why we remove all corals when putting the BTA's in a tank.. lol. Everyone was happy for 2 weeks.. then it started! Walk-a-thon! Only 3 stay put.. the others have no mind and are exploring the country side now for 2 days and yes I do have power head guards!! Might downsize my power heads from a 40 down to a 20. See if I can cut back the flow a little more, already have the 40's on lowest speed and fan pulse. Notice the GBTA in the center is about 9" diameter if he would lay flat!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back