OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the craftsmanship. I also built my own stand and would recommend building your own if you have the space and time.
Thanks. Yes, it started out as a cost-saving measure. I may not have saved a lot of money at the end of the day but I did get exactly what I wanted. It took me several months to complete it.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my sump, being in my basement, I am trying to keep the heat in and the plexi has helped a lot. I was thinking about just getting some white cutting boards and cutting them to what I need until you posted. :)

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it pays to have tools you did a great job on the stand I love the support on the top
Thanks. Yeah, i probably saved enough money on the stand to pay for the new Dewalt table saw and then some. Mostly I used an old Delta chop saw though. The Craig pocket screw jig is awesome. One lesson learned on the stand: Don't assume that all 2x6s are exactly the same (5-1/2 inch) width. They vary by up to 1/4". Best to rip them all to the same exact width on a table saw before using them.

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my sump, being in my basement, I am trying to keep the heat in and the plexi has helped a lot. I was thinking about just getting some white cutting boards and cutting them to what I need until you posted. :)
I think the cutting board material is good. It might be a bit thick but what the heck.

Aquamannytv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shop.jpg

this is my small personal shop I built domino tables and spearguns I love being able to make everything my self
soon I will be making my tank at least 80% DIY is debating if I make my tank my self o get it done by my friend Felix at reef savvy here in Miami I know Felix since he starter making tanks I use to make sumps and reactors for some of the local stores

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shop.jpg

this is my small personal shop I built domino tables and spearguns I love being able to make everything my self
soon I will be making my tank at least 80% DIY is debating if I make my tank my self o get it done by my friend Felix at reef savvy here in Miami I know Felix since he starter making tanks I use to make sumps and reactors for some of the local stores
Nice shop! By all accounts, Reef Savvy tanks are industry-leading. Having a bullet-proof tank from a company like that will give you peace of mind, especially if it's a big one.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

I have a sort-of similar system, Planet Aquarium, 60" x 30" x 18" (I like short and wide). Peninsula style, but I was able to push the sump and supporting equipment through the wall to a closet behind it. I did a steel stand, with a decorative shelf around it... I plan to start building bookshelf units to fill in under the stand this spring. (my shop is unheated...)

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

I have a sort-of similar system, Planet Aquarium, 60" x 30" x 18" (I like short and wide). Peninsula style, but I was able to push the sump and supporting equipment through the wall to a closet behind it. I did a steel stand, with a decorative shelf around it... I plan to start building bookshelf units to fill in under the stand this spring. (my shop is unheated...)
Thanks. I wish I had a space I could use behind the wall. In my case its a hallway to the laundry and garage. I will eventually run 1/4" RO tubing through the wall and out to the garage where I have my RO system and mixing station so I can eliminate the 10-gallon ATO reservoir. I hate having to fill that up twice a week.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see your build thread! As you may or may not remember, I have the exact same tank as you. I FINALLY got mine running a couple weeks ago. I'll be updating my build thread as soon as I get a chance to take some pics. I like your aquascape. I went barebottom on mine, primarily because it's SPS only and has A LOT of flow.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I wish I had a space I could use behind the wall. In my case its a hallway to the laundry and garage. I will eventually run 1/4" RO tubing through the wall and out to the garage where I have my RO system and mixing station so I can eliminate the 10-gallon ATO reservoir. I hate having to fill that up twice a week.

Yeah, my wife wasn't real excited about giving up our hall closet... I despise working on my knees... I'm too old and fat for that anymore. This was the only way I could come up with where I never again have to bend down to do regular maintenance. Bought a coat tree for the hallway :)

Do a bit of investigation before you toss out that ATO reservoir. RO/DI systems work better when they're running for a substantial amount of time. Just hooking the RO/DI system to a solenoid and float switch works... but you won't get the same kind of results you get when you can run the system for an hour or two at a time.

Just because you have a reservoir doesn't mean you have to manually fill it. Mine runs on a timer... solenoid opens every other day, for 2 hours. Water line into the reservoir goes through a float valve, which normally stops the water when full. A float switch, above the float valve, wired into the solenoid directly, will cut power to the NC solenoid if the float valve fails. So... 5g reservoir, refills all by itself every other morning. RO/DI system runs about 2 hours every time it starts up.

I just picked up a few horizontal float switches, and built a DIY breakout box for my Apex. Going to tie the ATO refill to the Apex, so that I've got a little more control and visibility into the process.

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see your build thread! As you may or may not remember, I have the exact same tank as you. I FINALLY got mine running a couple weeks ago. I'll be updating my build thread as soon as I get a chance to take some pics. I like your aquascape. I went barebottom on mine, primarily because it's SPS only and has A LOT of flow.[/QUOT
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing yours. Yes, I remember well. You had to get it down into the basement. For the aquascape, I didn't want to skimp on rock and I wanted at least two separate mounds with a canyon between them which I was able to do. I wanted an island too but sort of ran out of space. I actually didn't spend much time on the aquascape, just started stacking rocks loosely until they were gone. There are a lot of voids and caves in the mounds and the fish have plenty of room to swim around inside them, hide and sleep. Debated doing bare bottom. I have that on my 55 gallon QT system and it is nice if you have enough flow to keep it clean. That tank has one MP40 and it does the job.

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my wife wasn't real excited about giving up our hall closet... I despise working on my knees... I'm too old and fat for that anymore. This was the only way I could come up with where I never again have to bend down to do regular maintenance. Bought a coat tree for the hallway :)

Do a bit of investigation before you toss out that ATO reservoir. RO/DI systems work better when they're running for a substantial amount of time. Just hooking the RO/DI system to a solenoid and float switch works... but you won't get the same kind of results you get when you can run the system for an hour or two at a time.

Just because you have a reservoir doesn't mean you have to manually fill it. Mine runs on a timer... solenoid opens every other day, for 2 hours. Water line into the reservoir goes through a float valve, which normally stops the water when full. A float switch, above the float valve, wired into the solenoid directly, will cut power to the NC solenoid if the float valve fails. So... 5g reservoir, refills all by itself every other morning. RO/DI system runs about 2 hours every time it starts up.

I just picked up a few horizontal float switches, and built a DIY breakout box for my Apex. Going to tie the ATO refill to the Apex, so that I've got a little more control and visibility into the process.

I've thought about trying to do something like that. I have a 65 gallon RO storage tank and I fill it manually (ball valve from supply line) when it gets low and turn the valve off and bleed the pressure when its full (the RO unit has an auto shutoff valve but I use the manual valve anyway). For the ATO, I would insert a 1/4" rigid plastic tube down from the top of the RO storage tank about 24" so I have 25 gallons or so before I have to refill it. Now that I'm writing this, it sounds pretty inefficient so I'll need to look into a more automated solution like yours!

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see your build thread! As you may or may not remember, I have the exact same tank as you. I FINALLY got mine running a couple weeks ago. I'll be updating my build thread as soon as I get a chance to take some pics. I like your aquascape. I went barebottom on mine, primarily because it's SPS only and has A LOT of flow.

I messed up my first reply so I'm redoing it: Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing yours. Yes, I remember well. You had to get it down into the basement. For the aquascape, I didn't want to skimp on rock and I wanted at least two separate mounds with a canyon between them which I was able to do. I wanted an island too but sort of ran out of space. I actually didn't spend much time on the aquascape, just started stacking rocks loosely until they were gone. There are a lot of voids and caves in the mounds and the fish have plenty of room to swim around inside them, hide and sleep. Debated doing bare bottom. I have that on my 55 gallon QT system and it is nice if you have enough flow to keep it clean. That tank has one MP40 and it does the job.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful reef!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back