180g tank repair help

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I just picked up a used 180g 72x 24 x24 drilled tank that I could use a little help/advice with.

First, I think i got a great deal on this tank at $150! So I just grabbed it up and am hoping to upsize from a 125g to it.

Issues:

1) bottom seam near brace about to blow the seam. Actually I think it already did and that's why it was sold...

What caught my eye was while looking down the length of the glass for signs of bowing, i saw 1 spot where the outer side of the bottom frame (not the glass) was seamingly pushed out. There was a gap between it and the glas when the rest of the frame had none.
uploadfromtaptalk1395637891087.jpg

Notice it is right next to the lower brace? So I look over the brace for any sign of cracks etc then inside the tank. No cracks or wear on the brace but this is what I found inside.
uploadfromtaptalk1395638065908.jpg

And i could see a very small remnant of a water trickle on the inside of the brace.

This is what I'm thinking to do and please, if I'm wrong or you have a better idea, tell me. I think I should thouroughly clean out the gap between the glass outside and frame and fill with sealant and then reseal the entire inside of the tank. Why the whole tank? Well why do just the bottom while I'm in there? But, do you think this will be the best way to fix this issue? I had a nightmare 150g and went to a new 125g due to this problem however that was a very old tank with no cross braces. Btw. This is an All-Glass tank 2 off center braces each top and bottom. 1/2" side glass and 3/4" bottom glass.

2) It's a drilled tank with NO bulkheads or anything. Plus I hate where it's drilled at :( If you know me you know this tank will become a peninsula...

It is drilled kinda odd. It has 4 - 1.5" holes and the closest 2 holes are from center hole to glass @ 6" ! The other 2 are at 8" & a distance of 12" from the corresponding hole.
uploadfromtaptalk1395639132749.jpg

Grrrrrrrrr! Lol

This is what I would like to do or I'll be forced to do a HOB overflow again and I really don't want to. So tell me if my idea will work safely if I can find someone to drill it at my house (there is not much chance of taking it to them).

I would like to bulkhead and cap all 4 existing holes. Then at the proper end of the tank put 1 - 2" drain hole and 2 - 1" return holes (I have a SB spraybar and a mid level return). Plus a 24"W coast to coast inlet overflow. Will this many holes in the bottom glass weaken it and be a recipe for disaster? Or does anyone have a better idea? Remember, it will be a peninsula.

3) Does anyone have or know of stand and canopy plans for this size peninsula? I will be using my 125g for the sump ;)

Thanks for everyones help in advance!

Jackie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I forgot to mention. The top braces had been subject to MH lighting and are a little warped but intact with no cracks or anything. Will this become a future issue to be concerned with?

Jackie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has any suggestions? My biggest concern is the bowed out bottom frame. If I clean it really well and fill it with sealant plus reseal the inside of the tank, do you think it will be ok?

Jackie

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but personally I think you should put a little water in it and see if it is leaking around the bottom. If not then put a little more in it and see what happens. That water around the rim could be from spillage or it could be leaking. With the frame bowed out, I would guess it is leaking around the bottom but that is just a guess. Honestly, I think you are playing with fire. That is A TON of water to be dealing with in the even it fails where you fix it. I hope you have good insurance.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If It was my tank I would contact some one who builds tanks for a living and ask their opinion. I would be very cautious just putting silicone on it.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but personally I think you should put a little water in it and see if it is leaking around the bottom. If not then put a little more in it and see what happens. That water around the rim could be from spillage or it could be leaking. With the frame bowed out, I would guess it is leaking around the bottom but that is just a guess. Honestly, I think you are playing with fire. That is A TON of water to be dealing with in the even it fails where you fix it. I hope you have good insurance.

Yeah, I had a nightmare 150g. Thank the goodness for tile floors and a wet vac!

However, It is drilled so it's not going to be simple to fill it. I have to get some bulkheads first then cap them off to do so.

Jackie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really isn't that bad, and the glass is not bowed at all. But considering it is also the part of the frame where the brace meets it, and ONLY in that spot is worry-some. On the otherhand it looks like it's been this way for a while, if not since new. It had dusty type dirt in it and not salt remnant. The brace is in great shape also. And my brand new 125g frame isn't perfectly snug all the way around either. But I'm super paranoid after my old 150g. so, I'm going to get some bulkheads, cap them, fill it and see what happens -outside of course. If it does well then I'm going to strip the seals and put new in, just because I don't want to set it up and then have a problem in 6 months due to old seals.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned out the gap in the frame and took some pics. At its widest point it is a 1/8" gap. It looks bigger in the pics now that it's clean. But I assure you it is only an 1/8". Upon cleaning I poured water into it to see if any would seep through anywhere and it did not. I can't fill it until I get a moving crew to move it outside then block the drains.
uploadfromtaptalk1395976939124.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395976974138.jpg

The other side
uploadfromtaptalk1395977015794.jpg

It actually looks like it either was made this way or possibly someone took this tank apart and put it back together like this. The sealant you see is on the bottom and not the side.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot!!!! Aqeon answered me and it's great news!

"
This is a custom aquarium. The bottom would not be tempered. The only tempered bottoms were predrilled tanks that had overflow boxes. Within each box, one hole was 1 3/4" and the other 1 1/2". In the past year and a half they switched to drilling both holes at 1 3/4". The glass we order for the predrilleds are drilled then tempered. We order non tempered glass for doing custom drill jobs. That is a really odd drilling request someone had. Not sure why someone would have wanted it done that way and with all 1 1/2" holes.

Yes, it would have come with the glass that way. If you drill near any edge, give yourself enough gap from the edge to allow for the lip of the bulkhead fitting so it does not rest over any silicone."

The last paragraph was about the gap in the bottom frame ;) Back to my original game plan :D

Time for blocking those holes and finding someone to drill new ones for me!

Anyone near citrus co. Fl that can drill glass?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back