180gal live stock issues

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys its been a couple months since my tank has cycled so finally added some fish, two weeks ago i added a powder brown and a flame fin tomini tang, Ive seen both eat regularly but they wont swim around the front of the tank where i can see them, they always swim behind the rock work and its kind of annoying lol. and then last thur i added a blonde Naso but have also had issues getting him to eat or come out of hiding, not sure how long they can go with out food but starting to get worried , ive had all of these fish in the past but have never had the issue of not seeing them or getting them to eat. i feed a mix of brine, pe misis, and emerald entree. I also occasionally throw in a clip strip with sea weed on it but none of the tangs are interested. any help or tips are greatly appreciated thanks !

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things that can cause this that come to mind
- is there plenty of hiding places?
- is there a lot of movement infront of the tank eg people walking past or a TV
- are lights on / off or extremely bright

OP
OP
Richard savage

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things that can cause this that come to mind
- is there plenty of hiding places?
- is there a lot of movement infront of the tank eg people walking past or a TV
- are lights on / off or extremely bright
Thanks for a response, I have multiple caves for all of the fish to hide in, like mentioned above i cant get the naso out of his cave at all, as far as movement there is not a lot between me and my wife, tv is on a wall not facing the tank. and as far as lights my radions are only running at 50% intensity, ill post a video shortly

OP
OP
Richard savage

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video sorry, a photo or YouTube link might work
56C97EB7-4190-48D6-866C-C8C8D36D57C8.png

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems a little underweight but definitely recoverable, has he always been swimming on that upwards angle or normally aswell?

OP
OP
Richard savage

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems a little underweight but definitely recoverable, has he always been swimming on that upwards angle or normally aswell?
Now that you mention it he’s level in the cave but at an upwards angle when he is out of it, still trying to coax him to eat some, just tried large pods, reef frenzy and romaine lettuce today, still no luck, but atleast he’s moving, does the angle mean anything I’m unaware of ?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what it means but when I’ve seen fish mainly on a angle it hasn’t been a good sign. #reefsquad might have some input. Is there much flow in the tank and have you tried nori on a clip or attached to a rock?

OP
OP
Richard savage

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what it means but when I’ve seen fish mainly on a angle it hasn’t been a good sign. #reefsquad might have some input. Is there much flow in the tank and have you tried nori on a clip or attached to a rock?
I have not tried “nori” just the ocean nutrition sea weed blend from my lfs. as far as flow I have a dc return pump pushing 3200 gph for the return, then i have two hydor wave makers, one on each end pushing 2450 gph and a smaller hydor on the back wall pushing 1350 on a six foot tank, lfs said it was sufficient but im saving for some mp-40s in the future.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they havnt eaten the seaweed from a clip, rubber banding it to a rock might help. And that seems like enough flow for the fish, not sure why they wouldn’t be eating after a week tbh

OP
OP
Richard savage

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they havnt eaten the seaweed from a clip, rubber banding it to a rock might help. And that seems like enough flow for the fish, not sure why they wouldn’t be eating after a week tbh
unfortunately the naso didn't make it :/
but my other two tangs could care less about the nori banded on a rock, they just pick the rocks around it lol

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, not sure what else to suggest unfortunately if your waters clean and nothing obvious causing stress I’d just keep offering a variety of food and hope somthing takes

OP
OP
Richard savage

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, not sure what else to suggest unfortunately if your waters clean and nothing obvious causing stress I’d just keep offering a variety of food and hope somthing takes
Oh no no the other two will eat frozen food they just don’t like my seaweed over what they pick on the rocks

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry i know i am tagging on a little late and sorry about your naso.. but from both pics he looked quite under weight - i'd just be careful when you're buying fish to make sure they look healthy. seeing his side spine/ribs was telling. btw i'd still try feeding nori from time to time... once they figure out its food they will start attacking it (i have several tangs). good luck.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a Naso and Powder Brown (or blue) could have problematic as they are both from the same family, and of similar shape. Likely would not have turned out well in the future.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back