187 Gallon Peninsula Build

Tim P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought someone hijacked my thread on another reefing site haha. Awesome build.
Here's the start of my now 200G (was 187g with the first tank that sprung a leak) as a room-dividing peninsula
Good luck with the growout phase!

20180218_113923.jpg

20180218_113825.jpg

Paul.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Ash,
Beautiful tank and build. Thanks for the thread. I am thinking of buying the same dimensions tank, however with an internal overflow. Do you have any regrets regarding the dimensions of the tank? Did you think about a closed loop system? How is your flow with your current power heads? How tall is your stand? I am thinking of a shorter stand, maybe 30-31” in height because the tank will be in the middle of our family room next to our couches. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Paul

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much, Paul! I have no real regrets about the dimensions given that this was the max I could fit in the available space. Another 12" in length would be nice for aquascape to get more separation between rock mounds and maybe room for a small island. I like the 30" width and I needed that for the width of the sump and electric alcove.

I don't think a closed loop is necessary anymore with the internal pumps that are now available. I really like the Gyres (one at each end) and they provide plenty of flow in combination with the nozzles from the return pump. The "advanced controller" includes some nice random flow modes that adjust for night time. The cable for the one on the viewing end is not an issue for me. The "profile" of these pumps is fairly non-obtrusive both internally and externally. I used little adhesive-backed plastic clips and ran the cable down the black silicone corner joint so its not that noticeable. The Gyres do require regular cleaning to maintain strong flow.

My stand is 38" tall which provides a nice viewing height from a standing position and also vertical clearance inside for large skimmers, plumbing, etc. It seems like the "trend" is to go a little taller than traditional. Also, you need enough clearance to remove the skimmer from the sump. Mine barely clears for removal but it does have a larger-than-typical base being a recirculating type. I do need a small step stool to reach the bottom of the tank with my hand. Good luck and have fun with your project!

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup! How's the tank doing?
Thanks, much! Here is a current photo. I'm having trouble with acros browning, usually starting at the tips. I also don't seem to be able to keep chalices long term. I was using the ATI factory program for my lights but I bought a par meter and found I have 0ver 600 par in the middle third of the tank 6" below the water surface. I adjusted the lights down to 65% which reduced par to around 420 during the peak light period (maybe still too high). Alk is stable although I've recently had some dosing issues with Cal and trace elements (Aquaforest Components 1 and 3) due to bad calibration and a disconnected dosing hose. I did have a major Aiptasia infestation for a long time but finally won the war with help of Aiptasia X and a matted filefish. Also added to MP40 to back wall which has greatly improved the flow.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build @BigAsh !!! Love the peninsula's tanks. Nice rock scape.

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that would be too wide for how long it is?
I think its a matter of appearance and personal preference. To my eye, 50% of the length is a good ratio visually but extra width is great for aquascaping and providing more space in the cabinet. Also consider lighting.

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely gorgeous.. amazing job on the stand and setup. One question how did you attach he gyre on the overflow? I have two of them and I am building a 220 peninsula and am looking to do that as well.

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely gorgeous.. amazing job on the stand and setup. One question how did you attach he gyre on the overflow? I have two of them and I am building a 220 peninsula and am looking to do that as well.
Thanks much. I put the Gyre magnet inside the inner overflow box. I might have had to cut one of the internal plastic braces for it to fit. Good luck!

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much. I put the Gyre magnet inside the inner overflow box. I might have had to cut one of the internal plastic braces for it to fit. Good luck!

Thank you one more question how long has it been in there and has it rusted or caused any issues are they sealed good enough?

OP
OP
BigAsh

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you one more question how long has it been in there and has it rusted or caused any issues are they sealed good enough?
My 2nd Gen Gyre magnet was in there for 2 years with no corrosion or deterioration. I have the 3rd Gen now but its only been in about 4 months. It has a smaller magnet that probably fits better. Either one works with the Shadow Overflow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back